Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Oh and 2 idiots sent me an "I have 2 rooms free next semester" email today.

ITD has been notified and the offenders have a 1mb email to collect tomorrow:mad::mad:

How does one notify ITD about these lovely emails and do they do anything about it? I've gotten three this morning and it's really getting on my nerves as I'm waiting on an email from one of my lecturers, not that I need an excuse to be annoyed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Give Gordon Young a mail, his details are on that page that bazkennedy posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

rmacm wrote: »
    Give Gordon Young a mail, his details are on that page that bazkennedy posted.

I cc him on all my rant replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

This is my generic response to fools that keep spamming me with "rooms for rent emails":
    If you want to advertise a room then use the ACCOMMODATION NOTICE BOARDS!! Go to the ACCOMMODATION OFFICE and advertise there!!

You are sending stupid SPAM emails that arent wanted and clog up inboxes!!

Go to this website and advertise either http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=975

But STOP SENDING MASS EMAILS!!!

Have some cop on!

And this is the respose I received today:
    I must apologies about sending the stupid SPAM email to you. I am aware that they aren't wanted and are a great nuisance to the vast majority of students, however, I was simply hoping to find somebody out there who does want it!

Thanks for the advice about the accommodation office, I was not aware of such a board where I could advertise the rooms.

Despite my absent mindedness that somebody could get so very angry about an email, I assure you that I am fully copped on.

Again, I deeply regret causing such stress, especially as exam time is looming.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I don't know what the big deal is about. Sure, they are annoying, but only if you open them. The facility to delete an email before opening it is available, so why not just do that?

For me, it's not receiving the spam that is annoying, it's the fact that students can send it. I'm a Class Rep and I can't even email my course, all 5 of them, but then idiots can send an email about a room for rent to all students. ITD should be stopping students from sending an email to more than 5 persons, and anyone who sends out spam should be blocked from emailing anyone but lecturers. IMO anyway.

Edit: Before anyone says it, I know I can get permission to email them but I manage fine, it's the principle that matters.

ImDave wrote: »
    I don't know what the big deal is about. Sure, they are annoying, but only if you open them. The facility to delete an email before opening it is available, so why not just do that?

They are not just annoying if yo open them!

The student email holds feck all, and having a 1MB email sent around by some idiot blocking it up is ridiculous, and that happens regardless of whether I open it or not!

Just because they dont have the common sense to use the accommodation board/office, or use daft.ie, or other internet sites to advertise, we have to suffer with a constant barrage of the same sort of emails...

I was told that for primary research for a module this semester that I wasnt allowed to email the entire student list, or the 4th years in UL, or the 4th year BBS class, or even the people taking the module with my questionnaire.

Just got my 4th one of the day. This one was so big it instantly left my inbox full. I also got a response from Gordon Young who said he can't do anything and I have to go to the Disciplinary Committee. I'm sure they'd be thrilled to hear from me.

As usual, ITD does eff all. Do they actually do ANY work? I remember being in a lecture the other week and the computer wouldn't work. The lecturer got someone from ITD in. They couldn't fix it so lecturer announces the lecture is cancelled, and then one of students notices the computer is unplugged.

I wish I was joking.

Slightly annoyed with the fact that the Stables closed the shutters at 12:15 last night...I wanted another pint! Helps me sleep :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Some guy had the bright idea to start those again about a week ago and they've been a dailly hassle since, just 1 of them generally being enough to fill my entire mailbox. :(

Nope. I love them. It breaks my heart when I don't get one...

...because I don't get to send a sarky reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

there stupid tbh, the ones about a room to rent and people replying to it are the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I've just done my bit for the indo!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Merged thread in here. Keep the daily bitches to the bitch thread chaps and chapettes!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,729 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Was anyone else here told today they aren't allowed use their laptops in the library, and that it's "Reading only"??!!

It's bloody ridiculous! People have notes and stuff on their alptops, and we can't use them because apparently typing on the keyboard is such a nuisance??!!

Next time that guy comes up to me and tells me to shut off my laptop, Ill tell him to shut off all the bleeding Leaving Certs who barge in every day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Was anyone else here told today they aren't allowed use their laptops in the library, and that it's "Reading only"??!!
    Oh, that'll be fun tomorrow given that I'm planning on being there all day with all my notes and books on a screen. A screen that, incidentally, gets read.

Now, on to higher matters.

Firstly the bus service has been restored on Tuesday and Thursday nights (the bus to town that was suspended two weeks ago, not the nitelink, which I assume is running all nights during exams as usual). That's good. Especially given the unlikelihood of trouble from anyone on the buses given that everyone's concerned about exams, not going drinking and students aren't back till the end of January after next week.

Secondly I put something about the spam issue in the Limerick Indo that was out today. It's at the bottom of page 25, the page where December has an extra 'r' in it at the top of the page for some reason. Comments from some people and a reply from ITD included. Balanced and fair, y'see?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

sceptre wrote: »
    Balanced and fair, y'see?

Just like Fox News!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Secondly I put something about the spam issue in the Limerick Indo that was out today. It's at the bottom of page 25, the page where December has an extra 'r' in it at the top of the page for some reason. Comments from some people and a reply from ITD included. Balanced and fair, y'see?

Slow news week? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

It's bloody ridiculous! People have notes and stuff on their alptops, and we can't use them because apparently typing on the keyboard is such a nuisance??!!

Next time that guy comes up to me and tells me to shut off my laptop, Ill tell him to shut off all the bleeding Leaving Certs who barge in every day!!!
    Were you on the top floor by any chance, I think its only not allowed there

• Advertisement

That has got to be the stupidest thing I've heard in a good while. Why not say that laptops must be kept to the one area instead of banning them altogether? If I decide to go in tomorrow and they try and tell me to turn off my laptop, while I'm sitting at a laptop networked desk, they can run and jump. What's the point of having such desks if you can't even use our laptops? It's not our fault if people are idiots and sit at the desks with an internet cable sticking out of it. Go sit somewhere else. :mad:

Peteee wrote: »
    Just like Fox News!
    Oh, wow, that was, like, totally unintentional on my part
    Slow news week? :pac:
    Yes. One of my "very important" stories kept in reserve for when I need to use them, assuming they're still relevant.

How many tickets were sold for the Christmas Ball again?
    (kidding)

When's UL going to get a big glass bubble to keep off the rain and keep out the chavs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

ergonomics wrote: »
    That has got to be the stupidest thing I've heard in a good while. Why not say that laptops must be kept to the one area instead of banning them altogether? If I decide to go in tomorrow and they try and tell me to turn off my laptop, while I'm sitting at a laptop networked desk, they can run and jump. What's the point of having such desks if you can't even use our laptops? It's not our fault if people are idiots and sit at the desks with an internet cable sticking out of it. Go sit somewhere else. :mad:

It's only on the 2nd floor on the left hand side that you're not allowed use its the gluckmans area or something weird like that.. I think its a good idea just to have that section laptop free, its quite then for studying there..

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Oh for f00k sake .... the union spends the last few yeas getting the library to spread internet capability then then then they go shut down another area ................

Sometime I relly feel like punchin someone - namely ***** the library rep at the BBS Faculty meetings!!! Would love to name him but can't!!

DJCR wrote: »
    Oh for f00k sake .... the union spends the last few yeas getting the library to spread internet capability then then then they go shut down another area ................
    Wireless coverage is very good (the best in fact) in the EDC. The old EDC, which now doesn't have any desks as it's now short loans. Big sections on floor 1 where bandwidth is 1Mps (compared to 54 in the old EDC) or zero and quality "fair" or "poor" (or non-existent). Feel free to tell the library rep that, especially considering the library was considering putting in for funding with Ulster bank to wireless-enable the main courtyard before I checked and found almost all of it to have excellent coverage already. Better library wireless required.

Great but demogaphic analysis shows there are now more laptops which leads to greater contention rates ..... slowing down the internet + with a decrease in the number of laptops allowed = more inconvenience to students!!!

I know less laptops = less contention but seriously ...... whats the point in having a laptop if you can't use it.

DJCR wrote: »
    Great but demogaphic analysis shows there are now more laptops which leads to greater contention rates ..... slowing down the internet
    Oh, you're definitely right there, it's easy to spot in the canteen if you're at the wrong end - usability (and by "usability" I mean opening a simple text page) depends on how many machines are being used in between you and the right side of the canteen.

Library's full of black and grey spots though regardless of contention, they need to put in a few more WAPs to sort the problem. Especially given that ITD are definitely considering the idea of not buying any more public access machines (ever) and assuming that everyone will have their own laptop, most of which will rely on wireless for network and Internet access, for convenience over wired if nothing else. It's probably about two years before they'll have to make that call (and obviously every few years again if they decide to continue buying new machines then) but they're seriously considering it already.

Oh, you're definitely right there, it's easy to spot in the canteen if you're at the wrong end - usability (and by "usability" I mean opening a simple text page) depends on how many machines are being used in between you and the right side of the canteen.

Library's full of black and grey spots though regardless of contention, they need to put in a few more WAPs to sort the problem. Especially given that ITD are definitely considering the idea of not buying any more public access machines (ever) and assuming that everyone will have their own laptop, most of which will rely on wireless for network and Internet access, for convenience over wired if nothing else. It's probably about two years before they'll have to make that call (and obviously every few years again if they decide to continue buying new machines then) but they're seriously considering it already.

Way too much detail for me in my current state - I'm just glad I' making sense, you know I really do care but some things just really piss me off!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,396 ✭✭✭✭cson

A minor detail, but wireless in the library is shoite.

I would have thought (given the institution we're in, that seems to have a fairly lofty opinion of itself) that it wouldn't be an issue but woah no.... barring a networked desk there is absolutely zero chance of ze interweb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,729 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

OK, so one section in the library is "read only". It's still so stupid.

I have notes and sample papers on my laptop, and yesterday I wanted to spend the morning going over Microeconomics papers.
    What about people who come in late in the morning, or can't get a place on other floors?

Do they always do that during the exams?
    Did someone make a complaint about the noise from typing or something?

It just sounds so stupid!

Advertisement