Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

There is a huge car park down by the Roost now too, so people can park there either. I don't know why anyone parks on the Kilcock road tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Congrats to the gaelic team! Serious achievement to reach the final of the Sigerson Cup. Hopefully they will get good support from the college, the game is on tomorrow!

http://www.thescore.ie/nui-maynooth-and-dcu-set-for-sigerson-showdown-365220-Feb2012/

Hope they bate them DCU ciiints!

Every time I come on here, I keep worrying I'll see this thread locked. FIGHT DA POWAH NORRDETH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    I do enjoy these emails,

The GAA Carpark is next to the north campus so its no big deal, but maybe the Newtown Inn is a tad far... as the crow flies its about a kilometre to the gate of the South Campus, with a nice bridge on the way. It seems less practical.

Jesus Christ....making people park at the Newtown = more people hopping the wall. I definitely did it when I lived in meadowbrook lawns, ad it seriously cuts down on commute time.

In the reading room after ten on a Friday. There are three of us left, who will break first I wonder?

And banquo, seven more posts and I've posted more than you in this thread... ;) :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

I have come to the conclusion that all my lecturers are in on a conspiracy to plot my further demise into insanity.
    I mean 1 essay, thesis project, composition, an election, and two ICA's all in the next week and a half.
    Don't they care about my social life/sleep pattern?
    :rolleyes:

^ Feck! You have a busy few weeks ahead of you!

And then there were two... >.>

Beau wrote: »
    Congrats to the gaelic team! Serious achievement to reach the final of the Sigerson Cup. Hopefully they will get good support from the college, the game is on tomorrow!

http://www.thescore.ie/nui-maynooth-and-dcu-set-for-sigerson-showdown-365220-Feb2012/
    This is on now on TG4. Not looking good for NUIM 15mins in, 4 points down. DCU look very strong and athletic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Decent rally before half time. DCU are missing some criminal chances. A goal and Maynooth have a great chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

thrashed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    thrashed.

A bit harsh when you consider the calibre of the opponents. They were playing against guys who had All-Ireland medals. DCU would probably beat most county teams. For NUIM to even reach the final and last at least half the match within scoring distance I think is a major achievement.

thrashed.

A bit harsh when you consider the calibre of the opponents. They were playing against guys who had All-Ireland medals. DCU would probably beat most county teams. For NUIM to even reach the final and last at least half the match within scoring distance I think is a major achievement.

You're right but unfortunately it only gives context to her correct statement. It was the biggest winning margin in a final!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

You're right but unfortunately it only gives context to her correct statement. It was the biggest winning margin in a final!
    Aren't both the people you quoted male?
    If not, I apologise!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Ha :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

No the thread doesn't lock itself. The mods are just supposed to lock any thread that reaches 10000 posts as it's bad for the boards database if there are too many big threads. Although, I have seen a few threads that have gone significantly over the limit, even ones that were created after it came in (e.g. the Liveline one in the radio forum). And it will always be here, just locked :)

Haha, thanks How so Joe :D

If it were that big an issue I'm sure that the guys in boards HQ would have modified vbulletin to lock them automatically.

I've heard of some changes being planned for boards.ie (down the pub, so I can't say much), the 10,000 post cap might not be needed after they make some of them actually.

Jesus Christ....making people park at the Newtown = more people hopping the wall. I definitely did it when I lived in meadowbrook lawns, ad it seriously cuts down on commute time.

I seem recall reading here many moons ago about plans for a pedestrian gate on Parson Street, which would eliminate the need to wall hop.

Perhaps Banquo would know more about it and would care to offer some insight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Perhaps it would be better if banquo were to offer some dynamite :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I'll will take your dynamite.

Hope to have news on this soon, for realz.

I heard from an ex-SU member that the residents on that side of the campus complained about plans to open up the wall; presumably they expect it to lead to anti-social beheaviour.

IDUNNOJUSTTHEMESSENGER.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

There was an issue where some local residents didn't want a horde of students tramping through their estate each morning. However, that estate has since been gated and residents have no opposition to the pedestrian entrance.

I'll have more news in the very near future, probably by the next UC.

• Advertisement

I heard from an ex-SU member that the residents on that side of the campus complained about plans to open up the wall; presumably they expect it to lead to anti-social beheaviour.

IDUNNOJUSTTHEMESSENGER.

gotta love the locals sometimes, if you didn't want to have the see/deal/interact with students, don't move to a town with a university.

If you've met some of Maynooth's local "concerned citizens" you'd know exactly what I mean.

"Dat Place?, its teeming with drugs you know? Jaysis most of that lot are off their heads the whole time" -Actual Quote from a Maynooth Resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    gotta love the locals sometimes, if you didn't want to have the see/deal/interact with students, don't move to a town with a university.
    What makes you think they moved there? What makes you think they haven't always lived there? Maybe the ones complaining have had terrible experiences with the tiny minority of drunken idiots from the college. Are they in your opinion to be denied the right to complain or express concern about antisocial behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Are you implying that residents should put up and shut up with disorder around their area of residence? The level of disregard shown for people's personal property and right to a peaceful living environment remains an issue in the town.

Social drug use was pretty prevalent in NUIM when I was there. I doubt things have changed greatly.

Neither of the above are solely a student issue; there are plenty of locals who cause problems in the town also.

mickstupp wrote: »
    What makes you think they moved there? What makes you think they haven't always lived there?

The ones complaining weren't over 216 years old, so I would be inclined to think that had they lived here all their lives, they would at some time, have come to accept that they have to co-exist with the student body.
    mickstupp wrote: »
    Maybe the ones complaining have had terrible experiences with the tiny minority of drunken idiots from the college. Are they in your opinion to be denied the right to complain or express concern about antisocial behaviour?

I have no doubt that have experienced some anti-social behaviour, but rather then voice their concerns with the Garda (the people in charge of enforcing most laws) they instead call the SU, or Joe Duffy or Threaten to Object to every planning application the university makes (And they make no secret of it)
    ixus wrote: »
    Are you implying that residents should put up and shut up with disorder around their area of residence? The level of disregard shown for people's personal property and right to a peaceful living environment remains an issue in the town.

I'm not for one second implying that locals should sit idly by, but I do think that they are scape-goating some of the towns home grown problems on the university.

the way they go about tackling this issue needs to be looked at. Even if the university/SU is seen to take a very proactive approach and engage the town more (which I feel it should), it won't solve every problem/satisfy everyone.

While the residents concerns are valid, some can be a tad exaggerated (as in my example).
    ixus wrote: »
    Social drug use was pretty prevalent in NUIM when I was there. I doubt things have changed greatly.

Neither of the above are solely a student issue; there are plenty of locals who cause problems in the town also.

Drugs are everywhere, its not to the extent yet that the university is a crack den, but I see your point.

There are local troublemakers, as there are student troublemakers, but the student body nor the university isn't so quick to condemn the locals as being the source of some of the crimes in the Maynooth Area.

If people want to live together in Maynooth, they need to work together.

And great... I see the mumps are back.

lovely :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Anyone else find this part strange?
    Generally complications are mild but mumps can cause meningitis
    So contracting a potentially fatal disease is a 'mild' complication now? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

^No, you need to work on your English comprehension skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

There's a but there somewhere...

Perhaps using -'but in serious cases'- could have helped to get the point across more clearly.

I failed every single one of my modules last semester. Am in serious sh1t :( Seriously thinking of just giving up at this point...

• Advertisement

Jesus, how did that happen?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement