Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold Cut Meats

• 14-11-2008 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

I've just read on the internet that apparently you're not supposed to eat cold cut meats whilst pregnant??? Has anyone else heard this or know what it means? Because I've been eating cold cut deli meats every day!!! :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭VeryBerry

I think the advice is to steer clear of things like meats on deli counters that may have been sitting out for a while, because there is a small risk of contamination and food poisoning. It's the same thinking that's behind the advice not to eat unpasteurised cheese, shell-fish, products that contain raw eggs (homemade mayonaise/colesaw etc).

My GP said its really only deli-meats that pose a risk (and its only a tiny one), and the pre-packed meats like Denny ham or whatever are ok.

There is also a suggestion that you shouldn't eat cured meats like salami, perperoni, chorizo, parma ham etc. Because again, the process of how they are cured may mean there is a small risk of contamination and food poisoning.

However, like all these things, its up to you to weigh up the risks and decide for yourself. Every so often I'll still have a ham and colesaw roll from a deli counter that I trust, or I'll have salami on my pizza. It's your decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

VeryBerry wrote: »
    I think the advice is to steer clear of things like meats on deli counters that may have been sitting out for a while, because there is a small risk of contamination and food poisoning. It's the same thinking that's behind the advice not to eat unpasteurised cheese, shell-fish, products that contain raw eggs (homemade mayonaise/colesaw etc).

My GP said its really only deli-meats that pose a risk (and its only a tiny one), and the pre-packed meats like Denny ham or whatever are ok.

There is also a suggestion that you shouldn't eat cured meats like salami, perperoni, chorizo, parma ham etc. Because again, the process of how they are cured may mean there is a small risk of contamination and food poisoning.

However, like all these things, its up to you to weigh up the risks and decide for yourself. Every so often I'll still have a ham and colesaw roll from a deli counter that I trust, or I'll have salami on my pizza. It's your decision.

Thank you for that Verry, I wish to god I knew these back in September!!

I haven't a clue what I should be eating now to be honest with you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Have a look at this publication by Safefood for more info http://www.safefoodonline.com/article.asp?article=2379
    Most places have ok food hygiene so I wouldn't worry too much about what you've already eaten.

Advertisement