Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

IMG_0442.jpg

month old FL22 calf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

The only way is up! Best foot forward now... :D

Image0302.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

johngalway wrote: »
    The only way is up! Best foot forward now... :D

Image0302.jpg

great cover of grass there John

Yeah, that is a good spot, but to be fair the vast majority of the place isn't at all far behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

johnpawl wrote: »
    I reckon you couldnt give her away at the mart!

I always think it's gas that. There's no real way of knowing what a cow will produce by looking at her.

Ya I'd prob run a mile from her if she entered the ring, but there you go she's producing the goods. The factory cheque might be small for her down the road, but who cares with calves like that!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

To be sure John. Do you shake a bit of bag by hand?

Muckit wrote: »
    To be sure John. Do you shake a bit of bag by hand?

Yep, 10 bags of 18.6.12 went on the saved part of the farm at the start of March, lambing then started on the 29th, growth worked well for me this year. Had the ewes out of that bit since Mid Jan I think, there was six hoggets in it until just before the 18.6.12 went on and then nothing until the first lambed ewe arrived into it. If you get the weather and the grass in your favour for lambing it means a lot.

Top of the place got nothing the past two years, too few pennies in the jar lol. Have to put a bit of something on it this year though, the colour difference is really showing either side of the fence.

That's her first time lambing. Stuck them in the shed for the night as it wasn't too hospitable out earlier. See how tomorrow is for letting them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

IMG_0442.jpg

month old FL22 calf
    class bit of shape there out of d fr cow!!! heifr or bull?? great lookin calvin gate btw;)

Ah no thats just a cow that was in the shed when we managed to catch him to skull the little brat. he tipped into the shed one day so we closed the gate quick behind him! Hes actually out of a BBxFr cow
    the photo doesnt do him justice. Nice bit of muscle coming on him.

as for the gate, Just watch out for cowboys with welders is all I'll say! :D

the cow slipped in the parlour and damaged a quarter befor we could sell her :mad:
    She's feeding 4 calves now and hopefully if she has a long dry period she might be right when she calves again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Yep, 10 bags of 18.6.12 went on the saved part of the farm at the start of March, lambing then started on the 29th, growth worked well for me this year. Had the ewes out of that bit since Mid Jan I think, there was six hoggets in it until just before the 18.6.12 went on and then nothing until the first lambed ewe arrived into it. If you get the weather and the grass in your favour for lambing it means a lot.

Top of the place got nothing the past two years, too few pennies in the jar lol. Have to put a bit of something on it this year though, the colour difference is really showing either side of the fence.

Nice looking lambs John.

I put out some stuff 27-2.5-5 there as well a few weeks ago on one field - very disappointed with the results. Now - the field is old grass, wasnt reseeded in maybe 20 years, so you cant expect miracles either like. But the response from fertiliser was very poor I thought.
    As for the rest of the place - same as yerself John - too few pennies, thats it for the fertiliser now.

Nice looking lambs John.

I put out some stuff 27-2.5-5 there as well a few weeks ago on one field - very disappointed with the results. Now - the field is old grass, wasnt reseeded in maybe 20 years, so you cant expect miracles either like. But the response from fertiliser was very poor I thought.
    As for the rest of the place - same as yerself John - too few pennies, thats it for the fertiliser now.

Jaysus the first lamb is tiny! Named her (yeah, yeah, I know) Cooper, after the mini's :pac: The other lamb is Captain Slow. Walking him down the land yesterday, bloody hell, he hesitated at every blade of grass while the small one was throwing herself over all obstacles in her path :pac:

Let them out of the shed this morning so the ewe can grab a bit of grass, had to change them down into the hospital field though as she took Capt. Slow and left Cooper behind sleeping while she went up the land, wasn't impressed :rolleyes:

I don't know if any seed has ever been put out on the place that I have TBH. Dad had it off the uncle before me, I've got it maybe 14+ years now and I never put out any seed. Interested in giving overseeding a go when I have my fencing right though, just to see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Interested in giving overseeding a go when I have my fencing right though

Are Ya afraid the seed will break out?:D

PS. Lovely pic of the Ewe and Lambs.

Jaysus the first lamb is tiny! Named her (yeah, yeah, I know) Cooper, after the mini's :pac: The other lamb is Captain Slow. Walking him down the land yesterday, bloody hell, he hesitated at every blade of grass while the small one was throwing herself over all obstacles in her path :pac:

Let them out of the shed this morning so the ewe can grab a bit of grass, had to change them down into the hospital field though as she took Capt. Slow and left Cooper behind sleeping while she went up the land, wasn't impressed :rolleyes:

I don't know if any seed has ever been put out on the place that I have TBH. Dad had it off the uncle before me, I've got it maybe 14+ years now and I never put out any seed. Interested in giving overseeding a go when I have my fencing right though, just to see how it goes.

She'll be coming on all the time... Although I dont like to hear that the ewe left her though, thats not good...

Q for ya - how long does the number-sprayed-on stay visible on the sheep / lambs for? Am wondering is it a good system? Right now, I am tagging em. And I find there is always a few of the lambs always lose their tags... which is annoying. Maybe putting on numbers like that would be better...

Bizzum wrote: »
    Are Ya afraid the seed will break out?:D

Damn right I am, it's expensive stuff from all accounts. To be on the safe side I think I'll keep it in the shed altogether :pac:
    She'll be coming on all the time... Although I dont like to hear that the ewe left her though, thats not good...

Q for ya - how long does the number-sprayed-on stay visible on the sheep / lambs for? Am wondering is it a good system? Right now, I am tagging em. And I find there is always a few of the lambs always lose their tags... which is annoying. Maybe putting on numbers like that would be better...

They're in the hospital field now, it's small and I've checked on them since and they seem to be happy families again. I'll put them in for the night later on and they'll only see that field for the next while until the little lamb is more able for the ewe. I didn't like it either, which is why she got marched right back down again :pac:

I numbered 1 on the 29th and 2 on the 30th, I'll see if I can get a photo later. It's not the best for Blackface because of the way their wool grows, the numbers do get blotchy. I am thinking of tagging them to be honest, but along with spraying graffiti on them. I can't remember from last year how long it lasts. Not as long as I'd like :pac: If you don't keep the numbers really clear, they can become hard to make out.

Sheep farming, it's a dangerous business...

bewareofthefox.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭stanflt

cows after milking this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

stanflt wrote: »

looks like a race track in the background

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Hard to beat the dairy men for growing grass!

looks like a race track in the background

lester pigoots daughter had a few rides around that track!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Great photos there lads, keep em coming

best thread on the whole of boards.ie i'd say;)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭candor

You milking many?

candor wrote: »
    You milking many?
    milking 100-would be milking 125 if quota allowed-only 66acres on grazing platform

lucky to get away with super levy, milked 100 all last year and got 200ktemp lease and was still 90k over

going to buy quota this year cause i feel quota WONT be done away with-you have to take a chance in life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

going to buy quota this year cause i feel quota WONT be done away with-you have to take a chance in life[/QUOTE]
    just curious why do you think that, not arguing with you this time of year i walk out to the field just to see the cows grazin like that

Better late than never reply:

Think I said before that it's important to get the number on clean and tidy. My ewes wool isn't the best for it as it's all over the place not like lowland sheep. Lambs can be a problem when they start growing too.

That said, here's 2 who was marked on the 30th March.

6 is to the very right of the picture and was marked on the 1st April, but messily :rolleyes:

Image0304.jpg

Will try to get lamb photos later on, thought I had them :o

Better late than never reply:

Think I said before that it's important to get the number on clean and tidy. My ewes wool isn't the best for it as it's all over the place not like lowland sheep. Lambs can be a problem when they start growing too.

That said, here's 2 who was marked on the 30th March.

6 is to the very right of the picture and was marked on the 1st April, but messily :rolleyes:

Will try to get lamb photos later on, thought I had them :o

Cheers John.

I know that big 'yoke' with the wire on top left is a brid trap, but what are the other two things in the field? Look like small sheets of timber nailed onto stakes? :confused:
    (Yes, just being nosey now) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭easymoney!

wel all new to the site!!!

just admiring your sheep there john! the lambs like the comfort of the trough!

are you along the coast lovely views.....

Cheers John.

I know that big 'yoke' with the wire on top left is a brid trap, but what are the other two things in the field? Look like small sheets of timber nailed onto stakes? :confused:
    (Yes, just being nosey now) ;)

They're the backing for the wooden sheep I put out at inspection time for the Department helicopters ;)

Ah no, they're holders for rifle targets. To check my rifles are shooting where they should be :)
    easymoney! wrote: »
    wel all new to the site!!!

just admiring your sheep there john! the lambs like the comfort of the trough!

are you along the coast lovely views.....

Yep, right along the Atlantic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭easymoney!

ya near clifden? or are you "down south conamara" !!! ;)

• Advertisement

Nearer to Clifden yeah.

Thought of another good use of putting numbers on sheep. If you're only supposed to have say 70 or so, start your numbers around 90 something, any inspector comes around he'll be scratching the head working that out :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement