Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I hope Marty is not writing his own copy, else we have a worrying Freudian slip on the website...

http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/marty/
    Marty Recommends...
    Katherine Jenkins - Daydream

Her most personal album to date, it draws together music and songs she loves from across classical, traditional, folk and easy pop that have inspired her over the course of her life.

Recorded in Los Angeles and London in spring this year, Katherine has once again teamed up with John Shanks in the U.S (credits include Take That & Westlife and Katherine's hit 2010 single Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming), and Simon Franglen in London (credits include Barbra Streisand, Céline Dion and the Oscar nominated soundtrack to James Cameron's Avatar).

Stand out tracks on the album include the stunning Shanks produced Break It To My Heart, a deeply moving interpretation of the Celtic classic Black Is The Colour, I Dreamed A Dream from Les Misérables rarely performed in French, a brand new composition of Ave Maria and Katherine's stirring tribute to servicing men and women through the ages A Flower Tells A Story.

Unless she has a 'sideline' business? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

Wasn't she lovely this morning? I thought she was only to be on on Monday and Tuesday, so today was a special treat. I must download the podcast when it becomes available. I suspect she's in Ireland for a week-long tour. She certainly comes across as a warm and yet bubbly personality, with that humility and self-effacement that is always the mark of the real artiste. It must be a comfort for her, too, to have such an enthusiastic and well-informed presenter as Marty.

Her 'Carrickfergus' version is clearly in a class of its own, while I have never heard anything to touch her cover of 'Black is the Colour'.

Brava, Katherine! I think she is growing into a new Lesley Garrett already, and she may ultimately fill the void left by the loss of Dame Joan Sutherland, when she has a few more miles on the clock.

Hugo Brady Brown
    MadsL wrote: »
    I hope Marty is not writing his own copy, else we have a worrying Freudian slip on the website...

http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/marty/

Unless she has a 'sideline' business? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

I'd say those awful spots with Katherine Jenkins were recorded in one go. Katherine in London or Cardiff and Marty in Dublin.
    You're being given a false impression there by your hero I'd say, Hugo.

Filling the void left by Joan Sutherland? Her? Ya think?

If she sang in a local church choir with the odd solo at Christmas and Easter, she'd be fine. That's it.

Marty Whelan and Katherine Jenkins - the bland leading the blonde.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TacaFail

I'm sure this Hugo f-er is a plant for Whelan - he is making a fool of all of us here reading this. I heard the sh1t that Timmy was takling about because I was going to come on here today and it's just PR BS all the way. Is Masterson running Jenkins as well I wonder! And tomorrow we have that fool from the north on again with his baby voice talking about blackpuddins that he wouldn't touch in his fancy resturant! Why doesn't he come clean and tell us who he is anyhow - I don't think Whelan himself would waste his time with Boards so it must be some subserving creepin Jesus in his studio that is doing this for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

TacaFail wrote: »
    I'm sure this Hugo f-er is a plant for Whelan - he is making a fool of all of us here reading this. I heard the sh1t that Timmy was takling about because I was going to come on here today and it's just PR BS all the way. Is Masterson running Jenkins as well I wonder! And tomorrow we have that fool from the north on again with his baby voice talking about blackpuddins that he wouldn't touch in his fancy resturant! Why doesn't he come clean and tell us who he is anyhow - I don't think Whelan himself would waste his time with Boards so it must be some subserving creepin Jesus in his studio that is doing this for sure.

I think he just fancies Marty;)

• Advertisement

johnnyk66 wrote: »
    I think he just fancies Marty;)

Unworthy, I say! I appreciate his music, his charm, his wit, his verbal dexterity, his professionalism, his positive outlook on the world. As do a majority of the people who listen to RTE Lyric FM, I might add.

(I realise that the quoted post may have been intended as good-natured ribbing, and perhaps I deserve it, but, nevertheless, I feel that it's important to support our own.)

Hugo Brady Brown

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Unworthy, I say! I appreciate his music, his charm, his wit, his verbal dexterity, his professionalism, his positive outlook on the world. As do a majority of the people who listen to RTE Lyric FM, I might add.

Unworthy bending of the truth, to say the least.

As we saw in the JNLR figures, the majority of people who listen to Lyric do not in fact listen to Marty, all other Lyric programmes being listened to by a greater number of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Maggie McGaggie

It is quite extraordinary to think that Marty, at this moment hosting the Fingal finalists of the Nursing Homes Ireland Care Awards 2011( in association with Homecare Medical Supplies), will be on-air once again bright-eyed and bushy-tailed to launch us into the day. I hope he does not pull a sickie or deliver a substandard (automatic pilot) performance. A huge positive to be taken from the event is that Marty could use the occasion as market research and it may aid him in targeting an older, often discounted, audience.

It is quite extraordinary to think that Marty, at this moment hosting the Fingal finalists of the Nursing Homes Ireland Care Awards 2011( in association with Homecare Medical Supplies), will be on-air once again bright-eyed and bushy-tailed to launch us into the day. I hope he does not pull a sickie or deliver a substandard (automatic pilot) performance. A huge positive to be taken from the event is that Marty could use the occasion as market research and it may aid him in targeting an older, often discounted, audience.

Mind you, Margaret Thatcher, the former British prime minister, used to thrive on three hours sleep a night, and live on strong tea, homemade burgers and a single glass of whiskey before she turned in. There are people who get more from life, simply by mining every possible hour for its hidden treasure.

Hugo Brady Brown

:(
    TacaFail wrote: »

Do we need this here?

We here are trying to conduct a civil discussion, and, as people lay aside hackneyed or secondhand opinions of the broadcaster, some or many are turning towards RTE Lyric FM. The quoted post is not an addition to the debate, and assists neither side.

Identify yourself, I say! Shame!

Hugo Brady Brown

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Identify yourself, I say! Shame!

You first.
    RTE shill?

mikom wrote: »
    You first.
    RTE shill?

As was so wisely said earlier "lay aside hackneyed or secondhand opinions of the broadcaster" !

Hugo Brady Brown

I see heartwarming positivity in your post, Maggie McGaggie. (Such an unusual name, too, incidentally; perhaps we could do a feature?) I think the fact that Marty is out tonight working for a charity event tells us a lot about the man; the fact that it was a Boards poster, rather than Mart himself, who drew this to our attention - repeatedly - tells us even more about him. We all share your concern, of course, that it's impossible in the long run to make ten of oneself.

We have one of the best here!

I'd say those awful spots with Katherine Jenkins were recorded in one go. Katherine in London or Cardiff and Marty in Dublin.
    You're being given a false impression there by your hero I'd say, Hugo.

Filling the void left by Joan Sutherland? Her? Ya think?

If she sang in a local church choir with the odd solo at Christmas and Easter, she'd be fine. That's it.

Marty Whelan and Katherine Jenkins - the bland leading the blonde.

On the interview this morning with Marty, it fell out that Katherine has sung with all the modern greats, including Juan Diego, Roberto Alagna, Bryn and so forth, and, interestingly and relevantly for this thread, Marty recollected that Luciano and Dame Joan had had a thing going, musically speaking, for years, where they did a double act in Luciano's home town , and Katherine said that she is doing something similar with Roberto in his home place in deepest Tuscany (I am nearly sure it was in his home town).

Katherine also revealed in this the fifth interview of the week that she loves Mozart, that she studied him in college, and that she generally starts her concerts with a rousing few minutes of his Marriage of Figaro overture. So that, I'd say, puts paid to any hints that the woman is not from the musical top drawer. Young, yes, through no fault of her own, but the voice takes years to develop fully; I feel that ultimately she will become an alto of the highest quality; I hear hints of the richness of Deirdre Cooling-Nolan in there already, though she hasn't come down to that register yet.

It's such a pity that the concert that they were talking about so much is still 13 months off. We shall have to seek her out, either in Cardiff or in Tuscany, I would say.

Loving the show!

As was so wisely said earlier "lay aside hackneyed or secondhand opinions of the broadcaster" !

Hugo Brady Brown

Hugo, i beg you not to respond to these harangues in future, Marty wouldn't be happy with it. If Marty has thought us anything it is this: Be relentlessly positive and upbeat in the face of all the slings and arrows(one can only imagine the number of negative texts the show receives each day, yet he doesn't pay them mind). This is Mart's legacy.

Incidentally, he was brilliant once again this morning and showed no sign of fatigue. I didn't hear all the show(missed Neven), but Vivaldi really got me going. It was almost as if he knew we needed something special and somehow he pulled it out of the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

Hugo, i beg you not to respond to these harangues in future, Marty wouldn't be happy with it. If Marty has thought us anything it is this: Be relentlessly positive and upbeat in the face of all the slings and arrows(one can only imagine the number of negative texts the show receives each day, yet he doesn't pay them mind). This is Mart's legacy.

Incidentally, he was brilliant once again this morning and showed no sign of fatigue. I didn't hear all the show(missed Neven), but Vivaldi really got me going. It was almost as if he knew we needed something special and somehow he pulled it out of the bag.

Oh God no, not another one:(
    Hang on, maybe Hugo had the op:eek: Marty will be pleased;)

:confused:
    johnnyk66 wrote: »
    Oh God no, not another one:(
    Hang on, maybe Hugo had the op:eek: Marty will be pleased;)

:) The op? Really, I am seriously concerned that I speak a different language. I have learned the Smilies, but even so, the quoted post has me bamboozled. Help is at hand, perhaps? Is it a generational thing? (I am wearing my reading glasses while looking at this.):):confused:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

OP = Original Poster
    I am seriously concerned that I speak a different language.

You do... here is a phrasebook..

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=op

MadsL wrote: »
    OP = Original Poster

You do... here is a phrasebook..

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=op

Thank you MadsL, even I had managed to gather what OP means, after my apprenticeship on Boards. :) However, I think it must have some other connotation in the case I queried, but thanks anyway.

Incidentally, The Streakers was very engaging this evening, though my attention had wandered and I remembered it only belatedly. A great clutch of contestants, giving it their all, and with Mart being his usual jovial self. his assistant is a nice little girl too, but I didn't catch her name. (There was an interesting feature on Scouting as well, showing that the fare served in Scouting Ireland camps is far finer than ever I remember in my own day of Pentland Dells, back bacon and Savoy cabbage! Perhaps Marty and Neven have been an influence? (A joke!))

Only 30 hours to go to the next edition of MIMT, I remind readers! 30 hours and counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I wish people would stop slagging off Hugo. He's one of the funniest and most erudite contributors to these pages. People shouldn't take it so seriously. I have a feeling that Hugo has his tongue firmly implanted in his cheek when he's writing his humorous posts.

• Advertisement

Marty started the show with a movement from Vivald's Four Seasons again today. How does he do it? Absolute brilliance. He seemed a bit shell-shocked with the announcement of the impending depature of Kathryn from WS. I sent him an encouraging text. If you can somehow get a copy of Saturday's Independent weekend supplement you will find a sumptuous Christmas pudding recipe originating from the old days of MacNean. Time to get out the plastic bowls, tin foil and twine.

Marty started the show with a movement from Vivald's Four Seasons again today. How does he do it? Absolute brilliance. He seemed a bit shell-shocked with the announcement of the impending depature of Kathryn from WS. I sent him an encouraging text. If you can somehow get a copy of Saturday's Independent weekend supplement you will find a sumptuous Christmas pudding recipe originating from the old days of MacNean. Time to get out the plastic bowls, tin foil and twine.

Although, Maggie McGaggie, I think Marty was really more disturbed about the report that Katherine has attracted a stalker. I think something similar happened to one of our own, actually, where someone was twittering crude and objectional material under the name of another RTE star. Was it Twink (Adele Quinn) or one of the lads? I can't remember.

I missed the Sunday Independent yesterday, recalling it too late only during Gay's show. However, there will be Christmas recipes in the 'Country' supplement to the Farmers' Journal next Thursday morning, with, as usual, a large photograph of Neven. It's nearly as good as having him on the kitchen counter himself, as you're going along. (The recipes from Neven are a bit beyond the days of twine, though, I can tell you! It's all chorizo and truffle oil with him now. It always starts a run on my local shops; neck of mutton couldn't be had for love or money on 7 October, once Neven mentioned roasting it on MITM.)

But, it's really heartworming to see that another listener has been thoroughly won round to the programme. Once you enter into the spirit of it, all criticism seems irrelevant and churlish, as I'm sure you have found already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I wish people would stop slagging off Hugo. He's one of the funniest and most erudite contributors to these pages. People shouldn't take it so seriously. I have a feeling that Hugo has his tongue firmly implanted in his cheek when he's writing his humorous posts.

He has it implanted in someone's cheek, that we can say without doubt...

Maggie McGaggie, I took the trouble to ask a younger person to set me up and I have listened back to this morning's MITM on the iMac, because I had somehow missed your text to Marty this morning, but I can still find no trace of it. Any time my attention wandered, I replayed stretches - such wonderful technology, incidentally - but no luck. (There were compensations, though, in hearing some good things a second time: David Mooney's anecdotes are excellent, and his photographs will no doubt make a superb addition to the website; a fine joke about Mr Berlusconi, too. And Wichita Lineman was a fine song at, as the youngsters say, 'the top of the hour', followed by some Einaudi at his most soothing!) And Glen Campbell is playing in Dublin this weekend, I was reminded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Maggie McGaggie, I took the trouble to ask a younger person to set me up and I have listened back to this morning's MITM on the iMac, because I had somehow missed your text to Marty this morning, but I can still find no trace of it. Any time my attention wandered, I replayed stretches - such wonderful technology, incidentally - but no luck. (There were compensations, though, in hearing some good things a second time: David Mooney's anecdotes are excellent, and his photographs will no doubt make a superb addition to the website; a fine joke about Mr Berlusconi, too. And Wichita Lineman was a fine song at, as the youngsters say, 'the top of the hour', followed by some Einaudi at his most soothing!) And Glen Campbell is playing in Dublin this weekend, I was reminded.
    Hugo, if you are a fan of Glen Campbell, I would strongly advise you to try and catch his upcoming concert.
    He has recently been diagnosed with a serious illness and will soon be unable to either record or preform.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Hugo, if you are a fan of Glen Campbell, I would strongly advise you to try and catch his upcoming concert.
    He has recently been diagnosed with a serious illness and will soon be unable to either record or preform.

Yes, thanks, I hope to. Marty hinted this morning that he is suffering from the early stages of dementia.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Yes, thanks, I hope to. Marty hinted this morning that he is suffering from the early stages of dementia.
    Very sad to see yet another giant of American country approach the end of the road. He will be missed and whats nearly as sad is the fact that there are absolutly nobody to replace them.
    Where is the next J Cash or Waylon Jennings??
    It would appear momas are not letting their babies grow up to be cowboys.

Hugo, it was a private message for Mart with a very special reasoning behind it. With Kathryn leaving WS i felt he just needed a little gee-up, because it makes all the difference. I agree about David Mooney, he is fast stealing Hugo's thunder! I have sent that Neven recipe off to you via snail mail, the old-fashioned way! I posted it to the address you use on the Irish Times. I missed the last post but you should get it on Wednesday, hope you enjoy it.

Hugo, it was a private message for Mart with a very special reasoning behind it. With Kathryn leaving WS i felt he just needed a little gee-up, because it makes all the difference. I agree about David Mooney, he is fast stealing Hugo's thunder! I have sent that Neven recipe off to you via snail mail, the old-fashioned way! I posted it to the address you use on the Irish Times. I missed the last post but you should get it on Wednesday, hope you enjoy it.

Maggie, you are too kind. It speaks well of the calibre of Marty's listenership that they would be willing to part after fewer than 2 days with their precious copy of the Sunday Independent, Ireland's quality Sunday, but, in truth, I would not expect less. I do hope the postal address you used is sufficient and still accurate. (Does Gay still write in Sir Anthony's organ, by the way?)

I tend to agree with you that David Mooney is fast overtaking Hugo as Marty's leading attraction, but, "to everything there is a season and like to the crackling of thorns under a pot, so also ...", and so on. Wit will probably always outshine tedious self-promotion and self-absorption in any case, so it may be all for the best. I sense that there is an army of listeners out there, champing at the bit to share the burden of filling the time with our Mart. Do you imagine they do it for the glory, or is it done as a public service, like posting on Boards?

Could I trouble you, perhaps, for one other thing, though since you have obviously missed today's post, and, what with the price of postage stamps in any case, you might be in a position to place the answer here, for the enlightenment of all: who or what is WS? I have scoured the Internet, but I have been defeated. I find myself going in the direction of one Wesley Snipes, and then getting diverted into even more unwholesome recesses of the Internet, all of which seem most unsuitable for such a lovely girl as our Katherine.

With all the best, as we look forward to a fresh take on Vivaldi in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Could I trouble you, perhaps, for one other thing, though since you have obviously missed today's post, and, what with the price of postage stamps in any case, you might be in a position to place the answer here, for the enlightenment of all: who or what is WS? QUOTE]

I think Maggie means Winning Streak

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement