Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Questions about buying a new BMW 5 Series F10/F11

• 02-05-2012 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all, I am thinking of buying a new 5 series and have a few questions that I cant seem to find answers for.. would really appreciate any help

1. Automatic vs Manual when it comes to resale value for a 5 series
    2. How much bargaining space is available with a dealer ( how much commission do they give and where and how can I get deals ) I want to get the most of my money and I want to haggle for the price or get some added bonus for the money I spend.. I wonder if anyone has some experience with this.
    3. Best options to go for to increase the resale value
    I am buying it new from a BMW dealer. I am getting the 520D SE with

• Sports auto/Manual
    • Space grey colour
    • Xenon light
    • Ambient lighting
    • USB and iphone connection
    • Black lighting full
    • sports steering wheel
    • Sports seats in front
    • anthracite head lining

The other option is to go for the 520D efficient dynamics with the same options in Manual

Aim is to use the car for 4 years and sell it before the model gets replaces. Aim to do about 40,000 KM in mixed roads over the 4 years.

Thanks again.

Sorry if I have made any mistake with this thread. I did read the instructions and advice and I think this is ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

considering its not really a performance model (535 / m5) the auto will be better for resale.

msport pack and idrive would be desireable on resale and nicer to drive but I dont know if thats in your budget

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Auto without question from a resale point of view. If you're going manual then the Efficient Dynamics without question, since it's cheaper to buy as well as to tax. The vast majority of people looking for these kind of cars want an auto.

Would you not consider the 525d or the 530d - they're all in the same tax band (€225 per annum) if you go for an automatic in SE trim? The 530d in particular has the benefit of six cylinders, and six cylinders is better than four:).

A lot of road testers are of the opinion that you should not order that car without the Variable Damper Control option - VDC makes it ride and in particular handle more like a car from the self proclaimed makers of 'the Ultimate Driving Machine' are to be believed! Try one with and without it is probably the best advice really.

520ds are still in high demand, so I wouldn't be so sure about getting too much of a discount. Since less people are interested in the higher powered models, there should be more leeway.

The M Sport pack would be desirable from a resale point of view too, although since it does raise the emissions, it may pushes the car into a higher VRT band depending on engine (which dramatically bumps up the price). Certainly with the more powerful models, I would see the M Sport as a pre-requisite for resale value - on a 520d it probably doesn't matter since a lot of people buy them simply becuase it's a BMW. An enthusiast will be more interested in the more powerful models, and by definition likes driving, so will want the M Sport pack as it sharpens up the handling and it also looks a lot better too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

As a used BMW buyer, I skip past the SEs like they're Micras; Sports is all I'm interested in. I could be considered particular though, if not outright peculiar. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

1. Definitely auto.
    2. Straight deal or trade in? If you sell your trade in privately you will invariably do better. There was a thread here recently about a (US) guy who would ring every dealer and say he will buy a car today and looked for the best price including all the options. This might work in your case and you could ring every dealer in the country. Whether you will get the best price over the phone is debatable though. I would call in person to a number of them and give them the same ultimatum.
    3. Best option for resale value is the auto transmission. Most of the other options will add no value to a four year old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭1916

Automatic vs Manual when it comes to resale value for a 5 series
    <--Auto, very few manuals are actually sold in the 5 i.e. the demand is not there for manual, will be the same when you resell
    [*]How much bargaining space is available with a dealer ( how much commission do they give and where and how can I get deals ) I want to get the most of my money and I want to haggle for the price or get some added bonus for the money I spend.. I wonder if anyone has some experience with this.
    <-- Dealers have about 8%, part of this is a kick back from BMW on car volumes sold, so its not all available upfront, €2,000 to €2,500 should be easy, more your doing well, if your a return customer to BMW you will get more, maybe in 4 years time..
    [*]Best options to go for to increase the resale value
    • Sports auto/Manual <-Nice
    • Space grey colour <-Nice, with black interior I assume
    • Xenon light <- Save your money and get the Prof Nav
    • Ambient lighting
    • USB and iphone connection
    • Black lighting full
    • sports steering wheel <-Nice, standard wheel is too big IMO
    • Sports seats in front <-Nice
    • anthracite head lining <-Nice, most don't appreciate this feature, so its overlooked, even better in a light coloured interior

Every 5 in a few years time will be a 520d, so there will be a lot coming on the market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

1. Definitely auto.
    2. Not sure on this, but I'd say 5% would be doing well on a straight sale.
    3. The USB would be the only 'must' in your list. Professional nav would really help it sell in a few years, but you'll only get back a fraction of the c. €3k cost. The VDC thing is a crock of **** invented by What Car magazine - who never mentioned anything about it in the previous E60 generation, which presumably had the same, or very similar, suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Honestly you're not doing enough mileage for a diesel.
    If I'm reading that correctly you're talking about 40,000 km over the 4 years which is 10,000km a year.
    You're going to see serious problems with your engine over those 4 years with that extremely low mileage.
    There's way more knowledgeable people on here who can explain better than I can but you'll be looking at problems with your DPF/turbo etc with that mileage.

As for auto/manual...auto all the way..
    As for colour...hmm...my one is space grey but honestly I wished I went for the black...it looks miles better and would be easier to sell.
    My last car was black which was why I plumped for a different colour but I was regretting it after a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

i think msport is a must and also the prof sat nav option, as i think the dash looks crap with just the standard screen, looks way too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

[QUOTE=1916;Every 5 in a few years time will be a 520d, so there will be a lot coming on the market[/QUOTE]

The tax system is being changed in December's budget where they are aiming to screw the 520d owner who currently pays €160/225 in annual motor tax. A 520d might not be as appealing from a tax perspective as it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,665 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

surely a lot of the options you are choosing are standard in m sport spec anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Why not buy what you want and don't worry so much about the resale.

Why spend 50k and end up driving something that's not exactly what you want for 4 years just so someone else can buy it from you for a fraction of the price when you sell it?

Obviously you should get the auto though.

Every 5 in a few years time will be a 520d, so there will be a lot coming on the market

I should have said.. every 2nd hand 5 on the market in a few years will be a 520d

The VDC thing is a crock of **** invented by What Car magazine - who never mentioned anything about it in the previous E60 generation, which presumably had the same, or very similar, suspension.

To be fair, it's not just What Car? that have said this - pretty much every other car mag has said that the F10 is nowhere near as good to drive as the E60 or any of the previous generation 5 series - even with the fancy driving options, which if What Car? are to be believed transform the way it drives.

You're wrong on the suspension, as the suspension on the new car is totall different to its predecessor. The last model 5 series used aluminimum suspension - this is gone back to steel because aluminimum is too expensive even though this is supposed to be a 'premium' car. Also the front suspension is double wishbones for the first time. And the steering is electric as opposed to hydraulic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

1916 wrote: »
    <--Auto, very few manuals are actually sold in the 5 i.e. the demand is not there for manual, will be the same when you resell

From 05 on there are 400 manuals for sale on carzone towards almost 600 autos. That's not " very few" manuals in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Isn't VDC standard now?

From 05 on there are 400 manuals for sale on carzone towards almost 600 autos. That's not " very few" manuals in my book.

Of the 168 2011 reg cars on sale on Carzone, only 36 are manuals. Of the 150 2012 cars for sale, only 29 are manual.

So in that respect 1916 is dead right - auto is the clear favourite with F10 buyers and the increasing trend is for automatics.

Personally I'd prefer a manual but I'd also want it with a six cylinder petrol:)!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

bazz26 wrote: »
    The tax system is being changed in December's budget where they are aiming to screw the 520d owner who currently pays €160/225 in annual motor tax. A 520d might not be as appealing from a tax perspective as it at the moment.

I have been looking for more on this, any links?

On the Manual v Auto sale mix, back in 2008 when I asked one of the Dublin dealerships' how many Auto 5's did they sell that year, 1 Manual v 50 Auto. I was surprised, but maybe its a Dublin thing, or maybe its not representative. I'd be looking for the Auto box if I was looking for a 2nd hand 5

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The figures are being offset by UK imports brought in cheaper as manuals are less favourable over there.

I don't get don't anyone would want a 2l auto, it's just a nonsense to me. The wife's e39 is anaemic enough as it is, I can only imagine what it'd be like with an auto sapping more power. Barges I can understand, but not a low end 5. Give me a manual any day.

EDIT: I'd find it very hard to base such a fundamental part of the driving experience on resale value too, but that said I don't think I'll ever be the type to buy new. I have to wonder if there are any Drivers out there anymore though, or is it just all Motorists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,665 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

dahamsta wrote: »
    I don't get don't anyone would want a 2l auto, it's just a nonsense to me. The wife's e39 is anaemic enough as it is, I can only imagine what it'd be like with an auto sapping more power. Barges I can understand, but not a low end 5. Give me a manual any day.

EDIT: I'd find it very hard to base such a fundamental part of the driving experience on resale value too, but that said I don't think I'll ever be the type to buy new. I have to wonder if there are any Drivers out there anymore though, or is it just all Motorists.

agree with this

my old man has an auto e60 520d and its a soul destroying thing to drive :(

To be fair, a 520d has 184 bhp these days, so it's hardly slow.

A driver would be having a six cylinder model anyway, and they're definitely saleproof without the automatic:)! It's a pity for real enthusiasts that you can't buy a petrol any more (well technicially you can of course, but you'd want to be prepared to lose a hell of a lot of money).

Then again when I was younger a petrol BMW 5 series was something to aspire to, not least because of that sweet sounding six cylinder engine, now you can't have a six pot unless you go for a 530i - the lower models only have four cylinders nowadays and I don't care how technically brilliant they are, four is not the same as six:(!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Do you genuinely not care if it's manual or auto? Pick the transmission that suits you. 4 years is a long time to drive a car with the next owner in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Eoin wrote: »
    Do you genuinely not care if it's manual or auto? Pick the transmission that suits you. 4 years is a long time to drive a car with the next owner in mind.

+1

Don't buy a car thinking how you're going to get rid of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

eth0 wrote: »
    +1

Don't buy a car thinking how you're going to get rid of it
    +1
    You will lose a shedload buying new anyway!

Isn't VDC standard now?

With the Sport Auto box there is a thing called Drive Performance Control where you can select Normal/Sport mode, but VDC is a further option

1916 wrote: »
    With the Sport Auto box there is a thing called Drive Performance Control where you can select Normal/Sport mode, but VDC is a further option

All models have Drive Performance Control now, but like you say, VDC is still an option. The larger engined models are available with adaptive drive instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Diesels should all be auto. No such thing as a sweet manual box with a diesel. And besides, the auto is invariably quicker in the modern boxes like VW and BMW.

I've just sold my 9 year old manual 2l diesel Astravan, it was an absolute hoot to drive. If it was auto, I probably wouldn't be here today, having slit my wrists in sheer boredom. If the wife's car was auto I'd probably be living under a bridge, in a cardboard box, divorced and alone. But with a manual, cos I couldn't afford the barge. :)

For the record though, I don't have a problem with autos in general. My barge is an auto, it adds to the delight of the motorway cruise. It's not as much fun on the back roads as it should be though, so I can't see how a 2l auto could be any fun at all, despite their increased power and efficiency. Driving an auto on those roads isn't really driving, it's steering.

But again, each to their own. We all have different interests. Some are drivers, others are motorists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Just a note on the colour, obviously its a matter of personal opinion, but a chap I know has a space grey F10 and its shocking boring looking, fades away into the murky horizon.

Something with a bit more colour improves the F10 no end, and resale value in my view.

Advertisement