Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

I think he's mountain lads arch nemesis. I am finding it slightly amusing though.

Ah makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

KevIRL wrote: »
    2-15 to 0-9 43minutes, no way back from that surely.

Pity, must be a very strong Tipp team, or did we just not turn up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

mouthinlad wrote: »
    game over, f#cking useless, might head off to beat the traffic lol

Not to be this year

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

the eastern players are bloody much, hopefully we can pull it out the bag in the second half
    Whats your problem woth the east man
    I think he's mountain lads arch nemesis. I am finding it slightly amusing though.

Lol

2-21 - 0-10 :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

disappointing......

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

2-25 to 0-12 FT

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    2-21 - 0-10 :(

A few of our lads were on the sauce in dgarvan sat nite. I know the leaving is just finished but a change of mindset is needed going forward.
    this was no bad waterford team, we went to clare and won and clare gave cork a good trouncing in the qualifiers so we shouldnt be this far off the pace

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

I think our days in the hurling sunshine are over, let hope our seniors can keep the scoreline some way respectable.

2-25 - 0-12 final score.

Big beating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

are the minors out of the championship now ?

Nah nah nah, I can safely say all the western players where tucked into bed by me personally after preparing a cup of horlicks for em... U probably heard dat was some of the city lads out drinking in waherford city

lol... a couple must have slipped under your radar unless otherwise my eyesight has deceived me!!

By the way youve sent Mountainlad into paranoia overdrive following your little little cameo on Matt Keane/Kevin Casey on wlr saturday!!!

are the minors out of the championship now ?

absolutely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

A few of our lads were on the sauce in dgarvan sat nite. I know the leaving is just finished but a change of mindset is needed going forward.
    this was no bad waterford team, we went to clare and won and clare gave cork a good trouncing in the qualifiers so we shouldnt be this far off the pace

I reckon there were Tipp lads out too, and rightly so, they only finish the Leaving Cert once. I'm not saying it's not important, but the Minor championship isn't that important. What's more important is that they continue to develop as hurlers as they get older. Plenty of good players there. I've seen McNulty, Dunford and Bennett first hand and plenty of people have mentioned the potential of a few others like Tadhg Burke.

It's not a rare occurrence for Minors to get caught like rabbits in the headlights. Happened last year in Croke Park too.

Doesn't bother me though as Jake Dillon, Ray Barry, Jamie Barron, Gavin O'Brien, Donie Breathnach and Colin Walsh who were all on that team last year have all been on the Senior/Intermediate panels at some stage this year. Good to see 7 players getting that kind of exposure just after Minor.

Think the u21s doing well is more important, and I hope they do.

I reckon there were Tipp lads out too, and rightly so, they only finish the Leaving Cert once. I'm not saying it's not important, but the Minor championship isn't that important. What's more important is that they continue to develop as hurlers as they get older. Plenty of good players there. I've seen McNulty, Dunford and Bennett first hand and plenty of people have mentioned the potential of a few others like Tadhg Burke.

It's not a rare occurrence for Minors to get caught like rabbits in the headlights. Happened last year in Croke Park too.

Doesn't bother me though as Jake Dillon, Ray Barry, Jamie Barron, Gavin O'Brien, Donie Breathnach and Colin Walsh who were all on that team last year have all been on the Senior/Intermediate panels at some stage this year. Good to see 7 players getting that kind of exposure just after Minor.

Think the u21s doing well is more important, and I hope they do.
    This kind of beating doesn't do morale any good, I'd say like me you are not far from the border there will be plenty of slagging leading up to the Munster Final now, how are we going to answer back after this beating, I'm beginning to feel we are getting left behind again as the three top counties are taking over again. What I saw of our under 21 players in the intermediate game against Clare wouldn't give me much confidence either. We have got to have a serious look at ourselves as we have shipped some big beatings at different grades in the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    This kind of beating doesn't do morale any good, I'd say like me you are not far from the border there will be plenty of slagging leading up to the Munster Final now, how are we going to answer back after this beating, I'm beginning to feel we are getting left behind again as the three top counties are taking over again. What I saw of our under 21 players in the intermediate game against Clare wouldn't give me much confidence either. We have got to have a serious look at ourselves as we have shipped some big beatings at different grades in the last few years.

Haha to be honest I'd expect to hear a lot more about last year's Munster Final than a Minor match. In fact, wouldn't be surprised if some of them didn't even know there was a Minor match on. Plus, they can do all the slagging pre match they want, most important thing is that I have bragging rights post match.

I don't agree. This is Tipp's first Munster Minor Final appearance since 2009, we've made the last three. Cork have not been in a Minor Final since 2008. There u21s haven't exactly been going great guns in recent times either. Even Kilkenny haven't been as imperious as they usually are at underage the last couple of years.

I reckon this game was just one of those days, and that will be evident in the Munster Final as that will be a much closer game and we did beat Clare in their own backyard, which this years u21 team did to Clare, Limerick and Tipp in 2009.

As for the intermediates, I thought the u21s actually looked better than some of the other intermediates. Ray Barry was brillinat, as was Madigan, Eamon Murphy was more lively that any of the rest of the forwards and Stephen O'Keeffe kept Tony Kelly fairly quiet which is no mean feat. I'd expect more from Brian O'Halloran but I think he;ll be better in a few weeks time. Jake Dillon won't be out at wing forward for the 21s and I think that may suit him better. Finan Murray did get one good score too.

Add Philip Mahony, Gavin O'Brien, SOK, Darragh Fives, Gavin O'Brien, Martin O'Neill, Jamie Barron and Paudie Prendergast to that and you have a fine team. All those players are current/future Senior county players and it looks pretty good when you add Paudie Mahony who's injured and players a few years older like Daniels and Maurice into the equation and you couldn't be negative about Waterford hurling's recent underage teams and the players that are coming from them.

mccarthy37 wrote: »

Now to be fair youre jumping the gun there. Today is a big setback theres no doubt about that. But the last 3 to 4 years weve been very competitive at minor and have been making great strides compared to where we were in the late 90s up to the mid naughties where we were well of the pace with the other Munster counties. We made the last 3 Munster minor finals in a row and although we didnt kick on and get to an AI final bottom line is we were there or thereabouts and were not being left behind.
    Lets be honest were a small enough county and dont have the pick of counties like Tipp so were not going to get it right every year. We are certainly a lot better than we showed tonight but we just have to learn from it, dust ourselves down and move on. We are still a county thats developing, the underage structures are in place and it takes time fot it to really bear fruit.
    The u21s are out against Clare in a couple weeks and that is a very important for the medium term. This team won a Munster 3 years ago and there have been many fine minors in the intervening years however we have got a very tough draw against Clare. We certainly cannot afford to let a repeat of what happened tonight occur,otherwise it will set us back a lot. But Im not buying into the pessimism over one defeat tonight, against what has to be said is a super Tipp team. there are plenty reasons to be positive about the future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Just back from Thurles a while ago, fcuking horrible evening. It was one of those games where absolutely nothing got going. I know it may look bad but I have no doubt those players aren't as bad as they looked this evening, they just froze up and played as if they had jelly legs and hurleys made out of rope. It was painful viewing watching them struggle so badly and I don't want to be too hard on the lads but we just got cleaned all over the pitch.
    Played with a 2 man FF line when Tipp started to dominate and every ball that went into Stephen Bennett resulted in him being double marked. Midfield and half forward lines were being roasted.
    To be fair, we did create about 2 or 3 good goal chances but the final ball was always played that bit too hard or handpassed to a wrong player when through on goal. If we got those it could have been a different story but Tipp were just able to literally walk through us. The amount of times a Tipp man made a mistake but had plenty of time and space to get the ball on the second or third attempt was criminal. Tipp players able to pop over points without any pressure, again criminal.

Am just so disappointed, I really had big hopes for this team with CnD winning the Harty and the quality of players in the squad. Unfortunately, the lads just didn't do themselves justice on the night and the worst pat is that they have no chance to show they're better than that. Hopefully they come back stronger.

Haha to be honest I'd expect to hear a lot more about last year's Munster Final than a Minor match. In fact, wouldn't be surprised if some of them didn't even know there was a Minor match on. Plus, they can do all the slagging pre match they want, most important thing is that I have bragging rights post match.

I don't agree. This is Tipp's first Munster Minor Final appearance since 2009, we've made the last three. Cork have not been in a Minor Final since 2008. There u21s haven't exactly been going great guns in recent times either. Even Kilkenny haven't been as imperious as they usually are at underage the last couple of years.

I reckon this game was just one of those days, and that will be evident in the Munster Final as that will be a much closer game and we did beat Clare in their own backyard, which this years u21 team did to Clare, Limerick and Tipp in 2009.

As for the intermediates, I thought the u21s actually looked better than some of the other intermediates. Ray Barry was brillinat, as was Madigan, Eamon Murphy was more lively that any of the rest of the forwards and Stephen O'Keeffe kept Tony Kelly fairly quiet which is no mean feat. I'd expect more from Brian O'Halloran but I think he;ll be better in a few weeks time. Jake Dillon won't be out at wing forward for the 21s and I think that may suit him better. Finan Murray did get one good score too.

Add Philip Mahony, Gavin O'Brien, SOK, Darragh Fives, Gavin O'Brien, Martin O'Neill, Jamie Barron and Paudie Prendergast to that and you have a fine team. All those players are current/future Senior county players and it looks pretty good when you add Paudie Mahony who's injured and players a few years older like Daniels and Maurice into the equation and you couldn't be negative about Waterford hurling's recent underage teams and the players that are coming from them.

Really looking forward to the u21's this year with all those names involved this is possibly our strongest U21 side ever, or since the 90's at least, so big things are expected, you would think that they could go all the way if they clicked. Unfortunately we are drawn away against a very strong Clare side who have been having success underage themselves in recent times so it should be an intriguing contest. But as we saw this evening, things can be unpredictable at underage and despite tonights' hammering I am very optimistic about the future and the young players that we have been producing over the past 4-5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

The similarity between your two usernames really is quite uncanny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Minors were ripped apart by Tipp. Totally outclassed and not helped by poor management tactics. Barry Bourke and Bennett only players that stood out. Concern that only 3 of starting 15 from Senior clubs. Surely between the 12 Senior clubs in the county there is at least 4 quality minors capable of starting. No disrespect to minors playing with Junior and inter clubs but any minor playing Senior Club surely developing and capable of playing at a much higher standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Jarjohn wrote: »
    Minors were ripped apart by Tipp. Totally outclassed and not helped by poor management tactics. Barry Bourke and Bennett only players that stood out. Concern that only 3 of starting 15 from Senior clubs. Surely between the 12 Senior clubs in the county there is at least 4 quality minors capable of starting. No disrespect to minors playing with Junior and inter clubs but any minor playing Senior Club surely developing and capable of playing at a much higher standard.
    as i stated months ago ,not much hope for minors with management team ,a couple of questions 1,how did they get the job when they never achieved anything of any worth ,doxer in charge of ferrybank for 3 years, think they won a game ,2, who appointed them ,3, how quick can we get rid ,

as i stated months ago ,not much hope for minors with management team ,a couple of questions 1,how did they get the job when they never achieved anything of any worth ,doxer in charge of ferrybank for 3 years, think they won a game ,2, who appointed them ,3, how quick can we get rid ,

When we got a similar beating last year from Dublin Chuck packed it in only after one year, makes you wonder why.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Jarjohn wrote: »

Richie Doyle for Kilkenny plays with a Junior club and is wing back for Kilkenny Seniors and centre back for the under 21s.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lar na pairc

To be fair to Chuck, he had his own personal reasons for leaving, bear in mind also the fact that he had been with that squad of players since 2006 as developement squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

Is there / why is there a division between east and west in Waterford? Where is the demarcation line? Is it a city v county thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Has anyone heard how the footballers are coming along for the game this Saturday? I presume Hurney will be available following his return to club action last weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Local_Chap wrote: »
    Richie Doyle for Kilkenny plays with a Junior club and is wing back for Kilkenny Seniors and centre back for the under 21s.....

Not my point. You will get odd exceptional player from lower graded clubs but my point is that only 3 players on minor team from senior clubs .....not that a player from lower graded club cant play for county. I know lads might say that that was the best 15 but it is a worry for future if alot of these lads remain playing inter and junior as there is a huge gap in standard between senior and inter/junior in county

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

most good players from Junior clubs will be playing Harty Cup / Fitzgibbon cup nowadays & will spend more time with these teams than their clubs at younger ages, I think this is important in their development that which clubs they are with.

Ballysaggart will almost certainly be Intermediate next year. Hard to see them getting beaten in jnr.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Was not at the game but would have to tend to agree with you. It is widely reported that members of the panel approached them before the game with Clare to get them to change their ways. When Minor Players do this, or feel the need to do it, it does tend to get questions running in your mind. I would also have issues as to the appointing of selectors. In the last four or five years, am i right in saying that we have had different selectors and coaches each year, but there might be one person who might be involved two years running at times. Look at Galway, the most successful minor team in the last good knows how many teams. They have kept Mattie Forde in charge for God knows how many teams and at this level it works as they are winning All-Ireland. I am around long enough to remember when at the start of each year Bord na nÓg picked there selectors for the year and if they were successful they were kept on while they showed interest in doing so. After a year or two they moved up along to the next team and when it came to picking the minor selectors, the Adult County Board picked them after consulting with the Bord na nÓg for their views. In recent years it appears to be the coaching committee that are calling all the shots. They pick people as is their right from those that have done coaching courses etc. Bord na nÓg seemed to pick them from those the officers saw attending games, helping their clubs in what ever way they could etc. To me there is too many underage committee's in the county, but thankfully its beginning to look like that is to change in the near future.

Mini rant over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement