Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eley Ltd. acquired by LDC for £42 million

• 14-10-2014 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting bit of news here:
    ELEY Limited, the English producer of high-quality rimfire ammunition, has been acquired by LDC in a £42 million deal. LDC is a well-established private equity firm specializing in management buy-outs, equity release (cash out), development (DevCap) and acquisition finance transactions.

Eley ammo production will increase, thanks to fresh capital expenditures by LDC. In exciting news for shooters, “a new round will be launched” according to Andrew Lane, Managing Director of Eley/LDC. This new ammo product is a big mystery. We can’t speculate whether this is a completely new rimfire cartridge, or simply another variant of .22 LR or other popular rimfire round. (Might Eley be producing 17 HMR in the future?) Along with the expanded production, Eley plans to open a new test facility for “the strategically important Scandinavian market-place.” We presume that will be located in Norway or Sweden, but no location has been revealed as yet.

ELEY has grown in recent years and it now has 122 employees, mainly in operations, manufacturing and distribution. Eley was founded in 1826 by the Eley Brothers and moved to the Birmingham area after World War I. A division of Nobel Explosives, it eventually became a subsidiary of ICI in 1926. It later formed part of the IMI metals division that was separated from ICI in 1977. Following this deal with LDC, it is once again an independent company.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Sparks wrote: »
    Interesting bit of news here:

I'm guessing the new round will be another EPS variant. Possibly another training variant? Or a super-premium Tenex?

Given the strength of the Norwegian team, the fact that most (all?) of them shoot Tenex, in addition to the huge domestic shooting scene I imagine they'll put the new testing facility in Norway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Wonder will it effect quality and/or price?

When Lylevale cartridges ceased trading and were bought out then re-opened i found their new stuff to be "lacking" in a sense. Perhaps it's in my head, but the older stuff seemed much better. Plus their prices went up significantly. From €75 per 250 to €130 per 250.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Cass wrote: »
    Wonder will it effect quality and/or price?

When Lylevale cartridges ceased trading and were bought out then re-opened i found their new stuff to be "lacking" in a sense. Perhaps it's in my head, but the older stuff seemed much better. Plus their prices went up significantly. From €75 per 250 to €130 per 250.

Whatever about the price, Eley live and die on their reputation for producing top quality ammunition. They work hard to attract the best ISSF shooters, so if quality drops off and the top shooters move to Lapua/RWS then they're screwed commercially. Those folks very often don't pay for their ammo, so they'll happily move to any supplier who'll give them even a tiny extra advantage. Where they lead, thousands of others follow.

Hopefully the price won't go up. It's expensive enough to begin with!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭intershoot

IRLConor wrote: »
    I'm guessing the new round will be another EPS variant. Possibly another training variant? Or a super-premium Tenex?

Maybe a new semi-auto round.........but then what would I know! 😉

Advertisement