Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lying to get out of things... Do you tell such bogus or serious lies?

• 23-09-2012 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭

To try and make a long story short ....

I started a FAS course a few weeks ago. To give a little back story everyone on the course is on the social welfare and was given the course by FAS. That naturally means there are always some who dont wanna be there :P Which hey, even tho i've attended every day so far I totally understand why (Its not a course people chose afterall. For me it gets me out more. What else would I be doing? :) ) But its just some of the lies "reasons" they cant attend makes me laugh :pac:

So far, people have said the following as to why they couldnt make it:

- One person won a "suprise" holiday to the caribbean.
    - Another said they were at the dentist one day and were in pain. A white lie perhaps. But the same person later said that their dad was an alcoholic entering rehab, thus they can't attend.
    - Another said that their brother was shot back home.
    - Several other people have had "reasons" to not attend just that I havent heard them yet :pac:

So what about you?
    Would you have no issue telling such a blatant or serious lie to get out of things?

Telling a "serious or obvious bogus" lie ..... Do you? would you? 8 votes

No I couldnt.
    0% 0 votes
    Yes I could.
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Ristiano Conaldo

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Ex gf was a legend at it. Me, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Honestly? With FÁS courses the best one was "I was tired". Far as I know nobody gives two fecks if you show up or not.
    As nerdy as it is in the online video game World of Warcraft, you do hear some of the best ones when people have to leave randomly. Basically some stuff needs a group, so some people to heal the damages, others to take the damage and so on. So it takes a few players working in a group.

My personal favourite was one night when we were ready to go.
    Then one of the regulars pops on with this lovely wording
    I can't make it tonight, bit of a family issue
    What's wrong
    Me sister, she broke her leg and me mum needs to go to the hospital with her
    Well yeah but can you play on or do you need to go or wha?
    I er, I need to make sure the dinner is cooked, I'll see you later.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

So what about you?
    Would you have no issue telling such a blatant or serious lie to get out of things?

I cannot lie to save my life. It can make it difficult though when people ask me to cover for them or ask me to 'shade' the entire run of events as I cannot tell anything but the truth :)

I am happy with that though, it keeps my conscience clear so it does. If they cannot be open and honest, that's their own problem, so I don't see why I should let it affect my life.

Open and Honest is my motto. If someone tries to lie to cover their ass and bring me into the situation to cover or back them up, then, their next lie better be something real special :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Have a friend who was meant to move into a house with a few other friends,but when it came to moving day he claimed he couldn't move in with them as he'd hurt his leg and had to stay living at home with his parents.A strange lie that made little sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The amount of people who have fallen victim to being framed by my fart shenanigans is unbelievable, every one of them pointed out as prime suspects with me playing the part with: "Jesus Christ, what the fùck is that smell!?! Someone needs to see a vet......"

The trick is, don't be the first to notice the smell. Wait to be the 3rd or 4th reaction.

With a little bit of acting I've had entire pubs accuse, mock, and banish that one innocent person, with me amongst the agitated mob clenching my teeth as hard as possible to stop me from pissing myself laughing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

When you're a successful self made billionaire like myself, you cease to feel the need to compulsively tell untruths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

One pr!ck at work is always trying to get out of jobs by saying he "won't get on no plane" (our work often requires travel, he knows this, but insists on playing this bullsh!t card, every fu.cking time)... myself & two of the other guys just drug him.

Bloke I know either ran out of "annual leave" from his job or else just didn't fancy the idea of filling out the forms. Dunno, but either way was looking to take a holiday to Spain without his boss finding out he didn't really have the burst appendix he told his boss about.

He thought he got away with it, supervisor telling him over the phone to take it easy and stay off your feet and all that (possibly passing an oversize card around the place for co-workers to sign, donate a fiver, etc), while yer man flies off for a week on the beach. The perfect crime!

On the way back, the culprit happens to be landing in Ireland on the same day the HR manager is leaving for his own holiday. He spots your man with the allegedly “bad appendix” doing the congo off the plane with his bird and their two kids wearing a sombrero, an Ireland football shirt, and a pair of bermudas.

HR manager takes a bunch of pics in the airport from a distance. Comes back two weeks later and the guy who invented the story about the appendix was sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Used to do it alot back in school, I'd be late for class and my excuse would be I was helping my elderly neighbour with her shopping etc, or sometimes there was a death in the family, Nowadays I dont bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

my mate told me he is a compulsive liar but i dont believe him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

One pr!ck at work is always trying to get out of jobs by saying he "won't get on no plane" (our work often requires travel, he knows this, but insists on playing this bullsh!t card, every fu.cking time)... myself & two of the other guys just drug him.

I'm going to kill you now, sucker :mad:

Advertisement