Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wives who have a secret bank account?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Does anyone here actually hand over their wages? Like most people (I think) I have a standing order every week that covers the basic expenses and bills for the house. We both have cards for our joint account and then our own separate accounts.

I don't think either of us would be comfortable losing our small level of financial independence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I don't understand this sentiment. There are many marriages that last a lifetime. Marriage breakup in Ireland is still at a relatively low level.
    And as a result many would never resort to doing something like keeping a secret bank account - we've already established that.

However even if there are many marriages that last a lifetime and divorce in Ireland is still at a relatively low level, it is not insignificant and that is why such measures are taken by both men and women.

Marriage is no longer what it used to be - a permanent bond, till death do you part. Divorces are no longer non-existent or marital breakup the rare exception to the rule. Even if still at a relatively low level, that level is creeping up, so while you may not break up this year or the next, you've got the rest of your life to do so and as things stand in Ireland the chances of a breakup already work out at about one-in-six; the same odds as losing in Russian Roulette.

This is not to say that marriage is defunct or that people should not get married or expect it to last for the rest of their lives (although it's clear that many shouldn't), only to point out that our society has changed, while the institution has not changed with it and naturally people are going to compensate for this - and I don't think that understanding this is OT.
    I would imagine in any case of divorce a full disclosure is required of all the assets of both parties. it is hard to hide bank accounts as a simple search by a solicitor will turn them up. At this stage it is next to impossible to open an account in Ireland in anything other than your real name so I cannot really see how feasuble it would be to be able to rely on a secret account once the SHTF.
    Why Ireland? There are no barriers to opening an account anywhere in the EU. Or set one up under a company name rather than your own (you don't even need to be a director, just a signatory on the account). All before you consider places like Switzerland, Luxenbourg or Lichtenstein where you can open one up easily if you know what you're doing.

Naturally, in many cases accounts can be traced in theory. I say in theory because while it may be easy to trace one in Ireland for a civil case if it is simply in your name, once you start putting even a tiny bit of distance between you and the account the costs of tracing it become prohibitively expensive for 99% of civil cases.

The tools for tracing hidden money in cases of crime, tax evasion and terrorism are draconian and easy to implement. Not so for civil cases.

Advertisement