Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Swedish Ports ban israeli Ships from docking in response to flotilla attack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yes I think there should be a co-ordinated EU wide ban on imported Israeli goods for two weeks to send the people of Israel a message. Rein in your government or you will become a Rogue State in our eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Fair play to them, I hope the Irish Unions do same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I think world wide protests that hit Israel where it hurts, the pocket, would be a good way to show that most right thinking people are not happy with the outrageous behaviour of Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

gandalf wrote: »
    Yes I think there should be a co-ordinated EU wide ban on imported Israeli goods for two weeks to send the people of Israel a message. Rein in your government or you will become a Rogue State in our eyes.

I agree, but I'd go with a 6 month ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Yes, as Israel is violating numerous UN resolutions, and have not been put under sanctions by Western governments, and not to mentioned violating various agreements. Meanwhile, the Palestinians are regularly punished, for there own mis-deeds, and seeing as the Western governments are unwilling to redress this blatant double standard, then I feel that actions like that taken by the Swedish ports workers Union are needed, and also need to repeated by others as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

Well done to the Swedes, is time we all showed Israel they cant get away with that sh*t, it sends a message to the USA too

Fair play to them, I hope the Irish Unions do same.

Well if the Irish Unions want to regain any semblance of respect with the General Public here this would be a very good place to start.

gandalf wrote: »
    Well if the Irish Unions want to regain any semblance of respect with the General Public here this would be a very good place to start.

Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I hope it happens here. A month at the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

No doubt the Irish Unions will support it.

Anything to avoid doing anything positive and constructive.

Negative tactics all the way.

This kind of stuff always garners support in the squats, and amongst losers and deadbeats, the non contributors and state assisted drones.

Anyone with a constructive outlook would ignore it.

• Advertisement

And rightly so,

A clear concience is better than all the money in the world. :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Anything to avoid doing anything positive and constructive.

Negative tactics all the way.

This kind of stuff always garners support in the squats, and amongst losers and deadbeats, the non contributors and state assisted drones.

Anyone with a constructive outlook would ignore it.

I'd be willing to put money down on the fact a majority of the Irish people would support it and prove your demented ramblings wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

How can we make it happen here? Real suggestions please

I'd be willing to put money down on the fact a majority of the Irish people would support it and prove your demented ramblings wrong.

You'd have a job proving it,and fair enough if you want to be dictated to by port workers.

I however, make up my own mind ,and certainly won't be led by a coterie of workers who seem to think that they have any credibility in the correct and proper way to conduct working relationships and the principle of an honest day's work for an honest day's pay.

I'll take my lead from other source, horse, if I want an example of honesty and fair play:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

yeah the sheep will probably follow.....

Plenty of sheep here Pete, you will find that out soon enough , probably by post 110.

You'd have a job proving it,and fair enough if you want to be dictated to by port workers.

No. They'd be doing it in support of long standing principles and in support of the majority of Irish people who wish it so.
    I however, make up my own mind ,and certainly won't be led by a coterie of workers who seem to think that they have any credibility in the correct and proper way to conduct working relationships and the principle of an honest day's work for an honest day's pay.

I've a hard time figuring out what exactly you're talking about with a lot of your posts. They seem to degenerate into abusing one group or another. I'm not sure what the principle of an honest day's work for an honest day's pay has to do with a boycott of Israeli goods in Irish ports or the correct and proper way to conduct working relationships, are you talking about interpersonal relationships or what? In the absence of clarity I have to dismiss it as nonsense.

In the same way South Africa was boycotted Israel should also be boycotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Plenty of sheep here Pete, you will find that out soon enough , probably by post 110.

Heaven forfend that you should have to spend time in the company of sheep, or vested interests, or single issue punters. Perhaps a week off will help you remember your manners?

moderately,
    Scofflaw

I think you'll find those you dismiss as "anti-Israeli" or "pro-Hamas" actually have a very considered viewpoint backed up by huge amounts of historical knowledge and are neither pro or anti Israeli or Palestinian. They simply want fair play and a righting of a historical wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

I think you'll find those you dismiss as "anti-Israeli" or "pro-Hamas" actually have a very considered viewpoint backed up by huge amounts of historical knowledge and are neither pro or anti Israeli or Palestinian. They simply want fair play and a righting of a historical wrong.

Or have a point of view off their own who wish to express it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

PeteEd wrote: »

Isn't that what we are all doing - Expressing our opinion?

PeteEd wrote: »

And what exactly is your point of view apart from single line sound bites?

Be polite.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Nick Dolan

Im not going to boycott Israeli goods (I dont even know what we import from Israel) . This is another vested interest lobby group trying to swing public opinion to their own views. What anyone else does is there own business

Nick Dolan wrote: »
    Im not going to boycott Israeli goods (I dont even know what we import from Israel) . This is another vested interest lobby group trying to swing public opinion to their own views. What anyone else does is there own business

Wrong.

Right i dare say!

If you can't come up with anything better than that, don't feel you have to hit the Submit button.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

ban 'em

If they arent trying to swing public opinion in their favour (And not forgetting they are 100% entitled to try and do so) then what was the rally for? Why are they calling for a boycott if no to change peoples attitudes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Blessedly too young to remember such grim days, but wasn't it the Unions who kicked up a fuss about Apartheid?

I can't ordinarily stomach the modern unions, and I find their current state disheartening and depressing - but if they were to follow this lead, I'd respect them considerably more for it than I do right now.

Fair play to Sweden generally, their reaction was proper order and I'd rather like to see more nations and governments willing to show some backbone the way they have.

Advertisement