Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking during pregnancy!

12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

ntlbell wrote: »
    dirty needles don't cause still birth's...

you try the non selective reading...

They do depending on what is on the needle. Stillbirths due to heroin use is usually caused by prenatal withdrawal, not continued use. And poor nutrition.

I did read it non-selectively. I had no opinion on the subject until I discovered that a child I care about was a heroin baby, and then I researched everything I could find on it. And everything I've read based on medicine rather than morality, indicates very little effects from prenatal heroin usage once the baby has passed the withdrawal stage. I was also in the fortunate position to be able to talk with social workers in my old workplace about their experiences.

If further studies are done to refute that I will look into those too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

iguana wrote: »
    They do depending on what is on the needle. Stillbirths due to heroin use is usually caused by prenatal withdrawal, not continued use. And poor nutrition.

I did read it non-selectively. I had no opinion on the subject until I discovered that a child I care about was a heroin baby, and then I researched everything I could find on it. And everything I've read based on medicine rather than morality, indicates very little effects from prenatal heroin usage once the baby has passed the withdrawal stage. I was also in the fortunate position to be able to talk with social workers in my old workplace about their experiences.

If further studies are done to refute that I will look into those too.

I don't think you're reading it at all

Effects of maternal heroin addiction may persist in the offspring for an extended period of time, resulting in poor growth and development (4-6). Behavioral abnormalities, including impaired organization and perception skills, impaired motor inhibition and mental retardation, have been described (1), (3), (7)

heroin addiction, not heroin withdrawl...

now your telling me that a child who has poor growth and development.behavioral abnomaties mental retardation etc won't suffer in the long term?

she also states they haven't been able to test this in later years so right now she says she doesn't know????

so a child who suffers any of the above early on you _really_ belive won't have problems in later life?

seriously? hand on heart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Please take the nitty gritty slugging out ot the medicine and bio board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

pixiestix wrote: »
    nonsense? whatever, i can have my opinions, and for a man to tell me what i do in my pregnancy is nonsense is just pathetic, i would love to see a man go thru what women go thru in pregnancy and childbirth and all the aftercare and breastfeeding, hell, men cant even cope with "man flu" so you can stick your "nonsense" comment right up your wazzoo, and i will sip my ONE glass of wine tonight, happy in the knowledge that the 3 other glasses of wine i had when i was pregnant didn't harm my daughter in any way, shape or form.

Each pregnant woman knows what is and is not good for her, each pregnant woman is totally different, don't condemn someone for something you will never know.

Can I just say that just because a man may not have gone through the harrowing trauma of birth does not mean he doesnt know what he is talking about. If a woman is showing poor judgement (and we are not all saints) then yes I would expect the man/partner or parent of said person to tell them what to do.

if I were doing summer saults after a c-section and told you not to tell me what to do because you had a natural birth and dont know what its like .... you would be right but to poo-poo your sujestion just because you have never had one is imho narrow minded.

Now having an odd glass is not going to declare anyone a bad mother, thats not what im saying. Just because men/wemon who havent had babies dont know what its like doesnt make them wrong.

Advertisement