Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

• 03-12-2009 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I think we need a thread that caters for the small stories in the NFL that probably dont deserve their own thread or just post random links about the nfl, funny stories or video clips of plays you like, etc.

Anyway i just downloaded "The Chad Ochocinco Experience" free iPhone app and i defly recomend it.

As much as i don't like the guy, the app is hilarious, with such features as What would Ocho do?, Where's Ocho?, Ocho Sound bites in both English and Spanish. Its a shameless self-promotion app but good on ya Chad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I guess Id just like to say that I absolutely love the NFL and cannot wait for my next dose of football action every week; I cannot stop reading up on it, tweaking my FF team, playing Madden or GoalLineBlitz etc. It has far surpassed soccer as my favourite sport, which I have fallen out of love with over the past couple of years.

American Football - I salute thee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Only a couple of hours to the first dose this week for you.:)

I don't like the Bills at all but I'll be shouting for them big time tonight.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

eagle eye wrote: »
    Only a couple of hours to the first dose this week

oh sweet! I'd totally forgotten about TNF tonight. Thanks for reminding me.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

Archimedes wrote: »
    I guess Id just like to say that I absolutely love the NFL and cannot wait for my next dose of football action every week; I cannot stop reading up on it, tweaking my FF team, playing Madden or GoalLineBlitz etc. It has far surpassed soccer as my favourite sport, which I have fallen out of love with over the past couple of years.

I've played Goallineblitz since beta, its starting to get boring, So just madden it up and . . oh look at the time /puts on skysports2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

Dont like this whole Toronto business, it seems like the fans arent even involved, Sanchez just fumbled there and the place was silent

Btw, if ever a play typified a player, that drop by Edwards is it

• Advertisement

oh sweet! I'd totally forgotten about TNF tonight. Thanks for reminding me.
    Thank Hazys, I wouldn't have mentioned it only for he started this thread. Thats one of the good things about having a thread like this, I can see lots of pros to having a kind of off the cuff thread.

Dont like this whole Toronto business, it seems like the fans arent even involved, Sanchez just fumbled there and the place was silent

Btw, if ever a play typified a player, that drop by Edwards is it
    Its never going to be the same in neutral stadium. Its clear though that the NFL are looking to expand big time. If you get a team in Toronto, London, LA and somewhere else maybe Portland or outside the US maybe Paris, Madrid or Berlin.

Thats Edwards all his career, I still think he can be a star in this league, but hopefully not while he is a Jet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

Holy Crap

My Jersey from NFLshop.com arrived today, I only ordered it on sunday, and they attempted delivery yesterday but I was not there.

Delighted, ordered the EQT, its a massive improvement on the Replica version that I had. Also got the right size this time, a medium fits just right. The large, I have I can fit a hoody on underneath and its still loose.

Did get hit with customs, but i expected it, plus with the 20% off, I basically paid the list price

Regards
    Ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

Great defence by Houston at the goalline!, their season ends here if Schaubs out though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Tom Brady has a baby boy...congrats Tom :D

Being selfish it's the worst timing for the Pats :(

Not really, the pats doing f**k all this season anyway. So at least he can get his mind focused come next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Not really, the pats doing f**k all this season anyway. So at least he can get his mind focused come next season

:rolleyes: Still leading the AFC East and Wildcard Round bound. So if that's doing fook all then what is? Don't forget the season is won and lost in the playoffs.

They wont make it past wildcard playoff match.

They wont make it past wildcard playoff match.

Oh ok so at first we were doing fook all this season and now you are saying we wont make it past the wildcard game. Good man you can see into the future now can you? How can you even make that prediction without knowing who the Pats will play in the wildcard game if we win the AFC East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Si Conando

Yeah considering the pats run in, its looking very likely that they will be hosting a game in the wildcard round. If i were a colts fan, i would not want to meet them in the playoffs

I dont need to see into the future to get a read on the pats. Also making a wildcard game is by no means a successful season.

You'd think their run in is easy untill you look at the teams that beat them so far.

The pats of this season are not near as good as they were in previous seasons.

Maybe next season the younger players will mature enough to bring them back on track.

Either way this season they'll acheive f**k all.

I dont need to see into the future to get a read on the pats. Also making a wildcard game is by no means a successful season.

You'd think their run in is easy untill you look at the teams that beat them so far.

The pats of this season are not near as good as they were in previous seasons.

Maybe next season the younger players will mature enough to bring them back on track.

Either way this season they'll acheive f**k all.

So wait now what are you saying? First you said they wont do anything. Which whether you think it or not getting to the playoffs is something whether you see it that way or not. So that point is void.

Then you said they wont get past the wildcard game but I said it was neither true or false but asked you to justify your statement even though you don't know who their opponent will be if they get there.

I never said anything about their run being easy but I feel they will win the AFC east and that is enough to get them to the playoffs.

But your comment of achieving something is retarded. The top achievements are the AFC and NFC Championship titles and the Superbowl. But getting to the playoffs is an achievement in it own right. Winning the AFC East is an achievement in its own right. So again back your statement up with something at least. What are we not going to achieve? The Superbowl? The AFC Championship? Getting to the Wildcard game/Playoffs? Or the AFC East.

Right now all you have done is do what a typical Patriot Hater has done is make a smart comment without backing it up with some sort of argument.

Edit: Whether we win the AFC Champ or the Bowl the Patriots are still a Playoff team and the majority of the NFL teams know it.

Also making a wildcard game is by no means a successful season.

By what standard and it Depends on the team and to be honest based on last season it is this year. Ask the Lions or the Chiefs or the Rams if making the Wild card game would be a successful season for them?

Oh as a Titans fan do you not think the way things have gone that getting to the Wildcard would be a successful season for you?

Under Bill Belichick getting to wild card weekend is not a successful season to be fair. In the eyes of younger Patriots fans too. We have been spoiled rotten over the last 8 years.

For us older guys thats been around since before the team was successful, anytime you make the playoffs is a great season, in fact its a good season if you beat .500.

• Advertisement

Under Bill Belichick getting to wild card weekend is not a successful season to be fair. In the eyes of younger Patriots fans too. We have been spoiled rotten over the last 8 years.

For us older guys thats been around since before the team was successful, anytime you make the playoffs is a great season, in fact its a good season if you beat .500.

I never said it was or wasnt a successful season to make the wildcard spot to be fair. Achievement is totally different to success.

_buck rogers whole argument is we wont do anything. I challenged him asking him do what. He said we wont make it past the wildcard. I asked him does he have a crystal ball etc etc etc. Then he brought success into the argument totally changing his angle when neither myself nor he mentioned it in the first place. Seems like he is coming from the angle I don't like the Patriots and I say the won't win anything type angle.

But then he brought achievement into the same post as success and to be honest there is still lots to achieve without success i.e you can still achieve without winning the Bowl.

I spent 20 mins typing a reply and them my computer restarts. . . .sigh.

Anyway here I go again.

Firstly, Yes I am a Titan fan, but more than a Titan fan I'm a football fan. I don't hate any team.

I never claimed you said their run in was easy, Mr Si Conando made that remark. Am I to only reply to you in this thread?

None of my points are void thank you very much. Just because you disagree does make them void.

Success/Achievement
    Superbowl - Success
    Conference - Success
    Significant Improvements on last year - Success

In Regards to the Titans of course I'm not happy so far as the W's are concerned anyway. Will the Titans achieve anythin this season? No they won't. Will I throw my dummy out of the pram? No I won't.

You seem to think i'm attacking the patriots, that isn't the case. I was responding to Brady having a child ( more important that football!) so I was hardly going to talk about how the steelers will be doing f**k all this season, or the giants.

Do remember that what I say is my opinion and be very sure that I like everyone else on these boards have the right to our opinions.

So will the Pats do anything this season? No they won't.

Anyway here I go again.

Firstly, Yes I am a Titan fan, but more than a Titan fan I'm a football fan. I don't hate any team.

I never claimed you said their run in was easy, Mr Si Conando made that remark. Am I to only reply to you in this thread?

None of my points are void thank you very much. Just because you disagree does make them void.

Success/Achievement
    Superbowl - Success
    Conference - Success

In Regards to the Titans of course I'm not happy so far as the W's are concerned anyway. Will the Titans achieve anythin this season? No they won't. Will I throw my dummy out of the pram? No I won't.

You seem to think i'm attacking the patriots, that isn't the case. I was responding to Brady having a child ( more important that football!) so I was hardly going to talk about how the steelers will be doing f**k all this season, or the giants.

Do remember that what I say is my opinion and be very sure that I like everyone else on these boards have the right to our opinions.

So will the Pats do anything this season? No they won't.
    Seeing as you are such a genius at telling the future, could you break down the playoffs for me and tell who is going to win those games and who will with the Confernce Championships and who will win the big game?

Can you tell me why the Pats won't do anything this season? Details please, not just that the offense or defense has problems.

Seeing as you are such a genius at telling the future, could you break down the playoffs for me and tell who is going to win those games and who will with the Confernce Championships and who will win the big game?

Can you tell me why the Pats won't do anything this season? Details please, not just that the offense or defense has problems.

LOL! Firstly, I think you may have some selective reading issues. So work on that and then re-read the thread genius.

Also, at least tallatghtoutlaws would type more than a line when arguing with me and build his points he disagreed with as oppose to go just saying. . . Duhhhhh you can tell the future, whats the lotto numbers duhhhhh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Geeeeeeeeez, this thread is beginning to remind me of the last minute of the UCLA v USC game a couple weekends ago, where the players lined up and were ready to fight each other, having completely forgotten that the game was about football (and not cross-town rivalry)?;)

Anyway here I go again.

Success/Achievement
    Superbowl - Success
    Conference - Success

So will the Pats do anything this season? Yes they will :D.

I think we will agree to disagree. See this here is why I love these forums. People debating back with solid debats rather than one liners. :D

Oh and I fixed that last line for you.:D

Geeeeeeeeez, this thread is beginning to remind me of the last minute of the UCLA v USC game a couple weekends ago, where the players lined up and were ready to fight each other, having completely forgotten that the game was about football (and not cross-town rivalry)?;)

Men we are a simple creature. We believe the answer to all life's problems lie in our fists and shouting at each other. But many a battle have been settled with a pint down in the pub. Male testosterone you can't beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Archimedes wrote: »

Too right. Its taken me a while to get to grips with the game but i have to say that im absolutely hooked. Still not so sure why there has to be 600 people on the sideline but I love the whole entertainment aspect of it as well. So many personal battles in each match. Absolutely brilliant entertainment.

Come on the cardinals!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

If your offense and defense have problems its usually quite difficult to get anything done not a lot more detail to it!

• Advertisement

If your offense and defense have problems its usually quite difficult to get anything done not a lot more detail to it!
    Headhunter I asked him to go into specifics, if he is going to write off the Patriots then he should know exactly why they are not going to do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement