Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donegal forums top 10 attractions?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Leto wrote: »
    The new "extension" of the Appalachian Trail (from Sliabh League through the Bluestacks, and onwards to Antrim)?

Ya would have a link to a map of the route?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Ya would have a link to a map of the route?

Well, this was the proposed route sometime before last November (from here). Today's Irish Times confirms Donegal's inclusion in the International Trail - the paper version has a wee graphic outlining the route, but it doesn't appear to be online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Just thought of Beltany Stone Circle at Raphoe... link here
    and the Inishowen planetarium and maritime museum at Greencastle... link to Planetariun here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Its well on the way to being finished now (new thread made and stickied) i'm slowly adding in short descriptions and links to website photos regarding the individual items, so if anyone has any photos hosted(on the likes of flickr, pix.ie) and wouldn't mind having them linked from the description of the item please reply in here with the photo.

Also if anyone wants to write a very quick review, as in a sentence to describe the place, please reply here with it and i'll add it in there (even one i have something already wrote for, as mines are very basic). I've only done the ones i know well so need loads more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭Penfailed

The Inishowen Quad Safari/Lazer Wars/Bumper Balls - http://www.inishowenquadsafari.ie/

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Buck

Thanks Homer, just back from a long weekend in Donegal. Found this thread very helpful. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I dont see Fintragh Beach on that map, Its a Blue Flag beach. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 frii

So what is the top 10? :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Daniel O'Donnell Centre in Dungloe has to be in the Top 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DonegalCat

Hello folks.

Great idea for a thread.

Can I just add another place ~ Bonny Glen Wood near Ardara. Sorry, I don't know how to get the co-ordinates.

It's a beautiful woodland near Ardara (out past the Kilclooney Dolmen) with an interesting history.

It is said that several families during the famine were offered tickets on boats to America if they gave the land over to the Porter Estate.

There is no entrance fee, plenty of parking and lots of tables & benches dotted along the way where you can take a picnic.

There are two laid out walks (one short and the other a little longer) and there are 3 lakes in the woods. It is a natural habitat to many species of butterfly, bird, and even deer.

The paths seem easy enough to push a baby chair along (I saw parents with strollers there and they didn't seem to have any bother).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As someone who lives near it, its a shame that Malin Head has no proper visitor centre.

I think one was touted, not sure if it will ever go ahead, but most countries would have some sort of marking of their most northerly point. I think there's something at the Mizen Head end, isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

I think Malin head is stunning without adding a visitor centre, somehow I think would take away from the wildness if there was one there. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You may be right, but if tourists are going to make the effort to get there, then the least they could have would be decent facilities to maybe use a toilet or get a bite to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Would like to add www.grassroutes.ie to the list of things to do in Donegal. They are based in Termon and they hire out electric and normal bikes but they will bring out the bikes to you within a reasonable distance from Termon. Myself and my sister hired out the bikes from Glenveagh castle and we had the most amazing day cycling around Glenveagh and Churchill. It was one of the best days out I've had in Donegal and is such a great way to get off the beaten track but doesn't require an amazing level of fitness lol. A big thumbs up for this business and a major boast for Donegal. An maith :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Would it be possible to compile a list of top 20 things to do that doesn't involve looking at scenery or pubs?
    I just can't think of anything but there must be stuff out there.

1. Bowling at Arena 7 Letterkenny
    2. Cinema - Letterkenny, Lifford and Bundoran
    3. Dog Racing - Lifford
    4. ????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Plenty of outdoor activities to be had:

Numerous golf courses all over the place, or pitch and putt for easier/cheaper alternative
    Climb errigal/muckish/slieve snaght
    Canoeing & deep sea fishing out of Bunbeg/Burtonport (probably others)
    The go-karting centre on the ramelton road seems to still be open and has added other activities http://lkactivitycentre.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

retalivity wrote: »
    Canoeing & deep sea fishing out of Bunbeg/Burtonport (probably others)

Rathmullen too, you can charter a boat and head to the wrecks out at the mouth of the lough or just head somewhere along the Swilly and there is also the fishing festival coming up now in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Donegal Airsoft in Newtowncunningham is also pretty good (they do an airsoft and archery package). Pushing the boat here but you can also get lovely Pink and White ice cream ( it's a 99) in Buncrana. I've been known to drive the half hour there just for it. :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭firemansam4

not sure if anyone has mentioned oakfield park Raphoe?
    www.oakfieldpark.com

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Iwernia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Iwernia wrote: »

Went on this once. The boat trip was adequate but they played Celine Dion theme from Titanic on the way out and Daniel O'Donnell on the way back. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

annascott wrote: »
    but they played Celine Dion theme from Titanic on the way out
    I like their style :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

'Visit Donegal' on Facebook is a great resource to find out different things going on in the county. There is so much to do in Donegal. I never realised there are so many different events being run. Sorry if it has been mentioned before. Get liking :)

Advertisement