Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOVADO UMR - 3G USB router (For use with O2, Three & Vodafone)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Commsoft

I'm hearing reports that the O2 3G network has been particularly flaky in the last few days.

One Dovado user reports that his Sierra 888 connects then disconnects and fails to reconnect. O2's explanation is that the O2 3G network appears to be working but isn't so the Dovado keeps trying to connect.

The user concerned has set his Dovado to use 2G only and is making do with that in the mean time. I thought I would mention it in case it was contributing to what you're seeing with your trial Sierra 888.

Regards

Gerry, Commsoft

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianeoc

Hi There,
    I just tried the procedure to improve your uplink speed (http://www.dovado.com/umr_hspa.html) and I'm still getting only .05mbps on a E160g 3 modem. They must have it limited to this speed in my area. I live in Moate. I've also noticed that anytime there are high winds the modem won't authenicate with the mast. Last night it was off from 8pm for at least four hours. This happenned a few weeks back and I remember it being windy that night too.

Any one else experiencing poor uplink speeds with a Three modem?

Cheers
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Hi Brian,
    I am getting the same uplink speed - I bet three are intentionally limiting it.

I have an additional question for the DOVADO developers -
    My UMR needs to be rebooted every few days - or the internet will stay disconnected - sometimes more than once a day. I'm not sure why, but it has been the case ever since I purchased it.
    While not a major problem, it can be painful -

The details are:
    - internet goes down (I believe the E160G modem is losing its connection).
    - UMR is still accessible over wireless, but internet is not.
    - rebooting the UMR over wireless does not work, as the UMR does not remove the power from the USB modem when it reboots
    - power cycling the UMR works - as the modem power is removed and then restored.

This also means the connection tracker will not work - as a soft reboot won't fix the problem.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Hi Tails_naf,
    I'm going to contact three and see what they can do about the upload speeds. I've got no problem with the modem (It's an E160g) and it generally is extremely stable with the dovado router. I don't have the same disconnect rates as yourself.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers
    B

After being called back by 3's Techy support and after changing my profile settings and doing a few tests, The techy guy told me that I wouldn't be able to get my speeds above .06mbps. The network is limited to this amount in my area. I'll be changing to O2 once my months sub is up. Thank god I didn't take a contract out on it.

Just read some of the 3's support boards and it seems to confirm their poor upload speeds.

Cheers
    B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

Hi
    I have the Dovado UMR. The UMR calculates my download usage per calender month but my bill is from the 5th of every month. Is there any way of changing the UMR to calculate from the 5th of one month until the 5th of the next.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Commsoft

smoochie06 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have the Dovado UMR. The UMR calculates my download usage per calender month but my bill is from the 5th of every month. Is there any way of changing the UMR to calculate from the 5th of one month until the 5th of the next.
    Thanks
    Dovado introduced that feature in v4.x of the firmware. Off the top of my head, you should go to the INTERNET->TRAFFIC configuration screen and modify the Counter Reset Day dropdown.

Regards

Gerry, Commsoft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shotokan

hi everyone... im currently working here in saudi arabia and gladly that Dovado UMR already available here... i've got one already using with my ZTE MF627+ and using a simcard broadband from STC (Al Jawwal). The internet usually works fine but it's slow. my question is... how do i get more signal for excellent and fast surfing the net. also, which is better, do i need to connect directly my USB modem without using the cable or just use the cable (not actually "Y" cable). are there any good external antennas that you can recommend for ZTE MF627+. Last night, i observed that my modem could'nt connect to the network. the signal color is red, sometimes blink on green which is i believe connected only to a 2G (EDGE) and i expect should be blinking in a blue color for a 3G connection. Do you think it's more advisable to use the Connection Tracker? if so, what would be the best public ip to be used? shall i use the google.com and yahoo.com (ip addresses)

any inputs will be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Hi,

I have the dovado which works perfect but I want to set it up with a VPN router which requires me to set my DSl/cable modem to bridge modem ( ie set the dovado to bridge). How do you do this,

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 heinz57g

as i mentioned before, i take one of my UMRs constantly on the road, travelling many countries.

here i am at the moment connected to what i think is a private multi-user network LAN, with
    some kind of a PPoE connection, asking me for user name and password, and off i go, works fine.

equally fine works the UMTS modem with a local provider, either direct or thru the UMR.

what i had wanted to do though was using the UMR as the router, the fixed LAN as the
    main connection, and the UMTS modem as a backup.

thought i read in the manual that this was possible, but cannot find anywhere on the UMRs
    setup pages any page where i could access the LAN with a user name and a password.

am i looking for something impossible?

greetings - heinz -

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shotokan

hi guys... i have recently upgrade my dovado firmware from 4.0.0 to 4.0.2. i have also activate my connection tracker and put 2 public ip's and set the interval to 2 minutes. i'm still receiving some drop outs and maybe my suspect is my usb modem and ofcourse my area. i'm only receiving 19 - 25% 3g signal inside my room.. any ideas on how i can boost my signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Espy

'Ello,

I've been using Three Mobile Boadband with their pay as you go Huawei e160g flash drive for about 6 months. I never had any major problems with it that an auld uninstall and reinstall couldn't fix, but yesterday I couldn't get it to install at all.

See yesterday I popped in extra RAM and a new bigger hard drive, so I had to reinstall all my old programs that I had on my old one. Once I popped in my 3 mobile flash stick it reads it fine, but it won't install that "Mobile Partner" program or even start the Setup.exe application proaperly. AVG kept warning me that ther was a threat detection, but wouldn't allow me to heal the infection or move it to the vault because "Some files cannot be healed. Object(s) are locted on an optical drive". Whatever the hell that really means ¬_¬

It's strange because I've installed the program off my housemate's broadband flash stick before, which is the same as mine except being the bill pay version and worked fine, but even her stick has the same problems on my laptop. I tried scanning my flash stick on her laptop with AVG, and the same crap happens. I've spent HOURS trying to find downloads of the software and drivers online but nothing.

Any suggestions before I set this broadband flash stick on fire? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Hi Dovado,

I purchased the Dovado UMR a week ago to remotely access a client's premises with a 02 usb stick.

The initial setup went very well and connectivity to the internet was not an issue. Also setting up the secure wireless was very easy. BTW i'm a qualified ccna.

The issue arose while trying to setup NAT to clients within the LAN. The clients have fixed ip addresses and therefore have no need to request a dhcp ip address from the UMR. However I tried unsuccessfully to impliment NAT to any LAN client. I was however able to gain access to the UMR through the remote management interface over the WAN.

This evening I deceided to try something different. I reconfigured on of my LAN clients to request an IP address over DHCP from the UMR. Immediately I was able to access the client over the WAN through NAT !!
    One of my main servers cannot accept a DHCP IP address, so I had to spoof its MAC address on my laptop, then request an IP address over DHCP from the UMR. One the UMR had its mac address in it's table, I disconnected my laptop, reconnected the client and guess what .........
    I could access the client remotely over the WAN through NAT on the UMR.

I have spent many hours trying despeately to figure out what was going on with my configurations only to find out that you've a serious flaw in your firmware. I don't like being a guinea pig for untested firmware upgrades, and quite frankly I do not consider this bug a minor flaw !

I await your response.

Philip

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

Hi there,

Just got my Dovado today, very impressed.

I'm having, not so much a problem, more a brain teaser: If I use the Dovado I get the following speeds:
    Download Speed: 434 kbps (54.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 345 kbps (43.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 137 ms

Once I plug the modem directly into my computer I get the following:
    Download Speed: 1271 kbps (158.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 602 kbps (75.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 134 ms

Sierra Wireless Compass 888. Any ideas? Also, any plans to introduce QoS on the LAN side? I've seen people ask but can't track down any answers (search gone missing from boards.ie again)!

Cheers,
    -jp

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DOVADO

[QUOTE=jamesnp;62660907
    Sierra Wireless Compass 888. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Is the USB modem in the same exact position and angle when you conduct your tests?

No plans for QoS as you'd need to have QoS in the mobile network as well, otherwise it doesn't serve much purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

DOVADO wrote: »
    Is the USB modem in the same exact position and angle when you conduct your tests?

No plans for QoS as you'd need to have QoS in the mobile network as well, otherwise it doesn't serve much purpose.

Em, I had thought so, but I moved it right to the window ledge this morning and tried again.

Download Speed: 2605 kbps (325.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 866 kbps (108.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 92 ms

Happy Days, must have been my body getting in the way or something(!)

Re: QoS. Even if the network doesn't support it, QoS on the LAN side can priortize voice on the LAN and thus priortize it getting to the network, no? My issue isn't with the network, if I use my VoIP phone while leaving my computer alone it's perfect, it's when I load a webpage that it degrades. I may be confused though.

-jp

• Registered Users Posts: 13 abes216

Hello. Did anyone tried get the GPS tracking working? I just got dovado and connected it with sierra888 modem, works perfect, but I need GPS tracking, If somebody can recommend GPS USB antena for me...
    I would also need advice about strong (11dBi) 3G antena, does anybody has connected one with sierra888 modem?

jamesnp wrote: »
    if I use my VoIP phone while leaving my computer alone it's perfect, it's when I load a webpage that it degrades.

Yes, but this is still dependent on having QoS in the mobile broadband network. You don't need QoS in the router if it available in the mobile network. If it isn't available in the network, then there's no point in having it in the router. Besides, what good is QoS if it is only one-way (outbound traffic)?

Regarding GPS!

My personal fave: http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=140985

Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hi Dovado

Imagine are rolling out a 3.5ghz wimax (e) service In Ireland with USB dongles like this one which should not be too much of a stretch for you guys to integrate into one of your units .

Any chance you could comment on wimax e usb dongle 'roadmaps' if you have one, the discussion starts from around here in this very forum ???

• Advertisement

Just got GPS receiver DOVADO recommended to me....
    I cant get it to work with router. Is working perfect on laptop, but when I plug in to router doesn't show longitude, as on picture. Any ideas how to fix it?

abes216 wrote: »
    Just got GPS receiver DOVADO recommended to me....
    I cant get it to work with router. Is working perfect on laptop, but when I plug in to router doesn't show longitude, as on picture. Any ideas how to fix it?

So how come it shows the Latitude? Is the Longitude erased?

Did you select to use GPS under the Position->Settings page?

Thanks.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Hi Dovado

Imagine are rolling out a 3.5ghz wimax (e) service In Ireland with USB dongles like this one which should not be too much of a stretch for you guys to integrate into one of your units .

Any chance you could comment on wimax e usb dongle 'roadmaps' if you have one, the discussion starts from around here in this very forum ???

If only it were that simple. We need a linux driver (if there even is one!), a modem (almost never available, especially since we're in Sweden), and a network to test on (again, we're in Sweden). Not to sound too pesimistic, but WiMAX is already facing tough competition from 3G/HSPA+ operators, who are already deliving 21Mbps while WiMAX is only a couple of megabits speed at most. Not only that, but the 3G/HSPA+ operators are also looking at deploying blanket coverage LTE (4G) networks that will provide 100Mbps on the downlink and 50Mbps on the uplink. Just look at this for starters:

http://www.ericsson.com/ericsson/press/photos/lte_samsung.shtml

I've seen these LTE modems in action. It's very impressive to see 4 x 25Mbps HDTV streams on a computer!

DOVADO wrote: »
    So how come it shows the Latitude? Is the Longitude erased?

Did you select to use GPS under the Position->Settings page?

Thanks.
    I did select GPS option. Just is not showing Longitude... as on picture.
    Did U test dovado with this receiver?

abes216 wrote: »
    I did select GPS option. Just is not showing Longitude... as on picture.
    Did U test dovado with this receiver?

Odd.

Of course we tested a GPS dongle we recommended you to buy.

Send us a supprt email (see procedure on http://www.dovado.com/support) so we can analyze it closer.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Hi Dovado

Recently broke my E220 and got me a new K3765.

Doesn't seem to be supported by UMR router

Can you let me know if you are going to support it

Am really lost without the wireless

Thanks

SZ

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Szondi wrote: »
    Hi Dovado

Recently broke my E220 and got me a new K3765.

Doesn't seem to be supported by UMR router

Can you let me know if you are going to support it

Am really lost without the wireless

Thanks

SZ

Do you have a UMR? If so, get in touch with our support mail.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KindTommy

Hello Dovado,
    I am the proud owner of one of your routers.

i have been using it in the past to connect to xbox live for some online gaming. Unfotunately i seem to have a "strict NAT" and i believe this causing me some lag on some games and a complete inability to log on to some games at all.

please tell me how to open my NAT?

Thanks

KindTommy wrote: »
    Hello Dovado,
    I am the proud owner of one of your routers.

i have been using it in the past to connect to xbox live for some online gaming. Unfotunately i seem to have a "strict NAT" and i believe this causing me some lag on some games and a complete inability to log on to some games at all.

please tell me how to open my NAT?

Thanks

Does the APN you're using from your mobile operator provide you a public IP address?

• Advertisement

Advertisement