Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unification?

Options
  • 20-01-2015 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

I life in Co Offaly. I went shopping in my local town for fuel and food today.

At least, I tried to. Nearly every shop or supplier I went to was out of stock of what I wanted to buy. When I enquired when it would be available, each time I was told that the snow was bad in "The North" and deliveries were delayed.

Obviously the price differential of many goods, tax regulations and open border are making for good commerce.

Do most people in business not secretly hope things won't change, regardless of their religious affiliation?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

I know Fianna Fail & Fine Gail don't want reunification as it was leave political power in the hands of Sinn Fein & I know business men don't want that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I know Fianna Fail & Fine Gail don't want reunification as it was lead political power in the hands of Sinn Fein & I know business men don't want that.

I would say 80% of the people on this island don't want unification anytime this side of 2050 because of the cost to taxpayers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Godge wrote: »
    I would say 80% of the people on this island don't want unification anytime this side of 2050 because of the cost to taxpayers.

I think your bitter hatred of the idea has clouded your ability to make estimates. According to an Irish Times poll (cited by irishcentral.com) presumably taken in the south:
    those against a united Ireland has shrunk to just 8 per cent from more than double that.

And that's before a transition plan or anything has been discussed to those ends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

80%? It's more like 40 - 45% in recent polls I've seen.

I think a lot of people on this island would still like a peaceful unification aslong as it was manageable, it's just not as big an issue as it used to be since the GFA gave everyone a little bit of something and most people are content with that. But my original point was I can't see Fine Gael or Fianna Fail's vote increasing because of unification as there seen by most nationalist/republicans in the North as treacherous. Maybe Fine Gaels right-wing tendencies & hatred of Irish Republicanism might appeal to some hardline loyalists. A lot of people in the South seem to like the SDLP maybe it would give them a boost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Nomis21 wrote: »

At least, I tried to. Nearly every shop or supplier I went to was out of stock of what I wanted to buy. When I enquired when it would be available, each time I was told that the snow was bad in "The North" and deliveries were delayed.

Obviously the price differential of many goods, tax regulations and open border are making for good commerce.

Do most people in business not secretly hope things won't change, regardless of their religious affiliation?

What would religious affiliation have to do with it, anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

Nomis21 wrote: »

I dont know what you were looking to buy, maybe if you made that clear we might know what you are talking about. In my locality there were no shops out of stock and deliveries were as normal. All the main roads remained open as far as I know.

Unless you are trying to say that all the shops in your area only deal in fuel and goods supplied from Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Redbishop wrote: »
    I dont know what you were looking to buy, maybe if you made that clear we might know what you are talking about. In my locality there were no shops out of stock and deliveries were as normal. All the main roads remained open as far as I know.

Unless you are trying to say that all the shops in your area only deal in fuel and goods supplied from Northern Ireland

Probably bord na Mona briquettes. There is a big scam with fuel merchants from the north travelling down with trucks full of cheap booze and offloading along the way to shopsd on their journey to the briquette factory. They then load up with briquettes supposedly for export to the north, thus avoiding some of the taxes normally charged, and then flog the whole lot on the way back up.
    I know one shop not more than 10 minutes drive from the factory that gets its briquettes delivered by a northern reg truck.

Probably bord na Mona briquettes. There is a big scam with fuel merchants from the north travelling down with trucks full of cheap booze and offloading along the way to shopsd on their journey to the briquette factory. They then load up with briquettes supposedly for export to the north, thus avoiding some of the taxes normally charged, and then flog the whole lot on the way back up.
    I know one shop not more than 10 minutes drive from the factory that gets its briquettes delivered by a northern reg truck.

Ok so its a smuggling issue, thanks for that, wasnt sure by the way he worded it what he was on about.

I know Fianna Fail & Fine Gail don't want reunification as it was leave political power in the hands of Sinn Fein & I know business men don't want that.

"Taoiseach Enda Kenny told the Dáíl last October that there were other issues that needed to be prioritised over any referendum but predicted in a separate event that same month that the North and south would eventually be united."
    http://www.thejournal.ie/united-ireland-economy-sinn-fein-pearse-doherty-970262-Jun2013/

I wouldnt be against it myself in principle but it would need great consideration, not something to be rushed in to.

There is a message here about Voodoo economics I include for you Deja :)
    http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/united-ireland-978055-Jul2013/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Unification doesnt make economic sense. The likes of IDA will have to be seen to give jobs to NI, like West Germany were encouraged to get foreign companies to locate in the East. Although a fair amount of West Germany badly needed jobs eg Duisburg.

Will people in NI be happy with getting HSE healthcare rather than NHS? Will they happily pay for the GP and medicine like people in the south? I highly doubt it. Will NI be happy when the UK pulls a lot of their Governmental departments out of NI, as its no longer part of the uk?

North Ireland is better off in the UK. They receive a ton of money from the UK, which Ireland cant afford to give them. The republic cant give NI a ton of pseudo jobs like UK gives them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

hfallada wrote: »
    Unification doesnt make economic sense. The likes of IDA will have to be seen to give jobs to NI, like West Germany were encouraged to get foreign companies to locate in the East. Although a fair amount of West Germany badly needed jobs eg Duisburg.

Will people in NI be happy with getting HSE healthcare rather than NHS? Will they happily pay for the GP and medicine like people in the south? I highly doubt it. Will NI be happy when the UK pulls a lot of their Governmental departments out of NI, as its no longer part of the uk?

North Ireland is better off in the UK. They receive a ton of money from the UK, which Ireland cant afford to give them. The republic cant give NI a ton of pseudo jobs like UK gives them.

Exactly.

Polls tell you nothing. People might very well like the 'idea' of unification, but the cold hard reality of it would be something very different. Taxes in the South and North would have to rise substantially to cover the cost of it.

Once people get their heads around that, I think people's view on unification would be very very different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

hfallada wrote: »
    The republic cant give NI a ton of pseudo jobs like UK gives them.

While there were terrorists/criminal gangs using the excuse of British occupation to exist the UK needed to prop up NI or appear weak or even ridiculous.

Now that they are not threatened they can disentangle. The process has already started. Funding is being cut and will continue further.

Another example of distancing is the proposed TV debates that include British parties as small as the greens or as regional as the SNP or Plaid Cmyru, but no NI party which is very telling. The DUP has more MPs than some of the others put together and are raging.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

I see they're devolving corp tax powers to Stormont.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/osborne-set-to-give-northern-ireland-corporation-tax-powers-from-2017-30893133.html

THE UK government has published a bill allowing for corporation tax powers to be devolved to Northern Ireland from April 2017.

It is hoped the law will be passed before the British general election in May. About 34,000 businesses north of the border, including 26,500 SMEs, will benefit from the cut.

It is designed to allow the six counties to better compete with the 12.5pc corporation tax in the Republic, compared to the 21pc currently being levied.

UK ministers said the change could be "transformative" for an economy which, largely reflecting the legacy of the Troubles, has for years been over-dependent on the state.

The legislation was tabled in Westminster yesterday.

Chancellor George Osborne said there has been a strong case for devolving corporation tax setting powers to Stormont.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

smcgiff wrote: »
    While there were terrorists/criminal gangs using the excuse of British occupation to exist the UK needed to prop up NI or appear weak or even ridiculous.
    Occupation?
    Another example of distancing is the proposed TV debates that include British parties as small as the greens or as regional as the SNP or Plaid Cmyru, but no NI party which is very telling. The DUP has more MPs than some of the others put together and are raging.
    I think it's silly to have Scottish or Welsh-only parties but you could argue that of the main UK parties, only the Conservatives and UKIP actually stand there and aren't likely to get any MPs so the NI parties aren't competing with them, only each other.

NI is distanced from England, not getting any more distanced though. Unlike Scotland.

Richard wrote: »
    Occupation?

Read the sentence again, Richard.

It is of course a matter of opinion as to whether NI is getting more distant from the UK. I think the Public Sector in NI will reduce over time.

Read the sentence again, Richard.
    I have.
    It is of course a matter of opinion as to whether NI is getting more distant from the UK. I think the Public Sector in NI will reduce over time.
    I'd agree with that. It may also be that NI won't be reliant on the UK treasury at some point in the future on the way that it is now.

I have.

And what do you think it means, I don't understand what you are questioning?

And what do you think it means, I don't understand what you are questioning?

I was querying your use of the term "British occupation". It wasn't clear whether you were saying NI was "occupied by Britain" or were saying that that's what terrorists would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I was querying your use of the term "British occupation". It wasn't clear whether you were saying NI was "occupied by Britain" or were saying that that's what terrorists would say.

I think you know exactly what he is referring to. Await the predictable verbal diarrhoea about the north being a democratic majority....

Karl Stein wrote: »
    I think your bitter hatred of the idea has clouded your ability to make estimates. According to an Irish Times poll (cited by irishcentral.com) presumably taken in the south:

And that's before a transition plan or anything has been discussed to those ends.
    80%? It's more like 40 - 45% in recent polls I've seen.

I think a lot of people on this island would still like a peaceful unification aslong as it was manageable, it's just not as big an issue as it used to be since the GFA gave everyone a little bit of something and most people are content with that. But my original point was I can't see Fine Gael or Fianna Fail's vote increasing because of unification as there seen by most nationalist/republicans in the North as treacherous. Maybe Fine Gaels right-wing tendencies & hatred of Irish Republicanism might appeal to some hardline loyalists. A lot of people in the South seem to like the SDLP maybe it would give them a boost.

You two are looking at the wrong part of the polls.

There is always plenty of support for a united Ireland at some time in the unknown future. All part of the romantic dream.

The support for a united Ireland tomorrow is negligible.

• Advertisement

I think you know exactly what he is referring to. Await the predictable verbal diarrhoea about the north being a democratic majority....

Actually, I'm genuinely lost here...

There is always plenty of support for a united Ireland at some time in the unknown future.

How bizarre. Of course it would be in the future - it would hardly be in the past now would it?

Regardless of your overanxious hatred of the idea and your attempt to project it onto the the rest of the public:
    those against a united Ireland has shrunk to just 8 per cent from more than double that.

irishcentral.com

Karl Stein wrote: »
    How bizarre. Of course it would be in the future - it would hardly be in the past now would it?

Regardless of your overanxious hatred of the idea and your attempt to project it onto the the rest of the public:

I don't HATE the idea of a United Ireland.

I am in favour of a united Ireland provided that there is no extra burden on the Southern taxpayers, we are not dependant on British money and that there is a majority of the Unionist community in favour of it.

That makes me part of the 92% but also unlikely to vote yes in any referendum this side of 2100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

All part of the romantic dream.

Whose 'romantic' dream for NI has been shattered? Unionists - the bigoted sectarian statelet has been dismantled and their 'dream' has turned to a nightmare. Witness their inability to come to terms with the new realities.
    The only dream still possible and still on course is unification.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Now that they are not threatened they can disentangle. The process has already started. Funding is being cut and will continue further.

The reduced block grant to Stormont has nothing to do with Westminster trying to distance themselves from Northern Ireland and everything to do with government spending cuts across the board. It's been going on since 2010 and will likely continue for another four years irrespective of who wins the UK general election in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Whose 'romantic' dream for NI has been shattered? Unionists - the bigoted sectarian statelet has been dismantled and their 'dream' has turned to a nightmare. Witness their inability to come to terms with the new realities.
    The only dream still possible and still on course is unification.

Ah you sure know how to persuade Unionists to.come round to your way of thinking with sweettalk like that...

bilston wrote: »
    Ah you sure know how to persuade Unionists to.come round to your way of thinking with sweettalk like that...

I have no intention of ever trying to persuade anybody with Godge's mindset into a civilised republic. The bigots are a vocal but defeated and disappearing minority now.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I have no intention of ever trying to persuade anybody with Godge's mindset into a civilised republic. The bigots are a vocal but defeated and disappearing minority now.

I am already living in a civilised republic and happy to be here. Don't want the extra cost of a united Ireland until the North can pay for itself, and the vast majority want to join us. Fairly simple equation, it means that all the SF supporters can go away and figure out how to make it work financially and show their unionist brethern why it is a good idea, in the meantime, leave me out of it until the numbers add up.

bilston wrote: »
    show their unionist brethern why it is a good idea

I see some people are still living in the past. It won't require a Unionist majority for the gears of a UI to begin to turn just a regular ol' majority.

• Advertisement

I am already living in a civilised republic and happy to be here. Don't want the extra cost of a united Ireland until the North can pay for itself, and the vast majority want to join us. Fairly simple equation, it means that all the SF supporters can go away and figure out how to make it work financially and show their unionist brethern why it is a good idea, in the meantime, leave me out of it until the numbers add up.

When was there a debate and vote on unity? Correct, there hasn't been one, so your assertion is just an opinion.
    In my opinion we cannot call ourselves 'civilised' until we deal with the issues arising from the fact that we turned our backs on the whole notion of a republic with integrity and a huge swathe of fellow Irish men, women and children as well.
    There are some (gaining in influence and power) who wish to put that right, I see nothing that will deny them that debate and vote.

Advertisement