Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taxing the religous

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Germany has already come up with the perfect solution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithe#Germany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭djsomers

prinz wrote: »
    Care to be more specific?

That is part of the problem eh? Just pop this into google and take a look for yourself:

"Catholic orders plead poor in abuse compensation cases"

They have money when they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

djsomers wrote: »
    That is part of the problem eh? Just pop this into google and take a look for yourself:"Catholic orders plead poor in abuse compensation cases" They have money when they want to.

What does this have to do with secret income? :confused: Please note comments such as...
    "First off, don't trust anything they say," said the Rev. Thomas Doyle, an American Catholic priest who is an expert on canon law and a champion of abuse victims' rights. "And be prepared to follow up the urging for voluntary donation or contribution with some form of force."Doyle said the Irish orders "must be forced by a power greater than themselves, and that's the courts and the Irish government, to make sure the compensation comes, even to the point of forcibly divesting them of properties."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30967019/ns/world_news-europe/wid/7468326//6.b10984/5??cm=WaterCooler-SC

The Catholic Church is a massive organisation, with lots of different people with lots of different ideas.

What does this have to do with secret income?

Hmm, having more money than you make out, I would pretty much say it was secret income.

Hmm, having more money than you make out, I would pretty much say it was secret income.

Er no. Logic fail. You know I could legitimately declare income now, pay tax etc, keep it as cash under the mattress for years and in 20 years claim bankruptcy. I have got more money than I make out but it doesn't make ot secret income.

• Advertisement

Er no. Logic fail. You know I could legitimately declare income now, pay tax etc, keep it as cash under the mattress for years and in 20 years claim bankruptcy. I have got more money than I make out but it doesn't make ot secret income.

Whatever. Look simple as; if there are no skeletons then fine, but why not let the law of the land and the people, through the mandated government, look after it. End of.

Whatever. Look simple as; if there are no skeletons then fine, but why not let the law of the land and the people, through the mandated government, look after it. End of.

If you set up a company next week would you say the same? End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

If I ran things, I'd take a leaf out of Henry VIII's book and confiscate all church lands. But that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

If you set up a company next week would you say the same? End of.

If I set up a company next week I could be subject to a Revenue audit at any time and would have to file periodic returns

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

That is part of the problem eh? Just pop this into google and take a look for yourself:

"Catholic orders plead poor in abuse compensation cases"

They have money when they want to.

With no one going to chruch anymore, why not sell some of that prime real estate...

• Advertisement

hardCopy wrote: »
    If I set up a company next week I could be subject to a Revenue audit at any time and would have to file periodic returns

Quite, enforcing that you pay what you owe to government. The same thing doesn't apply to charitable organisations.

Quite, enforcing that you pay what you owe to government. The same thing doesn't apply to charitable organisations.

But how do we know what proportion of their income goes to charitable causes?

I could be wrong but AFAIK they don't have to declare this anywhere. (I did look on google but couldn't find confirmation either way)

hardCopy wrote: »
    But how do we know what proportion of their income goes to charitable causes?

Good question, you could always go and ask. Of course the above concerns apply equally to any charity, and as I said I would have no problem with all charities being subject to similar controls.

Good question, you could always go and ask. Of course the above concerns apply equally to any charity, and as I said I would have no problem with all charities being subject to similar controls.

You're right. Charities should have to file returns also, and I like to see them prove their effectiveness to maintain charity status.

I don't think it's worth anybodies time taking tax and paying it back to churches/charities.

I'd be happy with an annual return to demonstrate that money is being put to good use, ie clothing the poor. I wouldn't see evangelical work etc as being charitable

Advertisement