Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Going to New Zealand

• 20-05-2014 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi guys

My boyfriend and I going to New Zealand in November on a working holiday visa and we sorted everything through USIT. But I'm wondering about accommodation. Can I sort out a house to rent before I leave Ireland, cause we don't particularly want to stay in hostel. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I would never advise renting a house before looking at it in person - you never really know what it will be like. And it's unlikely that any landlord would do this either (except if s/he's wanting to rip you off).

What's the concern with staying in a hostel?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If you stay in a hostel you don't necessarily have to stay in a dorm, a good few offer single/double/twin rooms too.

I wouldn't try and get a house without seeing it, you're too open to getting ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bambgirl92

Thanks for the replies. I thought USIT had a service in NZ, like they have in Sydney, where they help sort out a place. I was looking at the hostels and motels and they look ok. I was just wondering could someone recommend hostels, that are safe and reasonable in Christchurch. I just want to get this sorted before I go down

www.hostelworld.com ... real reviews, from recent visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BabyMonkeyy

YHA is a pretty good hostel. You are going to find it difficult to find a house/room to rent in Christchurch. A serious lack of housing here at the moment with the rebuild. Start looking immediately when you arrive in Christchurch. Ask people in the hostel, the staff and any friends of friends. Go to trademe.co.nz and join the Irish people living in Christchurch page on Facebook. Their is an Irish society in Christchurch as well worth joining. Also when you do manage to get a house or room and a bond needs to be paid it goes into a totally separate entity called the rental tenancies authority or RTA for short. If a landlord asks for it to be put into their account do not agree to this. Google RTA New Zealand and it will tell you all you need to know. Best of luck

• Advertisement

Thanks. Also I was looking at getting my NZ drivers licence, if I'm staying in a hostel, how do I give proof of my NZ address?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BabyMonkeyy

bambgirl92 wrote: »
    Thanks. Also I was looking at getting my NZ drivers licence, if I'm staying in a hostel, how do I give proof of my NZ address?

Most hostels will print you out an address saying you are staying with them also if you set up a bank account and ask them to print you a statement with the address on it that will do. If you have the old Irish drivers license (paper one) they will take it off you when applying for a NZ licence. Not sure about the new plastic ones though.

USIT are setting up my bank a/c, so I will get my info off them. Thank God I will be getting rid of that paper thing

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Just curious but why did you go through USIT? It's piss easy to do it all by yourself for no extra cost paid to a company. It takes all of 10 mins to set up an account when you get there and you could have done all the visa stuff online.

Couple of reasons actually, my cousin was done by a con who said he would get them jobs, flights and visas, so I wanted to do this through a reputable company. Also all these with these airlines going insolvent, at least they might be able to sort out something if an airline goes down the swanny, saving us the hassle of contacting airlines and rearranging flights and the headache. I also done prices myself for flights, visas and insurance and it near enough worked out the same, cos we're flying down during their summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

That's fair enough.. was just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sadnav

Hi
    We have just returned after seven weeks touring NZ and spent quite a few nights in hostels all over the country. We only ever stayed in double rooms and never had a problem with privacy, having said that we didn't stay in a hostel around CHC. We joined up with BBH before we went and we got a discount and priority booking while there. The membership card is also a phone card which will give you $20NZ and each one will give you around 8 hours of calls to landlines back home. Accommodation around CHC was expensive to buy and it generally follows that rents will be the same. Have a great time..

Thanks for the replies.

I have another question.

The other half has a trade and more than likely will get a second visa. How do I go about getting a second visa.

Is it like Australia, where you pick fruit for 3 months and get it?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rondemole

Thanks for the replies.

I have another question.

The other half has a trade and more than likely will get a second visa. How do I go about getting a second visa.

no not like oz, you get your 1 year then you can apply for a different type of visa. you can get an extension if you work in horticulture or viticulture for three months, but the extension is only for an additional 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

Thanks for the replies.

I have another question.

You can get a second visa through your other half, you will be named as his defacto on his application...

Also when is the best amount of time to apply for a job down there. Are you better off doing it a couple of weeks before you go down or when your actually in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

Also when is the best amount of time to apply for a job down there. Are you better off doing it a couple of weeks before you go down or when your actually in the country?

No harm in sending out your CV's to agencies a few weeks before you leave so you can start setting up interviews with them once your here.

Depending on what field of work your in, it can take time to secure a job so just keep that in mind....

Another question about the NZ drivers licence

My boyfriend wants to know what class is a full rigid truck licence on NZ licence?

And does he have to do a theory test to convert it? He has it over 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Class 4 is the heavy rigid truck licence (>18,000kg laden)

I'm pretty sure he will need to do a theory test, but not a practical to convert.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/heavy-vehicle-road-code/about-licences/other-licensing-information.html (down at the bottom of the page)

• Advertisement
Advertisement