Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can people protect their euros from Quantitative Easing?

• 25-01-2015 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

Now that the Irish and other euro zone governments are going to devalue our euros, by buying their own bonds with magic money, how should people with savings protect the value of their euros?

Obviously leaving savings in the falling euro is now a bad idea. Also, like bees to honey the speculators are piling into Euro zone equities. The problem there is that equity markets are already overpriced because of the low interest rates - so the euro zone stock market is already a super-bubble. And, even if you do buy equities in the euro (or other FIAT currency), any gains in share prices will be vulnerable to a collapse in the FIAT currency they are held in as well as the share prices themselves.

So if equities are a bubble and the euro is falling, is gold a safe investment for the long term? Are emerging markets worth investing in?

Thoughts and theories please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

Now that the Irish and other euro zone governments are going to devalue our euros, by buying their own bonds with magic money, how should people with savings protect the value of their euros?

Obviously leaving savings in the falling euro is now a bad idea. Also, like bees to honey the speculators are piling into Euro zone equities. The problem there is that equity markets are already overpriced because of the low interest rates - so the euro zone stock market is already a super-bubble.

So if equities are a bubble and the euro is falling, is gold a safe investment for the long term? Are emerging markets worth investing in?

Thoughts and theories please.

Well the obvious thing to do is exchange your Euros for another currency, probably the dollar. The problem is you are now too late. The devaluation has already taken place and the Euro is already at a 10 year low against the dollar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

OMD wrote: »
    Well the obvious thing to do is exchange your Euros for another currency, probably the dollar. The problem is you are now too late. The devaluation has already taken place and the Euro is already at a 10 year low against the dollar
    ... a lot of people do not realize it but the dollar is massively overpriced as are US equities. Look at all the QE they have been subjected to over that last few years. Consequently, the "recovery" in the US economy is an illusion. The thing is, the EU and US have to toggle their QE programs because if they both do it at the same time, then the failure of QE as a policy will be too obvious.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the US have to begin QE4, more than likely the EU will temporarily pause its own QE program when that happens.

This is why I think non QE, emerging markets look interesting, i.e. not the EU, not the US and not Japan. The world is bigger than the EU, US and Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

The Dollar would probably have been one of the worst things you could buy.

The Dollar would probably have been one of the worst things you could buy.

What is your basis for that considering that the dollar is at a 10 year high against the Euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BMmeow

what about exchanging euros for the british pound?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

What is your basis for that considering that the dollar is at a 10 year high against the Euro?

Look at realitykeeper's post directly above mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

They're trying to suspend deflation so your euro will be neutral. The drop in oil prices is only starting to filter through. What's more important in Ireland is how do you save what euros you do have from further stealth taxes that feed an unaccountable bureaucracy where politicians are never prosecuted.

Look at realitykeeper's post directly above mine.

That doesn't explain why "The Dollar would probably have been one of the worst things you could buy".

Anyone wanting to protect Euros from QE effects has left it far to late as I previously said. The smart money would have bought dollars a year ago when it became obvious the ECB would have to use QE. In that time the Euro has effectively devalued against the dollar by 25-30%. Therefore as I said this would have been the smart thing to do.

I find your comment totally nonsensical that "the dollar would have been the worst thing to buy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

That doesn't explain why "The Dollar would probably have been one of the worst things you could buy".
    Interesting view on this here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Anyone wanting to protect Euros from QE effects has left it far to late
    The QE program has only just begun in the euro zone. It is true the euro has already priced in some of the QE but the price fall to date is because of sentiment more than fundamentals. In time, the Euro will truly be worth less because of QE but at present its low value is only because traders are aware of the coming QE program and have priced in the effects of some of the coming QE in advance.

• Advertisement

The QE program has only just begun in the euro zone. It is true the euro has already priced in some of the QE but the price fall to date is because of sentiment more than fundamentals. In time, the Euro will truly be worth less because of QE but at present its low value is only because traders are aware of the coming QE program and have priced in the effects of some of the coming QE in advance.
    Only time will tell. I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 tralalala

Shares of companies who can raise prices or property.

Both are generally overpriced but some are not, the markets are not in bubble territory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

... a lot of people do not realize it but the dollar is massively overpriced as are US equities. Look at all the QE they have been subjected to over that last few years. Consequently, the "recovery" in the US economy is an illusion. The thing is, the EU and US have to toggle their QE programs because if they both do it at the same time, then the failure of QE as a policy will be too obvious.

This. For one thing, to expand on realitykeeper's point, there is strong data showing that the recent resurgence in US and UK stock exchanges is simply down to the extra money sloshing around because of the two countries' QE efforts, and not due to either any extra real money in the system, nor to increased performance of SE listed companies (in fact most companies have essentially stayed still since the crash in terms of real performance). And once the QE spigot is turned off then the stock markets will collapse, owing to the fact that the banks and the rich will no longer have free money to play in the speculative bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 billyknowsbest

The euro has weakened considerably recently. I heard an economist on the radio explain that this is partly the result of QE. A greater supply of euros, depreciating its value.If this is so how come the pound sterling never weakened when the Bank of England had QE on at full blast?

The euro has weakened considerably recently. I heard an economist on the radio explain that this is partly the result of QE. A greater supply of euros, depreciating its value.If this is so how come the pound sterling never weakened when the Bank of England had QE on at full blast?
    It did, remember when the £ blew out to €.92c?

Catbear,
    When did that happen? According to the ecb website over the last ten years
    the minimum was 1.02 and that was in December 2008, yet the Bank of England started QE in March, 2009??

Catbear,
    When did that happen? According to the ecb website over the last ten years
    the minimum was 1.02 and that was in December 2008, yet the Bank of England started QE in March, 2009??
    My mistake, I was remembering when the € blew out to 92p back in 08 as I had bought a load of stuff on line at the time.
    I think people fled the pound after banks fell in the UK, QE was then instigated.

Still on QE- it pushes up asset prices but lowers their yield- how come?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Still on QE- it pushes up asset prices but lowers their yield- how come?

Money has to go somewhere.

Because at the time everybody was at it. The US was using QE, the UK was, and the EU was. IIRC the current QE round by the ECB is actually it's third attempt to stimulate the economy by printing money and giving it to the rich (though it is in fact by far the largest round for the ECB).

You'd think that the rest of the world would have learned from Japan's example in the nineties.

• Advertisement

Because at the time everybody was at it. The US was using QE, the UK was, and the EU was. IIRC the current QE round by the ECB is actually it's third attempt to stimulate the economy by printing money and giving it to the rich (though it is in fact by far the largest round for the ECB).

You'd think that the rest of the world would have learned from Japan's example in the nineties.

They did. They learned to use QE.

Sterling was artificially kept down by QE -- after all the EZ was a basket case, wasn't and isn't certain to survive, and yet remained it's position re sterling.

They did. They learned to use QE.

Sterling was artificially kept down by QE -- after all the EZ was a basket case, wasn't and isn't certain to survive, and yet remained it's position re sterling.
    Give me an example of an economy that isn't a basketcase?

catbear wrote: »
    Give me an example of an economy that isn't a basketcase?

The UK. Although it could do with better productivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

The UK is running an "Excessive Deficit" along with the economic laggards in the EU such as Ireland, Greece etc. That's hardly grounds for jubilation.

This is an economy whose anaemic growth numbers is due solely to two reasons, a) the South East is experiencing a government primed housing bubble (no prizes for guessing how that'll end), and b) the City of London is the world's biggest offshore tax haven and has recently been pump primed by a chancellor who is a trust fund baby eager to make it easier for him to pay less taxes on his offshore tax evading money. In fact the general economy is so bad that the total industrial output of the UK hasn't stopped falling since the crash.

That's the exact definition of a basketcase economy. And it's due to the economic strategy most of the world is following.

UK- basketcase part two- 700,000 British workers are on zero-hours contracts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

UK- basketcase part two- 700,000 British workers are on zero-hours contracts

That's like 1.2%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

This is an economy whose anaemic growth numbers is due solely to two reasons, a) the South East is experiencing a government primed housing bubble (no prizes for guessing how that'll end), and b) the City of London is the world's biggest offshore tax haven and has recently been pump primed by a chancellor who is a trust fund baby eager to make it easier for him to pay less taxes on his offshore tax evading money. In fact the general economy is so bad that the total industrial output of the UK hasn't stopped falling since the crash.

That's the exact definition of a basketcase economy. And it's due to the economic strategy most of the world is following.
    Imf seems to think the UK is doing well, did they not say the rest of the EU should follow the UK'S lead?

gallag wrote: »
    Imf seems to think the UK is doing well, did they not say the rest of the EU should follow the UK'S lead?
    I could be wrong but I remember the IMF heralding Ireland as an example of process in 04. At least they put their money with their mouth with a bailout.

• Advertisement

gallag wrote: »

The IMF think people dying in water riots in countries like Ecuador is also a good thing, and families hunting around bins in countries like Argentina or Greece too. So I wouldn't be trusting what they think.

Advertisement