Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Mint Office- Just when you thought you were safe-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I just noticed a Point of sale transaction from these guys on my account today of 43.90e a month after I paid the 3.95 p&p for the free coin. I ordered nothing else and received nothing.

Sent emails tried to call them and nothing beware.

I am sending a charge back request to the bank, hopefully I can get my money back this way. In the mean time I'm cancelling my card so they can't process anymore payments.

It's some business model they have. Surprised any bank does business with them given how many complaints they must generate.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

I wonder how many more people they have ripped off a few quid here and there and hope no one notices it gone from their account or checks.

Jokers

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Puptoes

Avoid these Crooks! I purchased the set of commemorative Easter rising coins on 5th May this year costing €359.70 from The Dublin Mint Office (was told i would have them within a week). Did I receive any coins? You bet i didn't. Received a call from them (All British accents) about 4 weeks after the purchase asking had I received them. I know now this is one of their tactics they use. When nothing arrived I rang them, (with some difficulty trying to get through) to be told they had not been sent out because they were waiting on certificates.
    Two months passed and I rang them for a refund to be told that the refund would be processed and I would have it within 10 working days. Still nothing, I rang again and got the same waffle from the same Scottish guy but this time he had a different name. I then resorted to emailing them as to ring was futile.
    By this stage I realised I had been scammed and contacted visa which I used to make the purchase. In the mean time someone with an English accent rang me with a withheld number to assure me the coins had been dispatched the other day and I would have to wait till they arrived, then send them back and they would issue a refund. She then said she would post out a return label to put on the coins and bring to the post offfice, that arrived, but still no coins. After 2 weeks and more emails I then received an email from DMO to say that there had been a delay sending the coins out as they were waiting for another order to come in and that should have been explained to me. That was the last correspondence I had with them, obviously running out of excuses and had hoped I would have given up at this stage.
    To cut a long story short visa refunded me on the 6th of September. I cannot believe I got taken in by this shower but hugh lesson learned. I honestly believed DMO was the actual central bank. The coins or medals they send out are cheap worhless pieces of junk. Let the buyer beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

All
    This company has no official status. The Central Bank have had to inform them they were not to market their Irish products as Irish coins – further informing them the CBI is the only body that can issue coins in the Republic of Ireland. They must call them medals. But they are commerial products with little known about their make up or production runs.

There are very little precious metals in them, so where is the value? Oh Limited Edition? But there is no independent audit trail on how many are made and the certs of authenticity are easily printed - so nothing special there either.

As Grandpa in Pawn Stars often says "Nothing thats made to be collectable or advertised as collectable is going appreciate in value or be collectable". The original buyer is paying over the odds at the point of sale. The adjectives used are marketing bull to make the products attractive / desirable etc.

This company does everything it can to make it sound more official and local than it is. It has tried to use the harp of the State in its logo without permission and had to be told to stop. It has no office or staff in Ireland, and operates from a PO Box. While there is nothing wrong with having a PO Box address, trying pass itself off as Irish when it's not is questionable practice.

It's all smoke mirrors and excuses with The Dublin Mint Company and its other sister companies operating on similar lines in other EU Counries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 James Mac

Complete con artists. Ordered €77:80 of goods in May, last item arrived last week, they've charge me €200+, never answer calls, return voice messages or emails and they are not residing in the address they give in Blanchardstown. The presentation boxes etc very disappointing. Sorry I fell for their scam!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged into already existing thread

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

James Mac wrote: »
    Complete con artists. Ordered €77:80 of goods in May, last item arrived last week, they've charge me €200+, never answer calls, return voice messages or emails and they are not residing in the address they give in Blanchardstown. The presentation boxes etc very disappointing. Sorry I fell for their scam!

Did you pay by credit card? You can ask the CC company to do a chargeback if the DMO charged you more than you agreed to pay or if they did not deliver goods for which they charged your CC.

However it's possible that their tactic of drawing out the deliveries over several months may have been done to frustrate the chargeback option because there is a time limit which may by now have passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

My mam was interested in the free medal or coin that was advertised earlier in the year. Being patronic with family abroad she probably would have liked this to send on to them. Anyways she got me to check up online on the Dublin mint office. I ordered the coin. Thank God I did not give my payment details. I picked the option of receive coin and pay after receiving. So that was earlier in the year around about March or April.

After ordering it said something about delivery within 28 days or something due to a shortage. Just after checking my email. That was March.

Coin never came. Mam asked about it around May. I then read up about the Dublin mint office here on boards and discovered it was a scam. I told my mam what I read online and said if it ever gets delivered I'll be sending it back and won't be paying for anything and mam agreed with me too.

Anyways coin never came.

I received an email towards the end of May saying : you recently received the Padraig lease medal. Can you please review your experience or something like that. No coin or medal came for though. After reading up about the Dublin mint office online, I just ignored the email.

I got a few more emails during the summer from them with vouchers or something and money off deals with their medals. All ignored.

Today I received another email saying that I have an outstanding balance with them owing 8.90.

So what way do I proceed now?

First of all I won't be paying anything to this shower. Ideally I don't want to make any contact with them at all. My instinct would be to continue to ignore. But then will this cause trouble later on down the line? Will they add interest to that sum and start threatening me with a debt collector?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Today I received another email saying that I have an outstanding balance with them owing 8.90.

So what way do I proceed now?

First of all I won't be paying anything to this shower. Ideally I don't want to make any contact with them at all. My instinct would be to continue to ignore. But then will this cause trouble later on down the line? Will they add interest to that sum and start threatening me with a debt collector?

Ignore, ignore, ignore. It would cost them too much to even engage a debt collector for that amount.

• Advertisement

James Mac wrote: »

Sorry to hear that. Under distance selling rules you should have been informed of your right to return the goods. The item that arrived last week could be returned.

They leave nothing but a trail of disappointed customers in their wake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

Paulw wrote: »
    Ignore, ignore, ignore. It would cost them too much to even engage a debt collector for that amount.

I know a debt collector would be too much for that little sum and it wouldn't be worth their while.

I'd be afraid that interest would be applied to that little sum and that keeps rolling over every month and after time they start demanding for more and more money.

I know it's early days here with this. I very much intend on ignoring this. There's something in the back of my mind thinking should I send a letter nipping this in the bud perhaps citing some laws or whatever or even getting making an appointment with my solicitor and getting them to write up a letter. I know a solicitor would cost me a bit but if it stops what I see as harassment now it will be worth it.

Inform them succintly that you never received the item and therefore no money is owed to them. Send this by registered letter, keeping a copy for yourself.

The onus should be on them to prove that you received the coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭G3467

Supervalu have added a number of new brands to their Real Rewards scheme. One of the brands is The Dublin Mint Office (15 points per purchase). What were they thinking? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ Christian Curved Cook

Contact page for supervalu rewards here. Suggest you send them an email and provide links to the various thread on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭farrelli

Hi all,

I am just after some advice/opinions please? I purchased the Michael Collins 80th Anniversary Medal they advertised recently this year. The cost was just for the postage @ €3.95. So I hadn't heard from them in over two weeks, and then I saw all the bad press they received HERE on boards and other forums for their less then desirable behaviour and sales tactics.

So I requested that they cancel my order via email as no money has been transferred as of yet.

My question is: what is the best way to approach this? Obviously the sum I have authorised for the medal is small but I would just rather not deal with what others have if I can avoid it.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Assuming you have not received it, then you have 14 days from delivey to return and cancel in its entirety.

Email can sometimes get "lost", so email them again and ask for a response. You can also call them

This from their FAQ section - love the line "As many of our goods are valuable and limited editions" trying to re-inforce their bull sales pitch.

Nothing wrong with the products themselves, but the descriptions use very flowery language "layered with gold" - aka gold plate and at every turn they try to sign you up to a "collection". So nothing inherently wrong, just high pressure sales tactics for overpriced items.

From their website...

What if I have a question about my order?
    Please contact our Customer Care Team via email (customercare@dublinnmintoffice.org) or by calling 1800 937 321.

I’m outside of ROI, can I still place an order?
    Unfortunately, the Dublin Mint Office cannot fulfil orders to addresses outside of ROI.

How do I return an order?
    Yes. If you are within the 14 days from receipt of goods, you can return your order to us using our easy returns process. Simply call 1800 937 321 and request a pre-paid returns label. As many of our goods are valuable and limited editions, we do request that you obtain proof of posting for any goods you are returning to us. In the unlikely event that your goods get lost in the post, we will request the proof of posting and it is the only way that we will be able to refund you. Please see our terms and conditions for more information.

Merged into already existing thread

dudara

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the products themselves, but the descriptions use very flowery language "layered with gold" - aka gold plate and at every turn they try to sign you up to a "collection". So nothing inherently wrong, just high pressure sales tactics for overpriced items.

+1 And you need to watch the weight and size of some of their offerings, they sometimes offer gold or silver 'coins' and 'medals' that are the size of shirt buttons.

If the description mentions a precious metal and there's no weight quoted, you can be pretty certain that you will need a magnifying glass to read the inscription.

Thanks for the replies and for merging my post, I wasn't sure if I should revive the old thread.

When I emailed the DMO I asked for a reply once my order had been cancelled but your right I will give them a call just to be sure.
    CeilingFly wrote: »
    This from their FAQ section - love the line "As many of our goods are valuable and limited editions" trying to re-inforce their bull sales pitch.

Yes, their sales tactics are strong and they really try to reel you in for more and more. I should have known! I actually thought they were on the same lines as the coins from the central bank but have read HERE that they are nothing of the sort.

I will give them a call if I don't hear back from them by tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I'd be very surprised if you got an answer on the phone. I was in the same position last year and having sent an email and many unanswered phone calls, someone from the company rang me back about a day later asking why i wanted to cancel.

I'd be very surprised if you got an answer on the phone. I was in the same position last year and having sent an email and many unanswered phone calls, someone from the company rang me back about a day later asking why i wanted to cancel.

I don't expect to hear back from them based on what I have read, I'll just wait and see what happens and if I receive anything I will just try and send it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gavoli

hi all,

does anyone know or could they find out who supplies the coins and medals for the Dublin mint office.

If I knew of their suppliers maybe I would buy direct from them or another legitimate source.

pls respond asap

thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're made for them rather than bought in randomly so you aren't going to be able to buy them. You can't go to the factory that makes Apple phones for them and buy direct, for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gavoli

ok cheers thanks for that

Is there any other source that sells the coins / medals or is it just the Dublin mint office that sells them.

I thought that there would be at least another company somewhere maybe in another country or something.

I'm not sure but i thought i heard they were made in Switzerland

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JigglyMcJabs

gavoli wrote: »

Is there any other source that sells the coins / medals or is it just the Dublin mint office that sells them.

I thought that there would be at least another company somewhere maybe in another country or something.

thanks again

Why on earth would you want them????

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anyone else selling them will be another division of the same company with the same business practices.

They are valueless tat - and they do not increase in value.

If I knew of their suppliers maybe I would buy direct from them or another legitimate source.

'Legitimate' source :confused:

Have you been reading this thread? It's not just about the shady business practices of this company, it's also about the utter crap they sell.

There is simply no market for this stuff, beyond the mugs who fall for the flowery language and exaggerated 'heritage' and 'heirloom' sales pitch. Buying any of it sees your money going straight down the drain so stop fooling yourself that it's worth buying this type of rubbish from an alternative supplier.

thanks again

Is this for real?

They have no value! All marketing whizzery and spoofery.

As the Old Man in Pawn Stars says "anything made to be collectable will never be worth anything/appreciate in value"

If they were made in heaven, and came with promises of being blessed by God or giving ever lasting youth for €1, I still would not buy them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

To be fair to gavoli, they probably thought the coins themselves looked cool and wanted them for that reason, they just didn't give want to give any money to the DMO for them, for obvious reasons. Nothing wrong with asking

Advertisement