Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pull up/Chin ups Challenge 2012?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

I'm hoping that a few weeks of training with CC gets me back into the challenge. Watch this space

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

farmchoice wrote: »
    Now what I'm wondering is how this happened, is it simply tequniqe, I practice them they don’t
    I'd say thats a lot to do with it. If I take up any new exercise my figures are pathetic, same if I give up and exercise and take it up again.

I think a lot of people join gyms and only use expensive equipment to feel they are getting their moneys worth, so are not going to do basic 'cheap' ancient exercises like chinups.

I remember being in a gym and 2 lads stopped their conversation and were nudging each other looking on when I started doing chins on a squat rack, it was knurled and meant for it but I was guessing they rarely saw people use it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I doubt technique has that much to do with it . Chins is a simple, uncomplicated movement, relatively speaking. Grab bar, pull it. I hadn't done any for years up to 12 or so months ago and I knocked out 7 right off. Yes, dead hang.

It's power to weight. Ripped or no, you're stronger on that movement than them. Credit where it's due.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

I have got a new love of pull ups and chin ups.

I used to do a good bit of chin ups in supersets with the bench years ago (8 chin ups for each set), but hadn't done them in ages. So when I found an outdoor gym recently along my running route, I started popping in maybe twice on a run (outgoing and return), I go about twice a week.

I was never able to get more than a few pull ups before, but managed 9 solid pull ups on my first go, so was over the moon with that and kept plugging away with more sets.

They really are great exercises. Give me time until I can add any extra weight like the rest of ye, but I could do with losing a bit more weight first, so should up the number of body weight pull/chin ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I doubt technique has that much to do with it .

Technique has a lot to do with it. Correting some one with poor technique will actually drop the number of chin ups they can do when they learn to do them correctly. The biggest mistakes you'll often see are people swinging their legs about to help do more chin ups and the next is not fully extending there arms and then not lifting high enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Technique has a lot to do with it. Correting some one with poor technique will actually drop the number of chin ups they can do when they learn to do them correctly.

So technique is not why the other guys could do less chins. Exactly my point.

Doesn't take very long to 'learn' full, dead hang ROM.

It's not a technical movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Where they a lot bigger than you. It's not uncommon to see a small guy able to do more chins than a guy who is stronger but bigger.

It could also be something as simple as the grip used. if they were overhand and you were under hand, you aren't doing comparable movements.

or maybe you're just better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

So technique is not why the other guys could do less chins. Exactly my point.

Who said anything was wrong with there technique. It could be the OP with the poor technique.

Anyway my post was explaining that technique does make a difference when it comes to doing chin ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Mellor wrote: »
    Where they a lot bigger than you. It's not uncommon to see a small guy able to do more chins than a guy who is stronger but bigger.

It could also be something as simple as the grip used. if they were overhand and you were under hand, you aren't doing comparable movements.

or maybe you're just better

We were all using the same grip, underhand chin up grip. some were heavier then me I'd say but not very much so, most around the same weight at least reletive to height.

Having read all the replies I have 2 thoughts on the matter.

1. I feel very good about myself!!

2. The comment about being warmed up more then usual. I tend to do chin ups as part of a warm up. They are often the first thing I do. On this occasion I had done an extensive warm up including a lot of dynamic stretches and core work, planks ECT. I think this had an impact on the high number (for me) that I managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

You could also have just been motivated to perform in competition/in front of an audience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Tried this for first time. Managed 15 dead hang pull ups at 80kg. Grip slightly wider than shoulder length apart.

Suppose I should aim for 20 then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I have gone from a max 5 to 9 chin ups, body weight in 3/4 weeks. (I don't know my own bodyweight at the moment)

Negatives have definitely helped me
    As did adding weight 5kg and 10kg

how is anyone else getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Only came across this thread tonight. Last tested 5 weeks ago 20 max chin ups and 12 pull ups @ 80kg BW. re-testing in few weeks so hoping to make improvements.

Any ideas for weighted chins/pulls for someone who has no dipping belt? I tried to hold the weight between my feet but too awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭JoeyDoh

15 chin Ups @91kg BW and 5 pull-ups with 20kg attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

I've done 35 wide grip before but don't have it on film, I touch my chin off the bar but I don't get my head over the bar, was about 92kg in this vid

I always get my chin over the bar and add in a small pause.
    Don't count it otherwise.

I'm hoping to do a muscle-up someday!

how are people getting on?

I'm up to 10 bodyweight chin ups (75kg), consistently.
    I get 6 with 10kg added.

any advice for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    how are people getting on?

I'm up to 10 bodyweight chin ups (75kg), consistently.
    I get 6 with 10kg added.

any advice for me.

dont stop. i was up to 15 tops and 10 consistently. then for one reason or another i more or less stopped doing them for about a month. i was doing plenty of other stuff just not chin ups.

i went back at it on saturday and really struggled to get 8.

Advertisement