Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

About Schmidt

Options
  • 17-02-2003 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone been yet?

I gotta say, Nicholson is bang on form in it. Understated (much like The Pledge in parts) at times, with just a hint of the aul Jack magic, the film really hits the spot.

Funny, sad, poignoint.

Feck it, go and see.

p.s. so far I've seen Caine and Jack for best actor...Jack wins hands down. I'll be seeing Gangs and The Pianist this week, so I should be in a good position to judge by then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Jack was fantastic in this movie alright, but I just cant see anybody beating Day-Lewis. He WAS the Butcher.

The movie itself was 'okay'. I did enjoy it, & was glad i went, but it didn't stir me in any real way, if ya know what I mean....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by therecklessone

p.s. so far I've seen Caine and Jack for best actor...Jack wins hands down. I'll be seeing Gangs and The Pianist this week, so I should be in a good position to judge by then.

You do know your not meant to disclose your views if you're an oscar judge right ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Very good film... I enjoyed it.... Nicholson was excellent as per usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

I saw in on Friday with the girlie, I loved it to be honest... I'm not sure why but I really did love this film. It cracked me up at times and at other times it made me just think... if you're looking for a good way to spend a couple of hours go and see About Schmidt.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

'Dear Ndugu'

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

Originally posted by kamobe
    Jack was fantastic in this movie alright, but I just cant see anybody beating Day-Lewis. He WAS the Butcher.

I dont know about that, I mean I loved Daniel Day Lewis as the butcher, however Adrien Brody could well surprise all come Oscar night! he was amazing in the pianist!

has this film been given a general release here or is it just in Dublin? Its definitely not in any of the Cork city cinemas anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Originally posted by anthonymcg
    'Dear Ndugu'

:)

Ha Ha classic. Love the movie especially Jack's voiceover which cracked me up throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

What a steaming piece of poo! The great Jack is wasted in this tedious rubbish. They should have called it 'About ... 90 minutes too long'.

What's more annoying is there was good elements to this film but they were never fully explored. For example the stuff where he was contemplating his mortality and wasted life are quite poiniant, but they were few and far between once he hit the road in his 35ft Adventurer.

The 'dear diary' stuff he wrote to Ndugu was grin-worthy but nothing more and act iii (aka 'meet the parents 2 1/2') was complete rubbish and sank the entire film for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭SloanerF1

Originally posted by therecklessone

p.s. so far I've seen Caine and Jack for best actor...Jack wins hands down. .

Caine could only win an Oscar for Being Michael Caine in Quiet American! Nicholson was brilliant - in fact his performance outdid the film as a whole!

Advertisement