Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Not particularly, I think the 49ers should be the favourites but only very slightly.

Big problem is that no matter what the score there won't be a moment of relaxation, given the power of the two offenses. It will be a long, long evening but it is much better than discussing who we'll pick at number 2 :D

Yep, there wasn't a moment of relaxation :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Really thought they had it after the second INT. The series after that on offense was pretty ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Can't help but think the coverage on D relaxed a little in the 4th. They gave up yards before the big 44 yarder...and they did the same against Green Bay. Bunch of plays you could look at and say What if!
    Realistically, going from 4-12 to NFC Champs in one year is a hell of a story and not many would have guessed that at the start of the year. Similar coaches for next year. A mostly young team. Now we need to get what few draft picks we have right (CB!). Jalen Hurd healthy should be as explosive as Deebo. Future is bright.

Good article on after the game. Between this and seeing his post game interview I'm absolutely gutted for Staley. Despite all the injuries this year hopefully he sticks it out for another year, it would be a huge hole to fill on the field and locker room if he retires.

https://twitter.com/MikeSilver/status/1224268965037461505?s=20

Yep the Joe Staley interview is heart breaking. Sounds like this is the end for him. Would love to see another year from him though, if he's 100% healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The NFC West is going to be horrible to get out of for the next few years.

That expansion to a 7 team playoff could be very much needed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

49ers bringing back Jimmy Ward on a 3-year, $28m deal. Good move.

adrian522 wrote: »
    49ers bringing back Jimmy Ward on a 3-year, $28m deal. Good move.

Good move and a great deal for the team, not even top 10 safety money.

I wanted him back and though his play deserved top end money, he was such a sick note for most of career that I didn't want the team paying him too much.

I need to evaluate everything but off the top of my head we have areas of weakness but no obvious big holes that would stop us from going best player available in the draft or trading back for good offers.

Ronald Blair and Jerrick McKinnon both coming back. Blair is a no-brianer, McKinnon better be on a very cheap contract. No word yet.

• Advertisement

Ronald Blair and Jerrick McKinnon both coming back. Blair is a no-brianer, McKinnon better be on a very cheap contract. No word yet.

Delighted to get Blair back, was worried about the interest from the Browns. He showed some really good play this year and will be needed more with Buckner gone (Armstead likely playing more DT)

I hope McKinnon is basically a vet minimum. He made a boat load of money already. Dead cap was going to be $4m with a saving of about the same if cut.

Bourne and Breida given 2nd round tenders so 1 year deals at $3.25m each. If someone wants to offer them money I'd say we'll happily take their 2nd.

Looks like they're going to basically keep the whole team together minus Sanders and Buckner. Potential for a few further trades or cuts also.

McKinnon vet minimum confirmed plus small bonuses.

https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/1240023747743985666?s=20

I wouldn't have made second round tenders for either, just let them see what they can get and match if they want to bring them back, would work out cheaper.

They need to cut a RB anyway I think, maybe coleman.

That McKinnon contract is ok, the only way he was coming back though.

I wouldn't have made second round tenders for either, just let them see what they can get and match if they want to bring them back, would work out cheaper.

They need to cut a RB anyway I think, maybe coleman.

Cutting Coleman would cover $4.8m and cap saving for cutting or trading Goodwin is $3.6m also.

I think both of the guys tendered would have gotten more than the tender cost on the open market and I dont think we'd pick up a similar quality player at that cost. Bourne might be a slight overpay but he has shown consistent improvement and we're very tight on WR depth right now, with uncertainty to Taylor and Hurd coming back from IR.

Starting to feel more and more that they'll end up going for an OT or DT at 13 or trade back. Other potential is one of the top 2 CBs, in the unlikely situation that they fall.

Signs seem to point to an early rush for the top 3 WRs and even if not the Shanahan's have generally valued trench players with first round picks (though not IOL). I see WR being somewhat similar to DBs in the past few years, where the team doesn't see quite the need as the public and Shanahan knowing he can scheme guys open. Lynch also highlighted when picking McGlinchey how important it is to take OTs early when you have the opportunity and hopefully the team is unlikely to have this kind of opportunity again soon.

Rumours floated around yesterday that a number of players are on the trade block but unless there is a crazy offer it will be Goodwin and one of Coleman or Breida moved, likely in some kind of packages to move up in the draft to 3rd/4th.

Buckner trade definitely made studying the draft a lot more interesting while in isolation

2 biggest gaps since the Super Bowl were DT and WR and filled both. Could be quiet for the rest of the draft but I expect trades of Goodwin and an RB either tomorrow or earlier on Saturday.

Not exactly what I'd do but think it was a good haul

Well that was an interesting last day!

This is a brtual run:

Week 7: @ New England
    Week 8: @Seahawks
    Week 9: vs. Packers (TNF)
    Week 10: @ Saints

They get a bye after those 4 games.

This is a brtual run:

Week 7: @ New England
    Week 8: @Seahawks
    Week 9: vs. Packers (TNF)
    Week 10: @ Saints

They get a bye after those 4 games.

Not easy but nothing like that historically tough run at the tail end of last season, especially after having such an early bye.

No super cold games and the only 2 early games scheduled all season are done by week 3 and they will be able to stay on the east coast between them. Mixed bag on getting the new coaches and large overhaul teams earlier and later in the season. I think the schedule is also better regarding teams being more rested against us.

• Advertisement

New 6 year deal for Kyle. First coach to sign an extension for the team in 20 years, which shows how incredibly dysfunctional the organization has been, from a mix of terrible coaches right through to bad ownership.

Interesting that there is no word of an extension for Lynch. May potentially point to him being 'promoted' out of the GM at some point so they can shift Peters in before he is lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Broken foot for Deebo Samuel per Ian Rappoport. Disaster

mickmc7 wrote: »
    Broken foot for Deebo Samuel per Ian Rappoport. Disaster

Better now than a week before the season.

Need to keep our fingers crossed it doesn't go the way of Trent Taylor

Mostert put in a trade request after contract renegotiation didn't go anywhere.

Can't blame him for trying to maximise his money but he just signed a new contract offseason and has only performed for 1 year.

If the 49ers get a reasonable offer for him I'd take it but I'd be shocked if another team would risk giving decent pick and a raise to an RB approaching 30, who bounced around the league as a special teams player before having 1 year of good production, that year being with an OC that has a record of getting RBs to outperform their abilities.

He is a definite loss but RB was a position where the team was likely to have a tough cut so I don't see them blinking and instead will let him sit out if he wants to take it that far.

Yeah can't see them restructure Mostert's newish contract. Especially at the RB position, where we know Coach is pretty good at finding and plugging guys in when needed. If we have a season, really hoping McKinnon can be healthy...would solve the issue of Mostert leaving/sitting out.

After the great news of the Kittle deal last week it seems like bad news today. After missing the whole of 2019 season with a back injury, it seems Hurd tore his ACL yesterday. Doing an MRI today but it looks like another season lost. His preseason performance last year looked so promising and I was looking forward to seeing how Shanahan was going to use him all over the field.

Not great news with Deebo likely out for the start of the season but at least Aiyuk has impressed at the start to camp, with Taylor, Jennings, and even Pettis looking good. Depending on how things go, one of the rag tag bunch of the recently signed veteran WRs may end up making the team.

49ers really stacking up on those former 1st rounders. Worked very well in the past with Tomlinson.

Interested to see if any of the cheap fliers on Jordan, Austin, or White make the roster. There is a curve ball this year where they can put up to 6 veterans on the practice squad. If these guys want a chance to reboot their careers with a winning side and in a scheme that suits them they might accept hanging around on that until a roster spot opens up.

Verrett is getting good reviews from camp, getting a lot of time with the starters. Obviously always an injury away from it all disappearing. Williams apparently the monster he was before his break, incredibly athletic in the run and holding his own against Bosa.

https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/1299065678868094977?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I hope Kevin White works out.

He won't. But I hope he does.

• Advertisement

I hope Kevin White works out.

He won't. But I hope he does.

Injuries seem to have ruined him. It is always such a pity.

Despite our injuries, he only joined the team late last week so I think he'll struggle to make the initial squad whatever happens. Potential that they cut him so they can avoid cutting a player that will hit waivers and then bring him either on the main squad or to practice.

Advertisement