Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hill of Down.....origin of the name

• 21-03-2015 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭

Quick question....Hill of Down, I would assume there is a hill in the area but there is nothing of note however I came across a photo recently and in the photo, there is a hill near the site of the old railway station - is this where the name came from? I'm assuming it was a quarry or something as it's gone now. http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000308248

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

That bridge, railway and post office are still there --- hasnt changed much either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

highdef wrote: »
    Quick question....Hill of Down, I would assume there is a hill in the area but there is nothing of note however I came across a photo recently and in the photo, there is a hill near the site of the old railway station - is this where the name came from? I'm assuming it was a quarry or something as it's gone now. http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000308248

Interesting photo. I assume the hill is actually the dún of the original name, Cnoc an Dúin, hill of the fort. The usually fantastic Placenames Database of Ireland website www.logainm.ie hasn't got much except from the Down Survey in 1655-56 'it has a good bridge known as the Hill of Down bridge', although interestingly the same survey seems to record the name "Molerick pronounced Moolerick" in the area. In modern spelling, the townland is Maolchnoic/Molerick according to Logainm, which is helpful information as we'll see. Maol = Bare/bald? The bare hill?

If you zoom in on this page it does look like a quarry of some sort that was there. The 2011 register of quarries in Meath records 5 quarries in "Hill of Down". Two of those quarries - Qy 124 & Qy 125 - were in Molerick, which we now know is the actual townland that Hill of Down is in, and to be precise where the aforesaid hill was. Finally, a google results in the pdf Section 261A Examination of Quarries (November 2011). It tells us that in 2011 Qy 124 was registered in the name of Frank Hevey, while Qy 125 was registered in the name of Louis Quirke/Midland Ctrs.

I surmise they were both limestone quarries as the bridge and canal nearby were built with limestone - and this Geological Survey of Ireland source from 1871 says about a quarry at Hill of Down that "wide trough-shaped excavations have been cut by denudation across the beds of limestone...' (p. 19)

Advertisement