Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have any regrets?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

No, I don't smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Too few to mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Elba101 wrote: »
    Was reading an article just there about the most common things said on a death bed - number one being "I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me."

Have you ever been held back, or not done something, because you were too afraid of what people might think? Do you have any regrets?

Theres a few wet holes I wish I hadn't gone spelunking in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

hmmm, nothing that seems to stand out right now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

nope

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

not saying that really funny thing in my seminar just a few mins ago, may aswell kill myself now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Too few to mention.

So that would be a yes then.

I do. I wish I had learned to not care about what people think of me years ago. Not even learned, but understood how insignificent someone elses opinion of me (who's not important to me) is.

John Doe1 wrote: »
    not saying that really funny thing in my seminar just a few mins ago, may aswell kill myself now:(

If it was really funny you should share.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yes some big one's but I try to keep looking forward. That's the beauty of time it keeps rolling on and new opportunities will arise. I'm convinced I'd drive myself insane if I dwelt too long on the past and what I didn't or did do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

"Regret" is just another word for "Lessons unlearned".

My mistakes have made a better person.

In short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

My dog died today, and I have to bury him.

I regret not spending more time with him and loving him more. I regret that his injuries were so serious and nothing could be done. I regret that that he died. I loved him.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I dont think I made the most of college from a social point of view. Thats my only real regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭ciano1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

If it was really funny you should share.

Sorry but you probably wouldnt understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i sort of regret opening this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

I dont think I made the most of college from a social point of view. Thats my only real regret.

Would agree with this. Made a handful of friends nothing major - Didnt bother with others. Still see other friends keeping in touch with people from college quite regularly and it wouldnt be the same for myself.

I think it's harsh to say you regret it.. you made an informed decision based on the information you had at the time. Who were you to know that it wouldn't work out for the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I regret not joining the army!

I love the life i have, but there is this niggling feeling that i missed out by not joining up back in 1996, i had everything ready but i didn't do it, hid the application form under my bed :( thinking my parents would disapprove since im female and only a few years earlier my cousin was paralysed in Kuwait and my grandmothers brother was killed in ww2.

I really, really wanted to join, prehaps i would be dead now if i had of done and wouldnt have my husband and 3 kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Of course I have some regrets in my life but there hasn't been anything major. A lot are either wishing I had the courage to ask a girl out, should have gone somewhere with mates, acted an idiot when I shouldn't have done etc. Nothing major and rather banal considering how long your life actually is.

I think though with regrets and opportunities that while in hindsight you should have done it, you can't regret it too much because I feel you would still make the same decision again based on your context and knowledge at the time. A regret is usually just a life lesson.

Looking at that article one thing I really need to learn though is to enjoy life more. I'm only 21 but I feel I'm living life always looking forward to the next stage rather than living and enjoying life at the moment. I think as a consequence I'm not relaxed enough and am needlessly cynical. Since 16 I've been looking forward to go to uni and now I'm here all I'm looking forward to doing is leaving. You can't enjoy life as much if you're always on to the next thing. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

Regret I didnt become a civil servant :mad:

Would be sorted now...lucky duckers

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I regret the girls I believe I could have slept with, but for one reason or another, I didnt give it my best shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Hmm my major regret is just the opposite, I made the most of the social aspect and didn't apply myself at all hence failing second year and then not bothering to repeat. Jesus! I was a moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

regrets? I have a few
    but, then again..
    jaykay74 wrote: »
    Too few to mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Pissmire

Sindri wrote: »
    My dog died today, and I have to bury him.

I regret not spending more time with him and loving him more. I regret that his injuries were so serious and nothing could be done. I regret that that he died. I loved him.

Sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

regret the shít i got up to the other nite:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I regret I never shot that bastard when I had the chance...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Regret I didnt become a civil servant :mad:

Would be sorted now...lucky duckers

+1

You'd never be a millionaire, but theres a job security with it that you don't get in most private sector jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Was reading an article just there about the most common things said on a death bed - number one being "I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me."

Have you ever been held back, or not done something, because you were too afraid of what people might think? Do you have any regrets?

i'll probably regret not being able to come up with something more original on my death bed.... oh no, wait- i wont! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

I knew a guy once who, when under the influence of some chemicals, decided to strip naked and fight a cat to the death, mano a mano in a completely empty room. Man vs Beast if you will.

The cat scratched and bit the sh*t out of him, damaging one of his eyes and messing up his face. One of the cuts on his legs got infected with some nasty sh*t but he was too ashamed to go to the doctor about it. When he finally did, it was too late, and he had to have part of his leg amputated.

I'd say he'll probably regret that more than the dreams he never pursued or the songs he never sang.

He didn't even manage to hurt the cat that much, let alone kill it.

Advertisement