Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

I'd probably need to wear if for a while to see how the finish lasts. I can't fault it though.
    The case is quite thick but not out of proportion with the size of the watch, consequently it's a decent weight. I've a newish 100m diver Seiko automatic on a rubber strap and it's about the same weight as it, maybe a tad heavier. The weight flopping around inside it more audible than the Seiko!
    The strap on the one in your picture looks a bit nicer, go for it, you wont regret it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr Boom Boom

Took plunge went for this !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr Boom Boom

View from different angle. Quite happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FanMahBrow

Nowhere near as good as some of the excellent watches just displayed, but it's actually not bad in a not-quite-understated sort of way, and has lovely big obvious hands!

Watch1.jpg

The black leather strap is quite decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I just couldn't love the cheap looking brown strap on my Sturmanskie ...so I replaced it with something even cheaper :D

An old Vostok strap from the depths of my "miscellaneous" drawer has now taken up residence. And as the only thing I didn't like about that one was its really nasty buckle, the Sturmanskie buckle was allowed to remain in place.

I love the result ...IMO the slightly rancid look of ye olde strappe goes really well with the old-look design of the watch

(and I don't care if you disagree :D)

attachment.php?attachmentid=783810&d=1391865358
    attachment.php?attachmentid=783812&d=1391865395
    attachment.php?attachmentid=783814&d=1391865419
    attachment.php?attachmentid=783823&d=1391865561
    attachment.php?attachmentid=783822&d=1391865561
    attachment.php?attachmentid=783821&d=1391865561
    attachment.php?attachmentid=783820&d=1391865561

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

I was watching Mad Men, and noticed the main character, Don Draper, had quite an eye catching watch, I looked it up and it was a 1960's Seamaster DeVille with a black face. I remembered that there was an old and very scratched Seamaster DeVille upstairs in the house, on a rotting strap, that belonged to my grandfather originally.

So I took it into work with me, and polished the scratches off the glass using diamond suspension polish that I use for preparing carbon fibre, bought a new strap, and I must say it's looking an awful lot better now!

DSC_0088_zpsb2afdf81.jpg

DSC_0090_zpse82d0e7d.jpg

DSC_0093_zps0f113d87.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

That's really nice. I read somewhere that Don's black dialed Seamaster DeVille had been redialled. The price of the black dialed ones have sky rocketed since mm aired and most of the ones on fleabay etc are white dialed ones that have been redialled black. AFAIK origional black dialed ones are very rare. Anyway, lovely watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

I have a 60's Omega - white dial. The dial is in excellent condition. (I've posted pics here before.) any other white dial owners out there? Maybe we could get a few white dials on TV to boost the value a bit? :D

Watch before I got it cleaned up.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78309402

I'd like to get a nice strap (Hirsch?) with an Omega buckle. I'd also look to get an original Omega crown - the old one was replaced years ago.

Sigh - some day!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Absofeckilutely gorgeous Omega Landoflemon and a family watch too. That shít you can never buy, no matter how rich you are. Kudos for your inventive and successful restoration(ehh I have a couple of watches and you may get a PM... :D). More you're bringing something that well effin cool back to life ready for wear again :) Mad Men notwithstanding I prefer the pale dial myself and when Mad men is as distant a memory as Cheers or MASH, the pale dial will still keep on trucking. In fact may end up being rarer, because so many will have refinished the dial in black. Well wear that watch sir as your grandfather wore it before you and it has the sort of quality that means your descendants will still be able to mark their events by it. That's what's so cool about quality watches(not even expensive just quality and I'd throw G-shocks and Suuntos in that category BTW).

Speaking of family watches. This watch featured in the fourth post on this very thread back in the day, but now as things go the external link is a questionmark so this time I'll host it on Boards, no dead links here. I had done up a set of pics for another watch forum out there on the interwebs so...

292957.JPG

My early 1930's Zenith "extraspecial" Pilots watch with centre secondhand. Longines have recently released their homage to their version. I stuck mine in the middle of a Luftwaffe pilots wrist compass and as I had been wittering on/boring the locals about this particular aeroplane on the history forum hereabouts, a model Stuka I made as a kid, sitting on a tailwheel from a Stuka*. A pattern seems to be emerging here. In fairness I left out the cockpit instruments and bits of fuselage from same, so I'm kinda holding back on my madness. I grant you the NATO strap is far less vintage, but I like them godammit!! :mad::D

*or a FW 190, or some models of Me 109's. Practical bunch our German mates, tighter than a Cavanman on holiday in Scotland, so had lots of common parts. The damn thing, though it has had some active take off and landing wear, still takes air in the tyre without leaking. *goes off to find German tyres for my car and judging by that, secondhand won't really be an issue...*

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭OldRio

I was watching Mad Men, and noticed the main character, Don Draper, had quite an eye catching watch, I looked it up and it was a 1960's Seamaster DeVille with a black face. I remembered that there was an old and very scratched Seamaster DeVille upstairs in the house, on a rotting strap, that belonged to my grandfather originally.

So I took it into work with me, and polished the scratches off the glass using diamond suspension polish that I use for preparing carbon fibre, bought a new strap, and I must say it's looking an awful lot better now!

*snip* NO QUOTING PHOTOS.
    Sorry

Understated and pure class. Lovely.
    Now I must go and check those boxes in the attic.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Wibbs wrote: »
    Absofeckilutely gorgeous Omega Landoflemon and a family watch too. That shít you can never buy, no matter how rich you are.

Holy Moley....

Deep Breaths Wibbs.....through the nose and out through the mouth....

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Saw this on the internerd yesterday & really liked it, so I dropped into the Tag Boutique last night to have a look. I love this watch... Its €2560, feels great on & has a really simple, clear, great looking face. I also love the operation of the timer, although its a wee bit lose to turn.

293114.jpg

http://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuer-carrera-drive-timer-calibre-5-first-look/

293113.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Finally got the bracelet off my Hamilton and put it on this strap. I think it's an improvement over the bracelet, but I'm still not sure if the watch is for me.

12435104333_35b6b7d091.jpg12434932165_c45b9deb02.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Orlaw3136

Eoin wrote: »
    Finally got the bracelet off my Hamilton and put it on this strap. I think it's an improvement over the bracelet, but I'm still not sure if the watch is for me.

It looks good with brown leather - if I could make so bold, I would suggest that such a strap but with curved ends would look very well with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thanks Orlaw3136 - you mean at the lug end so it fits around the face better? It's is a bit squashed looking at the moment.

Thanks Orlaw3136 - you mean at the lug end so it fits around the face better? It's is a bit squashed looking at the moment.

That's it exactly - you see Speedys on such straps a lot and I think they look great. Something like this perhaps (comes in 18, 20 and 22 mm) :-

http://www.hirschstraps.com/products/hirsch-medici-leather-watch-strap-brown

Thanks a mil, I'll definitely give something like that a go. I think I'll be flipping it soon enough though; I should have known better than to go for another impulse buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭burnhardlanger

Group shot.
    293251.jpg

Thanks a mil, I'll definitely give something like that a go. I think I'll be flipping it soon enough though; I should have known better than to go for another impulse buy.

Ah yes, the impulse buy. I have found that they're all that stand between us and the watch that we really want :pac:

Cutting them out allowed me to get together the five 'good' watches that I now currently hold as keepers together with one or two 'movables'. At one stage I had about 15 'affordable' (!) watches none of which were truly what I wanted.

I'm done with big purchases now and I rotate the couple of others whenever the mood takes me, the rule being that I might buy another affordable after I've closed the sale of the incumbent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

nothing whatsoever wrong with impulse buying :D

785429d1392053574t-vostok-laesst-die-alten-militaer-modelle-wieder-aufleben-dsc_0131-large-.jpg
    785426d1392053436t-vostok-laesst-die-alten-militaer-modelle-wieder-aufleben-dsc_0137-large-.jpg
    785427d1392053436t-vostok-laesst-die-alten-militaer-modelle-wieder-aufleben-dsc_0132-large-.jpg
    785425d1392053436t-vostok-laesst-die-alten-militaer-modelle-wieder-aufleben-dsc_0133-large-.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

Two recent additions..

Breitling emergent currently on Breitling rubber strap but adding some 22mm leather straps to it shortly..

12503125495_40f42faa57_c.jpg

12503260953_2c27862891_c.jpg

12503116635_81b08414f1_c.jpg

12503228183_f60b40f632_c.jpg

12503109065_15a6472349_c.jpg

and a Seiko Spork

12503248323_0089ae83dc_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

First dibs on the Spork if you flip it ;)

Homer wrote: »
    Breitling emergent currently on Breitling rubber strap but adding some 22mm leather straps to it shortly..

As I said on TZ-UK recently enough; when I see a Breitling Emergency, all I can think of is Father Dougal and the big red button he wasn't supposed to press. There's no way I could wear one of them out if I was drinking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

love the strap on the breitling - i'd love to get a black rubber strap for my Steinhard O1 GMT

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

MiCr0 wrote: »
    love the strap on the breitling - i'd love to get a black rubber strap for my Steinhard O1 GMT
    I love the look of them M, but I always found them uncomfortable in use for some reason.

In the spirit of our thread... Tonight I'm rocking it very old school and if you will excuse the incredibly crappy quality of the phone pic. :o
    294093.jpg
    Great war 1916 fixed lugged half hunter(flip top lid) wristlet in silver, with black enamel numerals on the external case and fancy monogram on the screwdown caseback, 35 mm across minus winder and lugs. Pretty good quality 15 jewel movement, sold by London shop Mappins way back in the day. Well cool(IMHO) in that steampunk way and in lovely condition considering it's near a century old and had been through quite a lot in its early years. Needs a service though. Losing a minute a day. I'll get around to it I swear. :o

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

That is a fantastic design wibbs....just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Wibbs -Have you an idea what that watch is worth?

It depends on a few things S. Condition and maker. The half hunter early wristwatches/trench watches/wristlets are the rarer of the breed anyway. Even crappy non running ones in small sizes(IE 30mm, which is a ladies watch of the time, if it has coloured enamel then that's defo for the women's market.) can go for a couple of hundred quid on ebay. Rarely a good bet as finding parts is gonna be a nightmare, so unless you have a donor or spares and a friendly watchmaker then best avoided.

If you want to take the risk? Here's one on ebay at 99 pence. Bear in mind the hands are wrong, the enamel dial is bollexed, it's missing it's glass cover/bezel and it doesn't run.

Here's another example. Again problems like the wrong hands, the movement looks well tampered with and the wrong crown.

A working, in good condition with a name like Rolex*/Longines/IWC**/Omega/Zenith one then a thousand plus, usually more. One like mine? Good condition with a good movement, I'd say 5-600 euros. If you can find one. I'm an ebay slut so I got this example a few years ago for 150 quid all in, so you might get lucky, but I will admit that over the years I've gotten lucky, much of my now expertise was down to bad luck. :o:o;):)

I got VERY lucky with this particular watch. It even had it's original strap :eek::eek: Here it is with the strap, after a few days soaking in moisturiser(no really. Well it was once skin...)
    198043.JPG

And here it is with the flip top lid/half hunter open
    198044.JPG

As usual I've gone long winded. Sorry about that S. I've always been really interested in the very early days of the wristwatch(a remarkably short history too, 1900, but really 1910 onwards) and have collected a few of that type through the years. I love to know they're still being worn a 100 years later.

Basically I don't want you or anyone else reading to get a crappy one. IMHO they're still woefully undervalued given they're the ground zero of what we think of the wristwatch today. Still there is a lot of shíte available, often at silly money. Many watches with the wrong hands, crown etc. Not surprising given they're nearly a century old. Even so, if you bide your time you can still find clean, working, well preserved examples of the early history of the wristwatch for a couple of hundred quid. I picked up a very early 1912 Longines for the price of a mid range Casio only two years ago(180 quid).

TL;DR? Bloody understandable too... :o:o:o Figure 300 quid for a good un. Look for condition and originality in all parts. That is everything. If you like S, I can keep an eye out for you and PM you an ebay link? That way I can live vicariously through you :)

* the joke is. back then outside of the odd prima movements Rolex stuff was pure shíte. Very low grade. They only got quality consistently in the 20/30's

** rarely enough supplied full watches, more a movement vendor, contrary to what their current official PR history would suggest. Nice movements though in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Well after some deliberation and discussions with Wibbs, I decided to get me a real antique Flieger

Wibbs was a gift , his knowledge and advice is fab

So, got this and am gonna get the sub seconds hand replaced and then off for a service and new Flieger Strap

Hopefully, this is one that will appreciate in value over the years

watch_zpse74cea8b.jpg

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

Glad I could help a little. Man DT I can't wait to see it all wristed up on a strap. I always loved the propeller logo on the dials of these. In case there was any doubt this is made for pilots motherfuc.... No mistaking it for a dress or divers watch that's for sure. :D One of the earliest "tool" watches(and enormous for the time), an actual pilots watch made at a time when IWC were mostly selling pocketwatches and Breitling hadn't been invented. Well wear DT.

Plus my Flieger needs a relative close by so it doesn't get lonely. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement