Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marriage equality referendum - how will you vote?

Options
  • 24-01-2015 10:02pm
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Let's see what would happen if boardsies were deciding the referendum.

How will you vote? 243 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    84% 206 votes
    I don't know
    15% 37 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I can see the majority of people abstaining from voting in this referendum

It will come down to the gays vs the religiously conservatives and the winners will essentially be whichever grouping is bigger

Of course there will be a small amount of anti-govt voters cancelled out by straight people whom will always vote no matter what, that will most likely vote pro gay marriage!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭eire4

The polls are pointing toward a solid yes vote which is the direction I would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,797 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

eire4 wrote: »
    The polls are pointing toward a solid yes vote which is the direction I would go.

Not the latest polls

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Not the latest polls

Do share with us this news. The lowest number I could find from a poll earlier this week was 59% being strongly in favour. Still a pretty clear majority.

77% in favour but 46% with some reservations

http://www.thejournal.ie/same-sex-marriage-poll-2-1901346-Jan2015/

A high yes but not necessarily "solid"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

There you go see 77% still said they would vote yes. As I posted myself the most negative poll I could find had 59% voting yes. Personally I think the final vote will end up being a very big win for the yes vote. If say the vote ended up 59% yes and I think it will be higher but if it does up end up at about 59% then that is an 18 point win and that is a pretty big margin of victory really.

eire4 wrote: »
    There you go see 77% still said they would vote yes. As I posted myself the most negative poll I could find had 59% voting yes. Personally I think the final vote will end up being a very big win for the yes vote. If say the vote ended up 59% yes and I think it will be higher but if it does up end up at about 59% then that is an 18 point win and that is a pretty big margin of victory really.

You said a solid yes. Its not though. It shows a weakish yes that could be swayed.

Terry Pratchet

You said a solid yes. Its not though. It shows a weakish yes that could be swayed.

Even a 59% yes vote represents an 18 point win thats a big number in any vote. Plus even in the poll you reference the vote was still a strong yes vote even higher then the worst one I found and that is what counts. Find me a poll that shows a no majority or something close to a 50 50 split on the vote and then sure there is an issue but no polls have shown anything along those lines to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 xsofacouchx

I think its absolutely ridiculous that we have to vote on it in the first place. It shouldn't be my decision whether somebody gets married or not. Marriage Equality should have been legislated years ago!... I'm voting yes and I really hope everybody else does too!

I think its absolutely ridiculous that we have to vote on it in the first place. It shouldn't be my decision whether somebody gets married or not. Marriage Equality should have been legislated years ago!... I'm voting yes and I really hope everybody else does too!

Agreed it is a joke that this was not legislated years ago. Sadly that is what we are stuck with thanks to some of the shall we say less then ideal parts of our constitution.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

22 May has been the date set for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

22 May has been the date set for this!
    Ridiculous.

The issue of fathers' rights will be inadequately addressed in the proposed Children and Family Relationships Bill, and then it will be off the agenda for years.

When issues of public importance like this arise, they deserve to be studied and fully subjected to expert consultation, especially at committee stage.

My fear is that this legislation will be rushed through the Oireachtas, and then removed from the agenda for years to come.

All for what?

What is the point of having this referendum in May, as opposed to say, September? If they want it passed so badly, why not give them an extra-long run at it, and deal with this legislation properly? It's stupid. Completely stupid and self-destructive. It will harm the desired outcome of the referendum, and it is not in the best interests of children.

It's the day before the eurovision greenstars.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

77% in favour but 46% with some reservations

http://www.thejournal.ie/same-sex-marriage-poll-2-1901346-Jan2015/

A high yes but not necessarily "solid"

Well actually, 77% IS a solid yes. It's nearly four-fifths of the electorate supporting same sex marriage.

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    Well actually, 77% IS a solid yes. It's nearly four-fifths of the electorate supporting same sex marriage.

You're missing the point. A large amount of that 77% have reservations.

Terry Pratchet

You're missing the point. A large amount of that 77% have reservations.

But a yes is still a yes regardless of any reservations. The referendum is a simple yes or no. There won't be any way for those people to express such reservations, it's a binary issue.

If these people did have concerns that would make them undecided on the issue, no? And as we've seen pretty much all polls have the yes side with a comfortable majority.

But a yes is still a yes regardless of any reservations.

No. Research has shown the vast majority of voters decide in the week before the referendum - so if someone says yes in January but they have some reservations and the no side has managed to play on those they could vote no despite indicating a yes in the earlier poll.

Polls are notorious for this. Divorce referenda polls showed a solid yes both times but this didnt happen. Same with Seanad and Childrens rights referendum.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

It's the day before the eurovision greenstars.gif

Since when have we had gifs on Boards?

Could this year get any more fabulous?!

imgimggreenstars.gifgreenstars.gif

No. Research has shown the vast majority of voters decide in the week before the referendum - so if someone says yes in January but they have some reservations and the no side has managed to play on those they could vote no despite indicating a yes in the earlier poll.

Polls are notorious for this. Divorce referenda polls showed a solid yes both times but this didnt happen. Same with Seanad and Childrens rights referendum.

We'll just have to wait and see. But I'm still expecting a comfortable yes. This isn't the Ireland of the 80's and 90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I ll be voting yes, purely so my brother can marry his partner and I get a free dinner .

My big concern is the numbers in favour of voting yes. Purely as a sample in my class in college a quick survey suggested 50% yes, 30% no, 20% don't know, very rough figures.

However almost half of those who would vote yes have never voted or are registered to. Then there is the issue of whether they will register in Carlow or their home town.

In contrast most of those who say no are more mature and are regular voters.

My big worry is that many potential yes voters won't or can't vote when the time comes.

• Advertisement

Since when have we had gifs on Boards?

Could this year get any more fabulous?!

imgimggreenstars.gifgreenstars.gif

Yes

LGBT Noise are hosting a March for Marriage on Sunday March 17th which is IDAHOT day - International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia
    The 22nd of May, referendum day is Harvey Milk Day.

Terry Pratchet

We'll just have to wait and see. But I'm still expecting a comfortable yes. This isn't the Ireland of the 80's and 90's.

I would tend to agree with you there. I think this will end up as a comfortable yes in the end. But as you say we will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Yes

LGBT Noise are hosting a March for Marriage on Sunday March 17th which is IDAHOT day - International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia
    St Patrick's Day?

I hope that's an error...

conorh91 wrote: »
    St Patrick's Day?

I hope that's an error...

Oops - May

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭indy_man

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭NZT73

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Let's see what would happen if boardsies were deciding the referendum.

"boardsies"?

Yes I'm sure this poll will tell us a lot

Like one of those elections where the only candidate gets 110 percent of the vote

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

NZT73 wrote: »
    Like one of those elections where the only candidate gets 110 percent of the vote

Yes, exactly like that.

Apart from the fact that the "yes" side has 86% of the vote.

But other than that: yes, exactly like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭NZT73

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Yes, exactly like that.

Apart from the fact that the "yes" side has 86% of the vote.

But other than that: yes, exactly like that.

In other words it's a corrupt poll because people like you get rid of all the opposition to your opinions

Would you like me to explain that down to the atoms

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

NZT73 wrote: »
    In other words it's a corrupt poll because people like you get rid of all the opposition to your opinions
    Waa waa waa I'm being oppressed.
    Would you like me to explain that down to the atoms
    You explained your bigotry very succinctly in the other thread, thanks. We have nothing further to discuss.

Advertisement