Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great news

• 26-11-2008 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'm Pregnant and delighted (just found on on Sunday night), but wow my head is spinning? where do i start?

any great books or things i should do now, I'm talking folic acid
    ?

We don't think we will tell anyone till we pass the three month mark.. but i'm just so happy... (i'm not sure it has hit me yet!)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Congrats!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Congratulations! Keeping it in til the 3 month mark will be tough, we did for outsiders, but we told family, that kept me sane! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭itsasecret

yea i'm not too sure about not telling people, but the husband seems to think its the way to go... (i guess he is worried if something went wrong everyone would be upset)..

Can anyone tell me what way does it work in regards to doctors? i don't actually have a doctor as such. We are planing to call in to one next week, but will he/she refer us to someone else for scans as such ?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

Congrats itsasecret!
    I am a little further down the road than you, will be 12 weeks on Saturday! The family know but no one else - dying to tell!
    I was clueless when I found out, no friends, colleagues, sisters anyone close having babies, but you pick it up quickly enough....
    I started taking Pregnacare multi-v's straight away, it has your recommended folic acid amount and everything else, i showed it to my doctor he said it was grand. Some people find it hard on the stomach but it was ok for me.
    I didn't have a doctor either I rang 5 local ones before someone was able to give me an appointment to suit, and he's grand.
    Have your questions written down before you go in, doesn't matter how silly you think they are. I didn't do this on my first confirmation visit and left puzzled, and the doctor didn't know how clueless i was and didnt explain the next steps to take. For example public v private care, didnt enter my head to enquire, by the time I did it was prob too late to go private (this is galway) - didnt matter to me as I dont have private insurance, but I would have been mad otherwise! So be sure and ask this when you go in, cos you will need to be on the ball.
    I got a couple of pregnancy books, but for me the best thing i got was a magazine called I'm Pregnant,(in Easons) very easy to read, good sense advice but no fear mongering, lots of cute pictures of babies to goo over :) Also a brill week by week development guide, its a new Sat morn tradition for me and OH to read out whats happening this week..Bit UK focused, as regards antenatal care, legalities etc but that gives you a start to find out the Irish equivalents. This site and Rollercoaster are brilliant resources as well.
    Its going to be hard to keep it in til 3 month mark, but now that we have nearly done it, I'm delighted. I know people do it in case something goes wrong and they dont want the world and his dog asking them in strange voices how they are feeling, but I found its given me a chance to really take it in. Personally it did take this long for me to become psychologically pregnant, if that makes any sense. and to be confident in myself and my choices so far, now i am better able to brush off unwanted advice, interference and everything. I don't know does that make any sense either.

Thats just a few things that I experienced itsasecret, maybe something there will be helpful,

Congrats again!

Thank you so much clouds, I was feeling very over whelmed (and excited yesterday).. .. i'm very much like you in that i don't have any friends with babies and my husband is sure he does not want to tell people yet. (he is as excited as me, but it is really early days and i think he is worried that if it went wrong it would be harder on everyone). He brought me to boards and we read some books (before going on line to order them cause they are cheaper!)

I also posted on weddings on line and got some helpful reply.

I have wanted a baby for so long .. i guess its a bit of a shock it happened so quick ... (a good shock not like the ones you get from shopping carts!!)

Any ideas what questions i should ask GP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LEH

Hi itsasecret, conrats first of all, a very exciting time for you! Theres a couple of websites that have great dedicated forums for pregnant mums. On most of them there are mums to be groups where you can chat and get advice from mums in exactly the same stage as you.

www.rollercoaster.ie
    www.eumom.com
    www.magicmum.com
    www.weddingsonline.ie - theres a big pregnancy board on their discussion page.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

Congrats, it's such an exciting time.

Each time I was pregnant we told everyone and didn't see the point in waiting.

I like a lot of women I know can often tell when someone is pregnant or have a very strong suspicion long before they tell anyone. They have a certain look that's difficult to describe.;)

Thanks for the web sites (i will have a nose once my co-worker stops looking over my shoulder!)

thats the funny thing, i think my mum knows.. or at least i think she guesses.. (then she was pregnant 6 times, so i guess she would know the signs!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

See, like I said a lot of women can suss when someone is pregnant lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Congrats its' a secret. The best thing to do would be to wait until 12 weeks but I waited all of 5 minutes. Sure as soon as I turned down a glass of red everyone knew and you can only hide out for so long. Luckily everything went okay so far :) Best of luck, it's an exciting time although at nearly 30weeks now I am getting bored and want this baby born! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

Congrats itsasecret :) hope everything goes well, i was the same as Grawns, was told it was best to wait the 12 weeks before i told anyone, but they all found out, by morning sickness in work two days later oh and turning down drink :eek::D

Best of luck

The more i think about it the more i think i will tell close family (if they have not guessed by then) on Christmas day. I would be 9 weeks, i know they say 12 weeks but i want to tell everyone now.. so lasting 9 weeks would be good for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

itsasecret wrote: »
    The more i think about it the more i think i will tell close family (if they have not guessed by then) on Christmas day. I would be 9 weeks, i know they say 12 weeks but i want to tell everyone now.. so lasting 9 weeks would be good for me..

Go for it, if you want to tell close family then its totally up to you and hey you waited 9weeks thats longer than i did :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

Congratulations itsasecret :D

That'll be such a great surprise on Christmas day!! We were going to wait until then, but it would have been four months and trying to keep it a secret and come up with excuses for not drinking etc was enough for three months!!

I'm a first timer and haven't got a clue, so I got a book called What to Expect when you're expecting....it's brilliant gives you so much info and it even has information on what happens after you've given birth. I haven't braved that part yet :D

One piece of advice that I would give you, stay away from forums and websites that are nothing but doom and gloom. Because I'd no one to ask about things, I found another forum and oh my god the stories were horrendous!! So I found this place and if I have something to ask, and it's not in my book, I'll annoy the folk here by asking it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I also loved the book " what to expect when you're expecting to" and have now bought and read the first few chapters of "what to expect, the first year". I also recommned "the best friends guide to pregnancy", a light hearted look at the emotional and physical hazards of pregancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Hey itsasecret, congratulations, you sound so excited. Its lovely!!
    If you go to the doctor he will probably tell you you are a further two weeks down the line more than you think you are. That always happened me. They go from the date of your last period. Once you are taking your folic acid there isnt much more you can do. Congrats again xx

Advertisement