Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Ridley

Been reading a lot of meh, really.

Fables: The Deluxe Edition 9 - Thought the
    end of the war
    was something of an anticlimax. O' course, story wasn't helped by my being aware of it ahead of time and knowledge that
    #75 was supposed to be the end
    but I just didn't get much of a sense that the
    protagonists could lose

Donald Duck: Christmas On Bear Mountain
    Uncle Scrooge: The Seven Cities of Gold
    - Finally got to read the issue that influenced the boulder sequence from Raiders of the Lost Ark which was one of the things that pointed me towards picking up the Carl Barks series in the first place. While the stories aren't always great, there's usually something in there to impress at the wealth of ideas coming, as far as I know, from one brain for about twenty-five years.

Tomb Raider 1: Season of the Witch - 'Tis alright. Kind of want more from a media tie-in though.
    Killing off Jonah would have been ballsy rather than his survival stretching believability
    and villains being
    a cult worshipping the bad guys of the game
    just raises the question of where they were supposed to be during the game itself.

Plus there's a cover of Lara Croft hanging off the side of a London bus so it would have been nice if that had, y'know, been in the story itself.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Rift Part 1

Star Wars: Jedi-The Dark Side - Nice to get a Qui-Gon Jinn story but it seemed too tied up in the continuity of the Jedi Apprentice young adult novel series. It being labeled volume one was rather optimistic.

Star Wars: Purge - Collection the Purge issues released at various. The best one was already collected in the Clone Wars: Endgame volume.

Star Wars: Darth Maul - Son of Dathomir - Closure to Maul's arc from the cancelled Clone Wars TV series. Not one reason good enough to justify bringing the guy back from the dead.

Star Wars: Darth Maul - Death Sentence

Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin
    -
    The reveal of the antagonist having traded his eyes to get the hit on Vader
    is neat. However, I would actually have preferred a story about Vader systematically fending off nine assassins.

Darth Vader and the Cry of Shadows - Easily the second best of the Vader and the series for me (first is Ghost Prison which, in my opinion, is one of the best Star Wars books anyway). Silly title as its not really about Vader
    but a Jedi hating clone trooper left for dead
    and shadows even crying metaphorically is a bit of a stretch. wink.png

Star Wars 2: From the Ruins of Alderaan
    Star Wars 3: Rebel Girl
    Star Wars 4: A Shattered Hope
    - The whole Brian Wood series was a bit flat. Enjoyed the "Five Days of Sith" arc while that business with Leia being married off to find the Rebel Alliance a planet pre-Hoth went about a predictable as possible.
    The evil advisor being a couple of skin tones darker than every one else on his planet gets the side eye

Star Wars: Blood Ties - Boba Fett is Dead - Book which knows how to handle a character whose fate is known on screen.
    I mean, Fett gets out of the sarlacc in the Expanded Universe/Legends/whatever continuity anyway but the book is set prior to Return of the Jedi and doesn't dwell too much on the Boba Fett is Dead thang
    . And yet the title is still relevant. Pay attention Cry of Shadows.

Star Wars: Rebel Heist - Four issue heist with a perspective from four movie Rebels. Nothing amazing but for something with a quick turn around to get a book out in time for the Star Wars licence going back to Marvel, it's a good example of the kind of approach Dark Horse took with it.

Star Wars: Legacy II vol. 3: Wanted: Ania Solo
    Star Wars: Legacy II vol. 4: Empire of One
    Liverpool 3

Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi 3: Force Storm

Both series suffered from having to conclude during the licence change but they handle it well enough I guess. Not convinced in Empire of One that
    the Sith in hiding would throw dozens of guys after one man even if he was killing them off one by one thereby conveniently allowing the Sith to be wiped out for good. Again. Even though leader Darh Nihl wasn't present...
    Ah well.

Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace - As someone who doesn't mind the movie too much it's... worse than the movie. Gungan spake near impenetrable and do we really near a panel dedicated to "Yippee!"? The Episode III comic with the awesome art gets fewer pages demmit (although you're better off with Stover's novelisation).

Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones - Does the job. Kinda funny the way it just tries to skip on over the Senate scenes and Yoda's saber skillz are pretty much. Imagine the latter is due to the script just having *Yoda fights* or something. Oh and Padmé Amidala just sort of falls of the transport. The imagery of Kenobi catching Skywalker's lightsaber is neat.

----

If you like reading underdeveloped opinions on Star Wars comics, boy, do I have the post for you! pacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Anyone else reading "Rachel Rising" ?
    I picked up the 1st edition reprint on Halloween Free comic book day and am hooked ever since.
    It has a walking dead vibe about it, With a little bit of "Preacher" thrown in.
    The only problem is the infrequent releases of the editions, It might be out this month and then not seen for another 3 months.

Written by Terry Moore and published by Abstract Studio, It tells the story of a girl who finds herself in a ditch after being murdered ( But Not quite dead) I cant recommend enough that You go out and get Your hands on this.

https://www.comixology.eu/Rachel-Rising/comics-series/6348

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

Currently reading Fables. Really enjoyed The Wolf Among Us, it led me to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Ste_JDM wrote: »
    Currently reading Fables. Really enjoyed The Wolf Among Us, it led me to keep going.

Fables is really good. What's The Wolf Among Us like? Iv'e always meant to give it a go but never got around to it.

Fables is really good. What's The Wolf Among Us like? Iv'e always meant to give it a go but never got around to it.

It's what got me into it. It's a prequel to the Fables comics, based in 1980s Fabletown. It surprised me, I didn't know what it was about at all. I only bought it because Telltale, the developers, make The Walking Dead games and now they also have released a Game of Thrones series.

If you are looking for a taste, the first episode of it is free on Android/iOS but I'd recommend playing it on PC or Console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I am just about to buy an online version of (Omnibus editions) X-Men: The Age of Apocalypse ....and.... Infinity Wars...

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

It's what got me into it. It's a prequel to the Fables comics, based in 1980s Fabletown. It surprised me, I didn't know what it was about at all. I only bought it because Telltale, the developers, make The Walking Dead games and now they also have released a Game of Thrones series.

If you are looking for a taste, the first episode of it is free on Android/iOS but I'd recommend playing it on PC or Console.

It does deviate dramatically from the books though, which is obvious from the first episode.

(Granted I haven't finished it, so it might wrap back around)

It does deviate dramatically from the books though, which is obvious from the first episode.

(Granted I haven't finished it, so it might wrap back around)

Indeed it does but it still holds its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Read Locke & Key, The Unwritten, and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (again) over Christmas. Really loved Locke & Key, but The Unwritten was a great surprise - a magnificent work. I'm currently reading Rachel Rising, and it is a great read so far (love than Zoe character).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

It's what got me into it. It's a prequel to the Fables comics, based in 1980s Fabletown. It surprised me, I didn't know what it was about at all. I only bought it because Telltale, the developers, make The Walking Dead games and now they also have released a Game of Thrones

I was impressed with their Jurassic Park and Sam & Max games so i'll check it out at some point.

In other news I just got Judge Dred: The mega collection volume 1. It's basically a bi-weekly "best of" collection of hardcover books, with a small booklet accompanying it, something like Marvel do. Vol 1 is "America" and i have to say the quality seems really good.

http://www.judgedreddcollection.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

I am just about to buy an online version of (Omnibus editions) X-Men: The Age of Apocalypse ....and.... Infinity Wars...

That's a whole pile of nostalgia fun right there.
    They really took some great leaps with characters and arcs.
    Love the impeding dread and urgency as it built up the the final act.

Is it all the AOA Series?

Astonishing X-men ( Loved the whole team dynamic. Victor and Blink where awesome)
    Amazing X-men (storm still annoying )
    Factor-x ( Even evil Scotts a goody goody)
    Generation NeXt (Such a kick in the pants final.)
    X-Calibur (Worth it for the Cain Moment)
    Weapon X ( End of the world and he's still hardcore)
    X-man (So great they kept him for the regular MU)
    X-ternals(May have been Gambit and the ..)
    X-universe and of course AOA The Chosen. (mostly silly fun)

I was impressed with their Jurassic Park and Sam & Max games so i'll check it out at some point.

In other news I just got Judge Dred: The mega collection volume 1. It's basically a bi-weekly "best of" collection of hardcover books, with a small booklet accompanying it, something like Marvel do. Vol 1 is "America" and i have to say the quality seems really good.

http://www.judgedreddcollection.com/

I must check out that MegaCollection! Thanks stranger!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr.Buzz

Re-reading Frank Miller's Sin City before watching the second movie that came out last year. I'm not sure if watching that stuff is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Mr.Buzz wrote: »
    Re-reading Frank Miller's Sin City before watching the second movie that came out last year. I'm not sure if watching that stuff is a good idea.
    Its worth reading the first one while watching movie, just to see how well they matched the Movie to the Graphic.
    The second movie Is not as good, But still worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Reading "Dark Justice" in 2000ad at the moment. Brilliant artwork and a very hard hitting story.

Also as others have indicated above, the "Mega Collection". Well bound and good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Haven't got reading any in ages, still building up the collection tho. (Re)Started 2 years ago with the Marvel Graphic Novel Collection, have about 40 or so out of the first batch of 60 but around 15 unread. Also had Superior Spidey on hold each fortnight before I stopped both for a while. Picked up the end run of Superior (Goblin Nation) but missing the very last issue! Want to read that before starting Amazing/Spider-Verse which I have up to the current issue 12. Also in stock in my house are AvX, Batman - Court of the Owls, #1 of the Dredd collection & Sin City: The Hard Goodbye (well this is a re-read as got a better book of it).

Gonna start Dredd first then see where to go from there

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I just finished "In the line of fire", the second volume of the collected-at-long-last Paul Jenkins run on Hellblazer, and it's a corker. If I had to pick a favourite story in there, I'd have to go for "Sins of the father", which follows on from the Family Man storyline and packs a devastating emotional punch.

I also read the latest issue of the Strumpet anthology, which was if anything even better than usual. A great mix of stories and art styles, ranging from light-hearted and funny to moving and emotional.

Other than that, I've got the last couple of issues of Trees to read, along with the most recent Manhattan Projects trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭JayRoc

If you've even a passing interest in DC Silver Age stuff, this behemoth of a book is actually great value, at 14" x 11" x 2" and 400 pages, beautiful reproductions of classic covers and page art, it weighs a ton! Hugely enjoyable.

http://m.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/popculture/all/02833/facts.the_silver_age_of_dc_comics.htm

There are 4 more in this series from Taschen, covering different ages of DC. My coffee table is gonna be in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just finished Chew Volume 6
    Well that got pretty dark. And after seeing Mecha-Turducken fighting Poyo in front of images from Bloodsport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I just finished this... exellent artwork.. and story is classic gaiman....

339815.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Since it's rebooting essentially, I decided to start collecting Star Wars and the associated spin offs. Big Bang Comics posting me out Star Wars 1 and 2, as well as Darth Vader 1 and 2 today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

chrislad wrote: »
    Since it's rebooting essentially, I decided to start collecting Star Wars and the associated spin offs. Big Bang Comics posting me out Star Wars 1 and 2, as well as Darth Vader 1 and 2 today!

I've only read issue 1 of star wars so far but found bit quite good. The previews for Vader look to be of similar quality

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well finally sat down last night and read some comics. For too long I've been letting them build up on my table, or on my tablet. So while doing something on the PC last night took the time to read through some stuff.

I started off with Batman : Arkham Asylum ( A serious house on a serious earth) It was a random recommendation on the film forum discussing the new batman film. Very enjoyable, interesting take on the characters and the artwork was intense.

Feeling on a roll, I had picked up Batman: The Dark Knight. I'd heard all about this 52 reboot thing, and decided Batman, Superman and Justice league would be my first proper forays into "comics".

Got through the first six issues
    Knight Terrors
    A rush of blood
    Catch me if you can
    Welcome to the Jungle
    Handful of Dust
    Run Rabbit run

Really enjoyable so far :)

I've seen some mention of Star Wars here, could I get some recommendations or links to what sort of Star Wars stuff is out there and worth getting involved in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Thanks. Must have a root around to see if there was anything done about the old republic. Tend to prefer the stories people have done about the Jedi vs Sith kinda stuff rather then film based material.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Ridley

TheDoc wrote: »
    Thanks. Must have a root around to see if there was anything done about the old republic. Tend to prefer the stories people have done about the Jedi vs Sith kinda stuff rather then film based material.

When you say Old Republic are we talking, say, Knights of the Old Republic time frame or the prequel era and anything set before?

If you don't care about the whole canon business (anything with Legends on it ie the old Expanded Universe/canon), Marvel took a digital bunch of Dark Horse's Star Wars digital comics and slapped their digital logo on them. As well as putting their logo on DH's reprints of Marvel's original Star Wars comics from the '80s.

They're rereleasing Knights of the Old Republic in print as an old Republic Epic Collection in a couple of months (Amazon says July), and Dark Times and other Order 66-based stories in an Empire Epic Collection (Amazon says April).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_Legends_comics

If you do care about canon then the earliest in the timeline you can get for the moment is that Rebels TV show post-Episode III Kanan Jarrus tie-in series. Oh, there's that Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir comic which adapts a cancelled story arc of the Clone Wars cartoon as well.

I'd say I'm talking Knights of the old republic time frame. At a guess. My star wars universe knowledge outside of the films spans to the games pretty much. (Which I prefer much more to the films stories)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm currently making my way through The Amazing Spider-Man (1963) on the Marvel Unlimited App. Up to Issue 70 at the moment, and while I'm enjoying them I do find them very repetative and formulatic.

Rotating roster of Villains, Villains commit crime, Spider-Man comes across Villain they fight, Spider-Man overcomes Villian and Villian flees and/or goes to jail.

There's very few arching storlines at the moment, I'm hoping they improve as the comics evolve.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I just finished this... exellent artwork.. and story is classic gaiman....

339815.jpg

I found the story quite disappointing, myself. The artwork was, as expected, magnificent - but given the allusion to Moore's excellent Superman story (and I say that as one who's got very little interest in Superman or in fact most superheroes at this point) I was hoping for something with a bit more substance than what we got.

I haven't read it since it was first released, mind you, so it's possible I'd change my mind since then, but at the time of reading I remember that and Paul Pope's Batman Year 100 as two Batman projects which started out really well but completely fudged the landing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well finally sat down last night and read some comics. For too long I've been letting them build up on my table, or on my tablet. So while doing something on the PC last night took the time to read through some stuff.

I started off with Batman : Arkham Asylum ( A serious house on a serious earth) It was a random recommendation on the film forum discussing the new batman film. Very enjoyable, interesting take on the characters and the artwork was intense.

Feeling on a roll, I had picked up Batman: The Dark Knight. I'd heard all about this 52 reboot thing, and decided Batman, Superman and Justice league would be my first proper forays into "comics".

Got through the first six issues
    Knight Terrors
    A rush of blood
    Catch me if you can
    Welcome to the Jungle
    Handful of Dust
    Run Rabbit run

Really enjoyable so far :)

I've seen some mention of Star Wars here, could I get some recommendations or links to what sort of Star Wars stuff is out there and worth getting involved in :)

I'd recommend reading the Tales of the Jedi comics which Dark Horse brought out during the mid-90s. They were a little bit hammy and childish at times but overall well worth a read. They were the first Star Wars comics to be set so far away from the classic era timeline, thousands of years before. Dark Lords of the Sith, The Sith War and Redemption were my favourite stories. And Hugh Fleming's amazing covers are still the best I've ever seen!

Advertisement