Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It is a slightly odd rule alright, but I think they would have to prove that your not from UK/ Ireland rather than you having to prove that you are. The simpliest way of doing that of course is with a passport.

It's mostly a case of they will just let everyone through though, unless they are bored or someone recently changed the colour of the bulb in the terror alert warning system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

robinph wrote: »
    It is a slightly odd rule alright, but I think they would have to prove that your not from UK/ Ireland rather than you having to prove that you are. The simpliest way of doing that of course is with a passport.

It's mostly a case of they will just let everyone through though, unless they are bored or someone recently changed the colour of the bulb in the terror alert warning system.

How could they prove it either way? Every time I get checked I think how utterly bizarre it is. Sometimes when I get off the Enterprise in Dublin the guards ask where I'm from and I say 'here' and they say 'grand so'. Surely anyone can just say Irish or British? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

Many thanks indeed to all of you who helped out.

The situation is that I queued up again today, Thursday, and it was a good job I did.

When I handed in the application at the counter, the chap took one look at the 2nd passport photo and said it was no use as it was "creased". So I forked out ANOTHER jaysus €6 and got the photos done there and then. So if I had gone Passport Express route I would have got a phone call or a letter saying it was all fooked and to come back in again.

The reason, of course, why it was creased was because they had me walking around for 4 days with the shagging photos. Post Office insisted on going straight to Molesworth street......and Molesworth street {Via Mr. Nugent, head of the passport office} said it was no slower going via the Post Office and Passport Express.

When pressed on this matter he conceded that in practical terms, around 24 hours were saved by queing outside the office rather than going thru the post office method. It is worth noting that he acknowledged the total break down in communications between An Post and the Passport Office on the matter.

So I have been given a tentative collection date for the passport of March 30th. That leaves me with a 3 day window of error, as I travel April 3rd. I was given a receipt and a tracking number.

So, some small amount of light at the end of what has been undoubtedly an arduous tunnel.

For what it is worth, the staff in the social welfare offices cut a far more inspired figure than the lads in the passport office. They were one jaded, tatty, upset and confused looking lot. The lad on the payment desk was lugubriousness personified. I mean he looked like he was about to burst into tears, any minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 KimK

Hi all,
    Lots of really helpful info on here. I'm waiting on my 4 year olds passport which we need for the 2nd May. I sent it over 4 weeks ago and it was returned due to a problem with the witness signature. Anyway have posted it again today but the returned letter did say the 10 day turn around no longer applies. If it took 4 weeks for it to be returned I'd say we could be looking at another 4 weeks for it to be completed. The Dublin phone lines are still down due to the flooding looks like they'll be down untill next Tuesday but they have a recorded message with info and the offices are reopened but they ask that nobody goes to the offices in town please use the postal service. The flooding has caused further delays too but can't give a timeline.

Their website is quite helpfull too (passport.ie) and if you have the barcode number you can track it. It's updated each day.

Hope this helps. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0318/breaking70.html
    Passport offices to be hit by strike action

Members of the Civil and Public Services Union and the Public Service Executive Union have said they will not be operating public counters in the Passport Service from 1pm tomorrow. [Friday]

Passport offices in Dublin, Cork, and Balbriggan will be closed to the public as a result of the action.

The Passport Service has apologised to customers for the disruption and said updates will be published on their website www.passport.ie.

Last Tuesday the passport office in Molesworth Street, Dublin 2 was forced to close due to extensive flooding.

Passport.ie appears not to be working just at the moment and is resolving to http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=253

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=83376
    Flooding - Passport Office Dublin

The passport office in Dublin's Molesworth Street has now reopened after extensive flooding on Tuesday last. However, the damage has caused further delays to the processing of passport applications.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=83334
    INDUSTRIAL ACTION IN THE PASSPORT OFFICES

Friday 19 March

Due to Industrial Action in the Passport Offices customers are advised as follows:

Telephone contact with the offices will not be available between 09:00 and 13:00 on Friday 19 March.

The Passport Offices in Cork and Molesworth Street will be closed to the public from 13:00 on Friday 19 March. Customers who have already arranged to collect their passports on Friday 19 March must do so before 13:00 on that date.

The Passport Service apologises to customers for the disruption of service and inconvenience caused by ongoing industrial action and advises them of the following:

1. It is no longer possible to guarantee a turnaround time for the issuing of passports. Projected turnaround times for the issuing of passports will be posted on the Passport Service website: www.passport.ie

2. The 10 day guarantee for receipt of applications submitted through the Passport Express service provided by An Post and the Royal Mail is suspended until further notice.

3. Passports received through these services will be processed on a first come first served basis. Applications submitted by Passport Express are currently being processed between 10 and 15 days of receipt.

4. It will not be possible to fast-track any application other than in a case of genuine family emergency, in which case proof will be required that travel is necessitated by the death, illness or welfare of a family member. The issuing of passports in such emergencies is not affected by the industrial dispute.

5. The public counters and out of hours services should only be used by those who have a necessity to travel for reasons of family emergency.

6. All other applications should be submitted through the Passport Express channel.

7. Customers should retain the barcode number on their passport application or the customer service number provided by the postal service and use this number to check the status of their application on the Passport Service website: www.passport.ie.

8. The requirement that applicants submit their existing passport with their application for a new passport has been temporarily suspended in cases where the current passport has not yet fully expired. In such cases, customers should include a photocopy of the personal details pages of the current passport with their application for a new passport.

9. Before making any overseas travel plans, customers should check the expiry dates of their own passport and the passports of persons on whose behalf they are making bookings. If a passport has expired or has insufficient validity to allow completion of the planned journey (bearing in mind that some States require persons entering their territory to have a minimum remaining validity on their passport), an application for renewal should be submitted now and in sufficient time that the new passport can be received before the intended date of travel.

10. The current industrial action has seen closure of the public offices and/or telephone services at short notice. Updates will therefore only be available on the Passport Service website: www.passport.ie

04 March 2010

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    And how would they know if you were originally from round these parts if you had no ID? :confused: I always found that a really weird and confusing rule. I often get asked for ID on the bus between Dublin and Belfast, when it gets stopped at the border, and I feel like I have to prove I AM British by producing ID, even though I theoretically have no obligation to do so. On the few occasions I had no ID on me, what if they'd decided I didn't seem British/Irish enough?
    IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    How could they prove it either way? Every time I get checked I think how utterly bizarre it is. Sometimes when I get off the Enterprise in Dublin the guards ask where I'm from and I say 'here' and they say 'grand so'. Surely anyone can just say Irish or British? :confused:

It's a total croc Irish/British people getting hassled for passports on the Dublin/Belfast buses. thing is though, it's a piss-easy way for anyone to enter Ireland "illegaly" as the say. I came from Scotland to Dublin via Belfast port and there was about 20 "Asian looking" people with huge suitcases. I'd say it was fairly obvious what they were up to and I'd imagine the NIB Garda would be collaring them kinda people - ye know, not whites with foreign accents and all of their belongings in a suitcase.
    Many thanks indeed to all of you who helped out.

The situation is that I queued up again today, Thursday, and it was a good job I did.

When I handed in the application at the counter, the chap took one look at the 2nd passport photo and said it was no use as it was "creased". So I forked out ANOTHER jaysus €6 and got the photos done there and then. So if I had gone Passport Express route I would have got a phone call or a letter saying it was all fooked and to come back in again.

The reason, of course, why it was creased was because they had me walking around for 4 days with the shagging photos. Post Office insisted on going straight to Molesworth street......and Molesworth street {Via Mr. Nugent, head of the passport office} said it was no slower going via the Post Office and Passport Express.

When pressed on this matter he conceded that in practical terms, around 24 hours were saved by queing outside the office rather than going thru the post office method. It is worth noting that he acknowledged the total break down in communications between An Post and the Passport Office on the matter.

So I have been given a tentative collection date for the passport of March 30th. That leaves me with a 3 day window of error, as I travel April 3rd. I was given a receipt and a tracking number.

So, some small amount of light at the end of what has been undoubtedly an arduous tunnel.

For what it is worth, the staff in the social welfare offices cut a far more inspired figure than the lads in the passport office. They were one jaded, tatty, upset and confused looking lot. The lad on the payment desk was lugubriousness personified. I mean he looked like he was about to burst into tears, any minute.

That's far to much hassle for a trip to London! You're going to be gutted when you arrive in Heathrow in the special "RoI, inland, Channel Islands" arrivals bit and aren't even asked for ANY Id .

keep your eye on their website daily, they may have it ready much sooner than that, I know they are working to rule but when I went for my daughter's passport last year they gave me a date of say ten days in advance and when I checked online the next day, it was ready!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Grace24

Do you need a passport for travelling between UK and ireland with aer lingus?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No, you can use alternative photo ID's (such as driving licence, work ID, student card etc). Check their site for a list.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

I sent in my passport renewel on Feb 11th and chq was cashed on Feb 19th.
    Unfortunately though I sent it by regular post in the Post Office and didn't receive an application number.
    Not travelling till June 6th, although it is our honeymoon and I also need to get a Visa for the country we're visiting prior to this.
    Travel agent advises hold out for another bit.
    Impossible to get through on phone lines...
    sent two emails and they've so far been ignored...
    if i even had this application number i would be happy to have it tracked for now.
    any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I sent in my Passport for renewal on 9th March, am travelling again on the
    6th of April, the online tracking tells me it was recieved on the 11th and is being checked, with Easter week etc I have 8 more days for the Passport to arrive in the post!!

I am wondering if I can get my old Passport back from them as it is not out until the end of April>?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hi Guys, sorry to add yet another passport question, but I seem to remember reading here that Ireland is one of the countries that has an agreement with the US that says as long as the passport is valid for the dates of travel, it does not have to have six months validity on date of return.

However the only threads I can find about this are quite old. Can someone tell me if this is still the case and maybe direct me to the correct website to read about this?

I am planning to go to NYC Aug 27th - Sept 3rd, my passport expires 10 Jan 2010. Normally I would just play it safe and get a new one, but the way things are in the passport office, I am nervous about sending off my old passport. Thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

/me thinks that we need a new passport sub-forum :)

Even with the strike there's no chance of not getting a new passport by August. It isn't quite that bad.

At the same time you are correct, you don't need the 6 months on passport :)

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Ponster wrote: »
    /me thinks that we need a new passport sub-forum :)

Even with the strike there's no chance of not getting a new passport by August. It isn't quite that bad.

At the same time you are correct, you don't need the 6 months on passport :)

Link

Thanks Ponster, that was exactly what I was looking for. I know the delay isn't as bad as all that, but after hearing that there is a backlog of 40'000 applications, you never know! I need it for next month, so might see how things are after that and apply for a new one, but at least I know I am covered either way. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

The latest seems to be there is chaos down at the passport office.
    Backlog of 40,000 applications and I really don't know for sure if you will get your passport back within 8 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,980 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Question.

I´m goign to be renewing my passport here in Berlin in May for an urgent trip in July. Will I get held up by the backlog as well, or are they delt with independantly?

Not worrying too much... but will be down the Irish embassy here in a day or three just to be on the safe side!

P.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 RunSwift

Hi Ikky Poo2,

When I applied at Molesworth Street on 15th March, I asked if I flew over to the UK and applied at the Irish embassy, would I get my passport any sooner?
    I was told that it wouldn't make a difference as it would be subject to the same delays so I would advise you to get there as soon as you can, just in case.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Hi all,

Sorry to highjack the thread but I'm in a similar position to the op, I'm going to Vegas in august for stag and Orlando in October for honeymoon.

My passport is out of date the end of November. It's great the six months thing doesn't apply because at least I'm covered but my question is I'm getting a connecting flight in gatwick on route to Vegas so would I run into any problems there?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭ David Thoughtless Prairie

Ok flying in 6 weeks, whats the best way to renew my passport? Should I send through an post? Or are people driving to Cork having any luck? What are my chances :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Ok flying in 6 weeks, whats the best way to renew my passport? Should I send through an post? Or are people driving to Cork having any luck? What are my chances :confused:
    Sources at the Department of Foreign Affairs have confirmed that the Passport Office now has a backlog of 40,000 passport applications waiting to be processed.

It is thought it will now take up to 20 working days to complete an application.
    It is unclear whether the backlog will rise over the approaching Easter holidays, particularly as the holiday season approaches and demand traditionally increases.
    They say delays of 20 working days so thats 4weeks, you will be cutting it fine and if was a betting man i would say No, you will not have it on time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

No worries. An EU passport is valid for travel within the EU up to it's expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

you have nothing to loose , fast track it , you may be lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Why are people leaving it with a few weeks to get themselves a passport anyway?! For what it's worth if you're flying to the UK you won't need a passport (unless you use Crimair).

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

You should also note that the passport office has temporarily suspended the requirement for you to submit your old passport if it is in date, so you can apply for a new one without having to surrender the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

I've heard the passport office are being really picky with photographs!
    My wife got her photos returned to her today saying her head was to high in the shot!
    I thought it looked OK!
    She has heard a lot of people getting their photos returned...which would probably never have been returned pre-strike!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

sent mine in by express on the 10th aswell, suppose to be flying out on the 7th april , but heres the best bit " i lost my tracking number" so i dont know weather im coming or going .
    has anyone got their passport in less than 20 days within the last month by express ???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

shanagarry wrote: »
    You should also note that the passport office has temporarily suspended the requirement for you to submit your old passport if it is in date, so you can apply for a new one without having to surrender the old one.
    do you have a link for that information?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

do you have a link for that information?

The Passport sticky!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Very good,

Thank you so much. A bloody load off I can tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

*another passport question*

Basically, my passport expires in a months time. After getting some (bad) advise on the ability to travel on a passport thats not in date for a few months after my return journey I applied via the express service for a renewal.

The online service says it was received on the 11th of March. Then the dispute really kicked off.

I need it back for the Thursday 1st April for a weeks holidays within the EU (travel on Easter Sunday but no post on Good Friday 2nd April).

However, I have since found out (and nobody at the post office told me) that
    Quote:
    8. The requirement that applicants submit their existing passport with their application for a new passport has been temporarily suspended in cases where the current passport has not yet fully expired. In such cases, customers should include a photocopy of the personal details pages of the current passport with their application for a new passport.

If I was to que up can i withdraw my application for a renewal and sort it out in the future as the current passport will cover my travel.
    Or simply get them to photocopy the personal details pages and give my passport back and travel on it?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement