Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New to Co. Donegal or Thinking of Moving Here? Post In This Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 abubakerbader

Hi there,

I'm new in letterkenny, i will stay a month!

Which place i should visit? where to have fun on the city?

Thanks in advance!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Morelli's is good - nice ice-cream and pretty good coffee. The newsagents next door has killer slushies. There's Burrito Loco nearby, good burritos. The Yellow Pepper has a pretty awesome Early Bird special - food is very good here. La Fantasia for pizza and Italian. Up the High Road, Cafe Blend has great lunch offerings and pretty good coffee.

The shopping centre in the middle of town is a bit boring, but has free WiFi. There's a TK Maxx in the shopping estate - they have some wicked threads.

Universal Books has plenty of used books, CDs, movies - and and, these days, a big pile of guitar amps. The owner here knows things and is a great source of local info. Gallagher's shop is a must-see as it is a virtually unchanged example of the pre-supermarket 'Self-Service Store' that was the height of fashion in its heyday (over 50 years ago). I have yet to leave there without the item I went in looking for - they really have everything!

You can use Letterkenny as a base to explore the rest of Donegal, there are other threads in this forum that describe the good places to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Technique

TroutMask wrote: »
    Gallagher's shop is a must-see as it is a virtually unchanged example of the pre-supermarket 'Self-Service Store' that was the height of fashion in its heyday (over 50 years ago). I have yet to leave there without the item I went in looking for - they really have everything!

Closing down sale now on.

The end of an era in Letterkenny.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Oh no! My favourite shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aaronbyrne1991

Hey just moved to letterkenny monday and there nobody around long lane were does ever1. Hang about. Also whats the graffiti scene like here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Also whats the graffiti scene like here
    I dont understand the question unless you are simply asking if there is much graffiti around. If thats the case have a wander about and have a look for yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Multiple Threads on this topic merged. hopefully this will help answer some questions that people may have when moving to Donegal.

muffler wrote: »
    I dont understand the question unless you are simply asking if there is much graffiti around. If thats the case have a wander about and have a look for yourself :)

Is graffiti big down here and is there crews? ?//

Anyone in long lane area want to show me were to party, hang etc and were to avoide. Pm mr

Nope, there's nothing like that AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Good God, you're in Donegal man

yea i guessed as much thanks its just there in dublin and even dundalk

you might get one in Derry but again not sure.

Edit: stuff like this COI
    Nothing stopping you from forming your own group though (as long as its legal etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

And they can stay there, it's a small town. and a nice one at that. don't need grafitti "artists" here.

And they can stay there, it's a small town. and a nice one at that. don't need grafitti "artists" here.

While I dislike the "tagging" seen in towns I do think that when done correctly and in conjunction with local authorites or businesses it can be very nice.

The beirhaus in Galway is a great example of this.

Before
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8088/8387714782_203c80e01e_h.jpg

After
    http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3091/2731515607_8e4ebf4a02.jpg.

The wooden boards over town that are painted by school kids or the other ones (like near the grill) show that it isn't always ugly or stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

danniemcq wrote: »
    While I dislike the "tagging" seen in towns I do think that when done correctly and in conjunction with local authorites or businesses it can be very nice.

The beirhaus in Galway is a great example of this.

Before
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8088/8387714782_203c80e01e_h.jpg

After
    http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3091/2731515607_8e4ebf4a02.jpg.

The wooden boards over town that are painted by school kids or the other ones (like near the grill) show that it isn't always ugly or stupid
    I agree it can make some run down places (pasts of dublin) look good when done correctly but when its just "my name" in a fancy font it can ruin the look of a place

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Medic475

It's not the Bronx you're in now hey!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭vanessamee

Hi moving to letterKenny in 3 weeks can can any tell me nice quite areas thanks

vanessamee wrote: »

Do you drive? Is there anything you need nearby (parks, shops etc), and renting or buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

Like Dannie mentioned above, if you're driving, there are a few nice areas. Out kiltoy is very quiet - Harmony Hill, Meadow Hill and Carolina Park. All three are very well maintained, quiet estates. Mostly young professionals and families. It's about a 2 - 3 mile walk into town and maybe 8-10 Euro in a taxi, depending on the time of day/night! Some do 5Euro runs too I think!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭vanessamee

Do you drive? Is there anything you need nearby (parks, shops etc), and renting or buying?
    Hi have a car, renting I would have to be close to schools and town centre.,

Hi have a car, renting I would have to be close to schools and town centre.,

Both secondary school afaik are both located near the bottom of town, around the area known as St. Eunans, These are both located near the center of town too and have houses around the area.

With the car though there are plenty of houses for rent on the outskirts of town but you will be moving away from a handy walk to anywhere due to a pretty silly layout and hit and miss local bus service

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sara_Howard

My friend has 2 free rooms coming available in his house, (which is lovely & cosy) at the end of march, I think he is going to advertise them on daft, I can send a link :)

Sorry but no direct links, this is more a Q&A and area guide not for advertisting!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭skulltown

Hey, hoping someone from Letterkenny can help me!

I am thinking of renting a lovely 3-bed house in Ballymacool Wood the green area.

Could someone from there give me some advice on the place I am seeing lots of bad reports about the place PM me so I can ask a few questions?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Iwernia

I have a friend moving to Letterkenny on contract work and he is looking for digs or a rent a room accommodation. It will be arrive on Monday and gone again Friday for the next few months. Does anybody have numbers or contacts for people that may be interested. Thanks.:)

Iwernia wrote: »
    I have a friend moving to Letterkenny on contract work and he is looking for digs or a rent a room accommodation. It will be arrive on Monday and gone again Friday for the next few months. Does anybody have numbers or contacts for people that may be interested. Thanks.:)

There should be a few opertunities now around town for accomodation with students heading home for the Summer. Do they have any preference to parts of town or anything?

If not and they are just looking for a room try http://www.rent.ie/rooms-to-rent/donegal/letterkenny/

The ads seem to be up to date too so should have some luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Well everyone, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out here and point me in the right direction. I have only just heard disevening that I have to move up here for work,for about 4/5 months. Its based in a small village, Crolly. Where or what towns would you recommend me to begin looking for accomadation? Starting early next week so I d'ont have much time to gain knowledge of the area.
    Thank you

Well everyone, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out here and point me in the right direction. I have only just heard disevening that I have to move up here for work,for about 4/5 months. Its based in a small village, Crolly. Where or what towns would you recommend me to begin looking for accomadation? Starting early next week so I d'ont have much time to gain knowledge of the area.
    Thank you

What are your considerations about where you live?

Do you mind a commute? if not how long?
    Do you drive?
    Any other needs required for the area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Not much in Crolly bar a service station and a pub, Gweedore would be close by and would have more amenities. Annagry & Dungloe are not too far the other direction & all of these areas seem to have places to rent on daft.

A lot of the rental properties in that area would be short term rentals to holidaymakers, so there should be no problem paying week to week or being tied down to leases or stuff like that.

Advertisement