Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

J1 San Francisco 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Cathyokw

I am in the same situation as you. I'm trying to get information about frat houses in berkeley for the summer!! I was hoping to find out about prices etc. If you find anything out can you let me know on this? I'll do the same obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SUMMER14

Hey guys, in the same situation, having trouble trying to find accommodation online.
    I think the best bet is to arrange a hostel where we might stay for the first week, get a few together, look for accommodation & keep the prices down!!
    I think the majority of j1'ers head over end of May or the start of June.

What do yee all think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SUMMER14

Hey guys, in the same situation, having trouble trying to find accommodation online.
    I think the best bet is to arrange a hostel where we might stay for the first week, get a few together, look for accommodation & keep the prices down!!
    I think the majority of j1'ers head over end of May or the start of June.

What do yee all think?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

I could be possibly going to San Fran in the summer in a group of about 6 to 10 people. I can't get a J1 cos I'm finished college but I can get an ESTA travel visa, which means I can't work but I'm gonna save and not spend foolishly in SF.

Does anyone have any recommendations for areas that are within a J1 group's budget and that are safe? I preferably don't mind too much about distance from the city because of my work restrictions but for the others looking for work they obviously need somewhere convenient, as well as being not so financially burdensome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 J1Ruthierags

I'm 21 going with one more 23. Were heading out end of may and will be interested in sharing accom with others in a niceish area close to the city that won't be too expensive hopefully. Were finishing college, would love to hit up with others with a similar mindset of a chillaxed and fun experience. Any advice on areas to rent etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

I'm 21 going with one more 23. Were heading out end of may and will be interested in sharing accom with others in a niceish area close to the city that won't be too expensive hopefully. Were finishing college, would love to hit up with others with a similar mindset of a chillaxed and fun experience. Any advice on areas to rent etc?

Hey guys, I am also finishing college in May, and this is my last chance for j1....same as you guys....definitely up for sharing if you need people! PM me if ya want! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 J1Ruthierags

Hi

Im 22 and looking at living in the Berkely area too. Possibly one more fella 23 going to come too. I wont be flying out til the end of June though. Are ye looking at Berkely town or the frat houses on campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 darylgeraghty

Hi, I'm heading out to san fran on 18th may on the j1. I'm hitting out on my own and would be interested in sharing accomodation with anyone to cut costs. Anyone interested send me a message on the old f.book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 KeaneyD

There are 3 of us heading over on the 4th of June, all up for having a laugh, all 21. Staying in Berkeley, looking to stay in a frat house and are looking to share with other J1ers who are also want to share as rent will be reduced greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Cathyokw

KeaneyD wrote: »
    There are 3 of us heading over on the 4th of June, all up for having a laugh, all 21. Staying in Berkeley, looking to stay in a frat house and are looking to share with other J1ers who are also want to share as rent will be reduced greatly.

Hey there's 2 of us going over on the 2nd, we're also hoping to stay in a frat house! Looking for people to share with too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 plecky93

Hey , Im in the same boat as a lot of the people here I was orginally heading out with 2 friends then they pulled out but I decided to go ahead with booking the J1 alone, Im heading to San Fran on the 1st of June and would be up for sharing accommodation with people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 finnci

A lot of people seem up for sharing etc so thought id let yas know that for those of you on facebook there's a group called J1 "Banter Bible San Fran/Berkeley 2014".. the words banter bible might be a bit cringe but the people seem nice and it could be handy.. if you search and ask to join they'll accept you into it, if not pm me and ill send you an invite or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 aLyons

@plecky93 Hey, i was in the exact same position as you last year. Two lads pulled out last year and still went out, I went bit wacky do and stayed in St. Louis MO. But ya heading out this year again, myself and another guy heading out on the 28th, with a few others heading out early in June. Where u looking at staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dara92cove

@aLyons @plecky93 Hey, I'm heading out alone too, but hopefully I'll have a job sorted for me before I go (my cousin was living in San Fran on a 12 month visa last year).. I hear Berkeley is the place to go for accommodation, so if yer up for it i'm looking for people to house share with...
    I'm flying on the 5th of June, and I'm 21, (I'll be turning 22 over the summer)

That's for anyone else too who's looking for people to house share with

• Registered Users Posts: 6 KeaneyD

Cathyokw wrote: »
    Hey there's 2 of us going over on the 2nd, we're also hoping to stay in a frat house! Looking for people to share with too

We are now arriving on the 11th as college sprung a late test....we are still looking for cheap sharing accommodation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 plecky93

dara92cove wrote: »
    @aLyons @plecky93 Hey, I'm heading out alone too, but hopefully I'll have a job sorted for me before I go (my cousin was living in San Fran on a 12 month visa last year).. I hear Berkeley is the place to go for accommodation, so if yer up for it i'm looking for people to house share with...

@dara92cove I managed to find two more people who are heading out to San Fran on the 1st too so we'd definitely be looking for 2 or 3 more people to share a house/apartment with.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WhatNowHow

plecky93 wrote: »
    @dara92cove I managed to find two more people who are heading out to San Fran on the 1st too so we'd definitely be looking for 2 or 3 more people to share a house/apartment with.

Myself and another girl both 20 are heading out the end of May and looking to share in berkely

plecky93 wrote: »

Well, I am deffo up for this too, I am going alone as far as I know! :)

Ya were both 21 also and looking at Berkeley ourselves. we're heading out on the 28th so we be out a bit before u. We're looking for a few others to share accommodation with, so if anyone's up for it?
    would like to have something set up before heading out, does anyone have any idea how to get in contact with anyone in Berkeley?

26th is when me and 2 others are flying, 1 more to follow a day or so later.. we'll want some of that sharing too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 DUNNELEE94

Hey!

Anyone still looking to share accommodation?? Two lads heading out around 25th of May?

Plus I tried to get into the Facebook group, would be sweet if someone could accept me.

Lee

• Registered Users Posts: 1 paddy in the shmoke

Well, 26 year old heading to San Francisco this year May 2014 looking to share accommodation with anyone interested. Prefer to be living with older people and people that aren't going to be boozing for the whole summer (gettin too old for that malarkey!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dara92cove

aLyons wrote: »
    Ya were both 21 also and looking at Berkeley ourselves. we're heading out on the 28th so we be out a bit before u. We're looking for a few others to share accommodation with, so if anyone's up for it?
    would like to have something set up before heading out, does anyone have any idea how to get in contact with anyone in Berkeley?
    My cousin who lived in San Fran last year, has some contacts for me for accommodation in the city so i'll ask about Berkeley.

So I'm up for that. People on board here, (@aLyons, @plecky93, @WhatNowHow, @Reuben1210) wanna get a facebook group going??

And anyone else looking to get on board

My cousin who lived in San Fran last year, has some contacts for me for accommodation in the city so i'll ask about Berkeley.

So I'm up for that. People on board here, (@aLyons, @plecky93, @WhatNowHow, @Reuben1210) wanna get a facebook group going??

And anyone else looking to get on board

Yes definitely!!..my Facebook name is andy mcmuffin

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Has anybody here got any idea about GAA in San Fran, or thinking of playing over there? Wondering which clubs are most friendly for J1 visitors etc...I'd be quite handy, nothing unbelievable but would be looking to play at a high standard over there whilst also hoping that possibly be sorted out with perhaps a job or at least a bit of craic! :)

Well, Ya I was thinking about playing. I was talking to someone from the san Francisco GAA page and he gave a quick rundown on the clubs, and gave me there Facebook pages. I have literally done nothing with the info do. I'm undecided on who to ask though seen as there was a few clubs. if there was a few going playing do, would make it a bit easier. What u looking to play yourself Hurling or football? I can email the info onto u if u want?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

aLyons wrote: »
    Well, Ya I was thinking about playing. I was talking to someone from the san Francisco GAA page and he gave a quick rundown on the clubs, and gave me there Facebook pages. I have literally done nothing with the info do. I'm undecided on who to ask though seen as there was a few clubs. if there was a few going playing do, would make it a bit easier. What u looking to play yourself Hurling or football? I can email the info onto u if u want?

I am actually believe it or not in an identical situation to you! I emailed the San Fran main page and probably got a very similar reponse as yourself and have done nothing about it since! Ye the fact there are a few clubs is holding me up too! I'd be a football man meself, be good way to meet new people as well as maybe helping on the job front I reckon!

Haha, its a bollix really he gave me a lot of of clubs but didnt really say where they were. I'd be a Hurling man myself. Im actually just going to message them there now, Naomh Padraig. There's probably a few people around that have contacted teams so must get a move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 guy5

Hello,

So today I got offered an internship related to my degree in San Francisco for the summer on the condition that I can get a visa.

So my question is, is it possible for me to get a J1 visa if I graduated in September 2013?

Thank you in advance for any replies!

• Advertisement

I think it might be, you'd be better off hopping into usit or someone and just asking them though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement