Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Did You Know? ....... Strange Facts

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

liah wrote: »
    I never understood how anyone actually bought that one. It makes no sense, of course they can look up, and yet I've spoken to people who actually believe they can't. :confused:
    sub-x wrote: »
    Dogs can't look up information on Wikipedia

Is that better liah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

This is a fact -- you won't kill yourself by holding your own breathe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Spear wrote: »

It seems that i was wrong.

Thank you for clearing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Fiend-Foe

That guy scared the crap out of me when I was younger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If you are enjoying this thread half as much as I am then I'm still enjoying it twice as much as you are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Famous45 wrote: »
    This is a fact -- you won't kill yourself by holding your own breathe.
    I just killed myself and got someone to jump start me off their car. Myth busted

Hagar wrote: »
    If you are enjoying this thread half as much as I am then I'm still enjoying it twice as much as you are.

Woah, thats really deep dude.

No, no, wait, stop it, you are freaking me out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Kangaroos cant walk backwards

cows can walk upstairs but cant walk down them ( what was the guy who found that out doing with the poor cows:eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

A7X wrote: »
    Tis a very viscous slow moving liquid. Go to old churches that hae the original glass still intact. The bottom of the pane of glass will be thicker than the top.

BLUFF!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass#Glass_versus_a_supercooled_liquid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Haven't we done this recently already? Anyway Polar bears aren't white. Their fur is transparent hair which reflects light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

Elephants can't jump

Polar bears are the only animal that will seek out humans for food (sharks, lions, tigers etc tend to stumble across them by accident)

A child under the age of five cannot reach over the top of their head to touch their ear - if you get what I mean, and I'm damned if I'm going looking for a four year old to take a photo of.

People in Britain and Ireland don't eat horse meat because they consider it "sacrilegious" as our ancestors worshipped Epona, the horse goddess.

Baywatch was the most watched show on television.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

you can't fold anything in half more than 7 times. Try it with paper, toilet paper etc and you'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Birdie086 wrote: »
    the european country that exports the most bananas is ireland

That'd be Iceland actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

you can't fold anything in half more than 7 times. Try it with paper, toilet paper etc and you'll see!

Wrong

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is uncopyrightable.

My dermatoglyphics teacher would beg to differ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Dogs can survive on a strict vegetarian diet.
    Cats will die on a strict vegetarian diet.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

javaboy wrote: »
    Proprietor is the same length. I figured that out after glancing at the keyboard. Perhaps I'm one of those idiot savants with amazing talents that employers aren't interested in. :(

While I was checking to see if you were right, I noticed perpetuity. Is there a club we can join?

www.symbolics.com was the first domain name ever registered. You'd think in 24 years they'd have time to come up with something a little better than this.

Nolanger wrote: »
    Dogs can survive on a strict vegetarian diet.
    But not chocolate, it is toxic to dogs and even a small amount can kill a poor scooby.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Kangaroos cant walk backwards

cows can walk upstairs but cant walk down them ( what was the guy who found that out doing with the poor cows:eek:)

lol some chap in ballymun found this out the hard way - but with a horse - think kids brought the horse up the stairs of one of the flats, but the lift was broke and the horse wouldn't go down - priceless - poor horse was just lookin over the balcony....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

BVB wrote: »
    No proof needed !!!

People who laugh a lot are much healthier than those who don't. Dr. Lee Berk at the Loma Linda School of Public Health in California found that laughing lowers levels of stress hormones, and strengthens the immune system - not to mention a good belly-laugh is great exercise!! Six-year-olds have it best - they laugh an average of 300 times a day. Adults only laugh 15 to 100 times a day.

BVB you forgot to mention that six year olds get 300 laughs a day from observing *Adults* :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Ace2007 wrote: »
    lol some chap in ballymun found this out the hard way - but with a horse - think kids brought the horse up the stairs of one of the flats, but the lift was broke and the horse wouldn't go down - priceless - poor horse was just lookin over the balcony....

Erm...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O66Sdu_GCc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

In Bahrain, a male doctor may legally examine a woman’s genitals but is forbidden from looking directly at them during the examination; he may only see their reflection in a mirror.

ynotdu wrote: »
    BVB you forgot to mention that six year olds get 300 laughs a day from observing *Adults* :)

Kids laugh at me and run off . must be the nose:(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

liah wrote: »

stairs are not steps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Caoimhín wrote: »
    But not chocolate, it is toxic to dogs and even a small amount can kill a poor scooby.
    Is that why you can't buy chocolate in Limerick?

PS you spelt Scobie wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

The eyeball of an Ostrich is larger than its brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Ace2007 wrote: »
    stairs are not steps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D9TVczy6rw

Either way, a horse can still complete the function required to go down stairs. The horse was probably too shít-scared over the idiots who brought it in in the first place, the stairwell was likely dark, and it probably couldn't see its footing.

They are fully capable of stairclimbing. What a horse can climb, it can get down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

ART6 wrote: »
    Giraffes are the only animals that can't swim.

*Possibly with necks that long they don't generally need to*

....and dead cats.

in alaska it's illegal to throw a moose out of a plane!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

pebbles21 wrote: »

Im more worried about who ever found out that you can get milk from a cow and who's idea was it to drink it

Advertisement