Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marathon training?

• 15-06-2013 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm I'm considering, only considering doing the Dublin marathon and just wondering if anyone here would be willing to accompany me on 'long sunday runs'? find it very hard running for 2, 3 and 4 hours on my own, actually it drives me close to insanity. Think I need company, so if anyone is available, or is part of a group that has a vacancy, I'd like to hear from you.
    Danke
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheEntertainer

What are you aiming for etc. Obviously Dublin Marathon but are you planning any other half marathons etc before it?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭gtothek

I am in the Country Club AC & we meet every Wednesday evening & on Saturday morning for longer runs at the Country Club which is located out by Caherdavin. There will be a group of us training for the marathon & we will all have different aims so you will fit in. Pm me if you want to know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

anyone going to train for dublin marathon? i ran it in 2010 and want to break 4 hours dis year but starting from scratch on monday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I'm thinking of aiming for Dublin this year too but my pace is slow enough at the minute, around 9:30/mile.

A Limerick boards meetup could be a good idea.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm aiming for 1:50:00 in the half marathon this weekend. Had originally signed up for the full 26.2 miles but it wasn't to be this time around!

I'd love to join others training for Dublin once the BHGLR is out of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

All going well I'm running Dublin again this year and likewise I'm hoping to finally break 4hrs this time!
    I'd be well up for getting a training group together. Even just to have a few heads to meet for long runs. They can be boring at times once you're over the 10mile mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Is it to late to start training for the Dublin marathon? I have little or no experience for marathons but I run 5k 3 times a week.Any help or feed back would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 froggus

There's a 22 week training programme inside the latest issue of Irish Runner and it began on Monday (25th May 2015).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭Cartman78

candycock wrote: »
    Is it to late to start training for the Dublin marathon? I have little or no experience for marathons but I run 5k 3 times a week.Any help or feed back would be great.

It's never too late to start training.....just depends how much pain you want to go through on the day ;)

Follow a plan if that helps and most importantly, imho, set yourself a reasonable target and be prepared to run a couple of slow miles/take walking breaks on the day if needs be. You don't want to be one of those guys in the back of an ambulance after it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

candycock wrote: »

There's a mentored novice thread on the athletics/running forum for Dublin this year. It's a great resource for first time or unexpierienced marathon runners with plans, advice from experienced runners and a place to ask any questions you have.

Can't link as my post count is too low but it is on the front page of the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's a mentored novice thread on the athletics/running forum for Dublin this year. It's a great resource for first time or unexpierienced marathon runners with plans, advice from experienced runners and a place to ask any questions you have.

Can't link as my post count is too low but it is on the front page of the forum.

Take out the . or the / and post it, I'll edit your post then so everyone can see it (and thank you for it :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Clareman wrote: »
    Take out the . or the / and post it, I'll edit your post then so everyone can see it (and thank you for it :D)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057429723

Just left spaces.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I just noticed I can't thank a thread after I've edited it as a mod, didn't realise that before.

Anyway, there ya go, thanks for the link

Edit: Figured out how to do it, I'm still new at this whole mod thing

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

My own plan doesn't kick off "properly" until 22nd of June and my big mileage starts late July. I'd be up for meeting folk for a long run if they fancied it.
    My current targeted finish time for Dublin is 3.50 so my long run pace would be 9.45-10.00 min miles. Nice and handy ;-)

And +1 on the mentored novices thread, I used it for my 1st marathon a few years ago. You'll get good solid advice there.

Advertisement