Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Galway car mechanic needed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Most will charge about 45-50 just to read the code. The instruments they use often cost 1000s of Euros and they want those Euros back :D
    Maybe someone will do it for less, you can try ringing garages to get a quote.

The CEL light doesn't mean car is in immediate trouble but there is an issue that must be addressed, as soon as possible. CEL can mean a problem with one of several things, some more serious than others. Splash out on a code read, for peace of mind, even it means CEL was just on to indicate changing a sensor for 10 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

Looking for a decent and reasonable mechanic to do the front passenger side wishbone on my BMW 318 in the next week or so.

Anyone recommend me someone? Westside if possible (not essential though).

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

paraicr wrote: »
    Looking for a decent and reasonable mechanic to do the front passenger side wishbone on my BMW 318 in the next week or so.

Anyone recommend me someone? Westside if possible (not essential though).

Thanks in advance

Do yourself a favour and have both changed.

Also replace the oil-filled bushes with poly ones, the oil-filled ones don't last p1ss time (Have to do my 2 front ones soon)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 spiraleye

went to rescue u on the headford rd last week - very good , honest and wont charge you stupid prices. even went out of their way to get cheaper parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

Anyone know how much per hour labour Burbidge Motors (behind ulster bank in Liosban est.) charge?

How much would one expect to pay to have brakes cleaned in Galway?

• Advertisement

Brakes cleaned? Did you just replace something (pads/discs)? Do they squeal?

Not actually looking for a mechanic so was hoping not to have this thread merged because the looking for a mechanic thread isn't really appropriate.

Had them cleaned in Burbidge today so not looking for advice or recommendations for mechanics. Job is already done.

Am wondering what they normally charge specifically in Burbidge per hour and also what would be the approx. price for cleaning brakes as I found them to be rather expensive.

Thanks.

Yeah they were squealing when pressed. Apparently just needed a clean.

Cleaning brakes is sometimes done after replacing pads as grease or oil can get onto the discs.
    This isn't something usually done by itself.
    It mostly spraying brake cleaner on the disc, 1 min job per wheel.

Or it can be done occasionally if brakes have been sticking. Then it'd be 3-30 mins per stuck wheel, usually just one.

My guess, 20-50 euro.

I don't think they fleeced you bit if you can tell us more about the circumstances we can advise you better.

Edit, yeah for squealing it might help. Or sometimes they remove pads again and put more "anti-squealant" on them.

Just recently bought the car, noticed noise coming from brakes over last few days. Thinking it might be the brake pads brought her to Burbidge who quoted €60 to supply and fit brake pads if needed.

Left her there. Went back to collect her when done and was told she didn't need pads (passed nct in March) brakes just needed a clean. Charged €55.

As this seemed on the expensive side considering supply and fitting of pads would only have been €5 more, I enquired as to the price of labour per hour as I hadn't required any parts.

Was told they 'usually' charge €45 per hour. Not sure why it would vary. He didn't specify.

So I asked if they had spent over an hour cleaning the brakes as he had charged me €50 for labour plus VAT and he said yes.

So having not used Burbidge before, I'm wondering what other customers have been charged there and also, if €55 seems reasonable for the job.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

I had a new catalytic converter fitted last year to my crock of a Renault to pass the NCT.
    Problem now is that a hole of some sort has developed in the exhaust and the car sounds like a tank farting around.
    Does anyone know of a cheap but effective operator in town who could patch it up for me? Really not looking to spend too much on it.
    Any idea about price?
    Heard of someone (Fahy?) in Ballindooley - any good?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Ballybrit Exhaust Centre spring to mind.
    You can have a look through this general thread I merged your post with, it has many suggestions about mechanics and also about welding etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,243 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Looking for a mechanic to fix a few bits and pieces on a 96 Almera.

Any recommendations?

Kilduffs in nuns island I heard are decent, anyone been to them?

Galway service centre was a bit pricey when I was there before

Previous posts in this thread have recommended them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

I am learning to drive at the moment & have my eye on a nice used car.
    Does anyone know any mechanics that do inspections for people before buying? I can't afford to buy from a dealer & this car seems like it's good value for meny but I really have no idea! Help!

You could make an appointment with most garages and drive it straight there to have it checked.
    If the seller is legit that shouldn't be a problem. You may have to leave something as security when you take the car, like your ID or drivers licence (don't leave money).
    Do not trust anyone selling a car, for all you know they could sell a dodgy or even stolen car. Check the logbook for inconsistencies.

Ring AKAT Pitstop, Advance pitstop, Galway car service centre and other local garages and enquire.
    There may be a fee for this work, get a few quotes and check what they'll inspect, it could vary.

I did a similar thing for a car from a guy in Gort trying to sell me an old Volvo.
    Luckily - because I suspected it was a heap of **** and the garage confirmed it for me.

If something seems odd or wrong, just walk away. There's many cars out there and if you keep your wits about you it should work out fine.
    Read this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056198864

Last piece of advice, for the first car - buy something very cheap but wholesome.
    If it breaks down in 6 months or a year you shouldn't be too much out of pocket.
    Get something old you can practice fixing stuff on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Thanks Biko! Some good advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 whiskey32

Looking for reasonable mechanic, car won't start, probably alternator, at worst, not charging the battery. In Renmore so looking for someone nearby.
    Any thoughts on Billy Carr of Mervue?
    My landlord gave me james connolly's number, I'm not local so I could do with some local insight, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

There's one at Liosbaun Industrial Estate, Keenan's Autoelectric. <snip, google for number or PM>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Also one behind DPL on the Dublin Rd, don't know the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭kqcregg

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Also one behind DPL on the Dublin Rd, don't know the name.

Thats "Renmore Motors" behind DPL. Have used them the last few years and found them very good and reasonably priced. Contact details here http://www.renmoremotors.ie Tom Kelly is the owner.

No connection to them other than being a satisfied customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I use James Connolly to service my cars but Billy Carr lives in Mervue and is very honest. Billy is a small operator and nearby.
    Give Billy a ring and if he cannot sort you revert to James.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 whiskey32

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭spud65

billy carr has retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

When I saw the name 'Billy Carr' I thought he must be old by now... he was old when I was a baby :eek:

Sorry to hear he's retired, from what I remember he was a very genuine guy who knew what he was at

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Winston79

Does anyone know of an auto spark in Galway? The fob on our car isn't opening the car and the key is setting the alarm off when we use it! Would be handy if anyone knew of a mobile mechanic too as we cant move the car.

Initially check with your insurer, it might be covered under road assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

BTW I'd have to recommend Brendan Dowling, on St. Enda's Rd., Shantalla. He loves fixing older cars and doesn't mind if you turn up with your own parts. He's incredibly reasonable. Welded the underside of a 1997 Corsa together again for me for E200 (was quoted E1000) and did a head gasket on it for E400.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Can anyone recommend a decent garage to get an exhaust welded?

Try Brendan that ladhrann recommended. If he wont do it then you have Ballybrit Exhaust centre.
    Also Kilduff on Nun's Island is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

biko wrote: »
    Try Brendan that ladhrann recommended. If he wont do it then you have Ballybrit Exhaust centre.
    Also Kilduff on Nun's Island is good.

Cheers Biko. The exhaust on the car snapped in half and is hanging off the car between the two front tyres.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement