Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesco Price Mistakes

Options
  • 31-01-2014 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know Tescos current policy on price mistakes? do they still do the double the difference on price mistakes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes should be double the difference as long as you were charged and paid a higher price than the price displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Be advised its at the managers discretion also. Factors like moved SEL labels will be looked at.

Best of luck with it. I got double the difference on a slab of beer last month over an expired label. No problems

• Registered Users Posts: 85,016 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I have had bad experiences lately in a few Tesco stores with prices on shelf not matching prices at checkout and was never offered double difference or even an apology from the staff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

you have to pay for it and then go to the customer service desk for double the difference.

if your tell them at the till and you are right they will just change the price

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't think the policy applies to mistakes on price per unit/kilo/ml signs on the SEL. If anybody finds a tesco which does refund on these let me know, they are very frequently wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You might get double the difference all the affected items, or on just the first. So said a manager to me anyway. In that case I got double the difference on items that were marked half price.

You have to have bought it of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

How would this mistake work?
    Tesco are clearly overcharging here by 50c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

I'd imagine that the manager would honour the .50 and double the refund to 1.00. They would then remove the 5.50 point of sale or cover it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

boardzz wrote: »
    How would this mistake work?
    Tesco are clearly overcharging here by 50c

How are they clearly overcharging? that is the RRP which they are under no obligation to follow once they have posted their price, which they have :)

When the RRP is advertised then they have to sell it at that price.

• Advertisement

When the RRP is advertised then they have to sell it at that price.

I have never heard that before, I have seen it questioned numerous times and the replies were always saying they don't have to. In convenience stores it is very common to see them charging more, on say packs of ham.

They are idiots for leaving it up, and its fairly bad form for a supermarket to be charging more than a RRP displayed price, I don't think that's in question.

Quick quote from an article regarding companies which advertise the RRP:
    The price isn’t right for a number of retailers who have expressed frustration at the increasing number of products in price-flashed packs arriving in their stores.

Independent shop owners have said such packs effectively remove their ability to set their own prices, because under consumer law, consumers are entitled to pay the lower price advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There is no legal obligation to sell at the RRP. It's bad form not to honour it, as the manufacturer will typically have subsidised the cost. But they don't have to honour it.

There is no obligation to sell at RRP. When the product is advertised at RRP then there is an obligation to sell at that price.

When the product is advertised at RRP then there is an obligation to sell at that price.
    I don't think they are ever obliged to sell at an advertised price, otherwise you would have lads sticking €1 labels on cars in dealerships. In your photo it is clearly advertised as €6.

I can't find anything that agrees with your previous quote
    because under consumer law, consumers are entitled to pay the lower price advertised.

Can only find this

Consumer Protection Act 2007

Guidelines for the Retail Sector

on

Price Promotions & Related Matters

September 2009

15. Pre-printed prices / Flashed prices

The Agency expects that all reductions stated on the manufacturer’s packaging (for example “flash prices” such as “10c off RRP”) be passed on to consumers.
    The word "expects" infers its just a recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There is no obligation to sell at RRP. When the product is advertised at RRP then there is an obligation to sell at that price.

I don't t know what more to say to that other than - wrong.

Consumer Protection Act 2007. 56. (c)
    prohibit the supply of the products to consumers at any
    price greater than the price or charge so displayed.

Consumer Protection Act 2007. 56. (c)

It is pretty clear from the photo that the price tesco intend to sell for is €6. Otherwise young lads would just scrawl €1 on bottles of vodka with a pen.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/pricing/pricing_of_goods_and_services.html
    If a retailer makes a mistake and the actual price for the item is more than that displayed the retailers have certain rights. They do not automatically have to sell you the goods at the price stated. It is the retailer's responsibility to correct the mistake as soon as possible. If the retailer knowingly charges more for a product than is displayed an offence may be committed. Generally, if you are told the correct price before you pay, you have no right to redress. If you notice the error after you have paid, you should bring the matter to the retailer's attention who, most likely, would refund you the difference. You could also report the matter to the National Consumer Agency. The office will investigate the complaint with the objective of ensuring future compliance with the Act. This however does not mean financial redress for the individual complainant.

You could try reporting this and see what they say. It is VERY common practice. If there was no tesco sign up it would be a more worthwhile complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I thought they had discontinued that policy completely, was a time that if you were overcharged at the till compared to the marked price, then that item was free. That became expensive for them, with everyone carrying phones & internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just to quote the entire portion of the legislation as it all has to be read in context
    57.— (1) If the Minister considers it to be in the interest of consumers, the Minister may make regulations requiring traders who supply a product, or a class or type of product, to display the price or charge to consumers of or for those products in any manner or form specified in the regulations.
    (2) Without limiting subsection (1), a regulation under this section may—
    (a) require prices or charges, or any combination of prices and charges, to be
    displayed in a single amount and inclusive of any charges, fees or taxes
    payable,
    (b) require the price or charge display, or combined price and charge display,
    to state the range of prices or charges for the products, and
    (c) prohibit the supply of the products to consumers at any price greater than the price or charge so displayed.

• Advertisement

2 stroke wrote: »
    I thought they had discontinued that policy completely
    Double the difference is still there, I spot many mistakes but do not bother collecting double the difference, not worth my while queuing up for a few cent. They are using the public as cheap labour, doing the job they should do themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

It's double the difference, but isn't there a limit? (€10?)

I remember when it was marked wrong, you got the item for free.
    We got two things free because of this before. One being €36. :D

I got €1 from them and they are gonna fix this in all stores.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

PeteK* wrote: »
    It's double the difference, but isn't there a limit? (€10?)

I remember when it was marked wrong, you got the item for free.
    We got two things free because of this before. One being €36. :D

I got ~16 back recently enough, was expecting them to use the discretionary nature to not do it but was pleasantly surprised. Non-dated yet still expired offer SEL.

Advertisement