Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tony Blair is a catholic now.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

he'll go to heaven now:rolleyes:

another coup for the catholic church

he calls himself a Christan ...so does it matter which christan religon he's part of ........why does he feel he has to convert??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Because he feels responsible for the deaths of up to 100,000 or more in Iraq, he needs all the help he can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I just think it so sad that, in this day and age, he felt he couldn't take this step while he was Prime Minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I wonder how many hail marys the priest will give him at the confession box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

As Hilaire Belloc might say

Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
    There’s always laughter and good red wine.
    At least I’ve always found it so.
    Benedicamus Domino!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

philstar wrote: »
    he calls himself a Christan ...so does it matter which christan religon he's part of ........why does he feel he has to convert??

He's obviously endorses the Church's stance on contraception, homosexuality, and female priests. That's good to know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Schuhart wrote: »
    As Hilaire Belloc might say

Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
    There’s always laughter and good red wine.

and child abuse

can't understand why anybody in their right mind would want to be part of religion which has covered up years of clerical abuse and who's leader is stuck in the middle ages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

can't understand why anybody in their right mind would want to be part of religion which has covered up years of clerical abuse and who's leader is stuck in the middle ages
    You know, when you put it like that it actually sounds like a bit of a hoot.

Plus you can get pissed as much as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

A good signing for the Catholics, I heard he's good up the left flank..

sorry, couldn't resist. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭paperclip

and child abuse

There's a difference between the religion itself and the people in it, you know. The truth doesn't change no matter who tells the story.
    One thing we do need to bear in mind is that most of the abuse was done by men who shouldn't have been priests in the first place. A life in the priesthood was seen in those days to be a status symbol and this led to the sad situation we have now. If you think the Church is promoting it in any way, you are gravely mistaken and several priests have been removed from their posts for this reason. What you cannot and must not do is tar all priests with the same feather. There are many wonderful priests out there who are wonderful people and who spend their whole lives working tirelessly for their communities and who really love humanity and bring joy into lives. Frankly, I think we need more of those people around these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

PDN wrote: »
    I just think it so sad that, in this day and age, he felt he couldn't take this step while he was Prime Minister.

He has previously said that to have mentioned anything about his own personal religious beliefs whilst prime minister would have resulted in him being seen as a nutter, so he just kept his head down about the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Personally I do not think this is going to make any difference in the least to Mr Blair, He is only just hopping from one religious institution to another. Mr Blair will only find spiritual satisfaction when he makes that personal commitment to accept Christ into his life irrespective of what church organisation he follows.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

paperclip wrote: »
    There's a difference between the religion itself and the people in it, you know. The truth doesn't change no matter who tells the story.
    One thing we do need to bear in mind is that most of the abuse was done by men who shouldn't have been priests in the first place. A life in the priesthood was seen in those days to be a status symbol and this led to the sad situation we have now. If you think the Church is promoting it in any way, you are gravely mistaken and several priests have been removed from their posts for this reason. What you cannot and must not do is tar all priests with the same feather. There are many wonderful priests out there who are wonderful people and who spend their whole lives working tirelessly for their communities and who really love humanity and bring joy into lives. Frankly, I think we need more of those people around these days.
    What truth I wonder..... like the one about priests not being allowed to marry? Promoting idolatry?...etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭paperclip

izzyflusky wrote: »
    What truth I wonder..... like the one about priests not being allowed to marry? Promoting idolatry?...etc

Priests aren't allowed to marry, that's true, but it's not for some arbitrary reason. A priest's life is a hard and busy one and it was decided that a priest could best serve his parish if he didn't also need to support a family. This also works the other way around-his family would suffer from his not being around. He is 'married' to the Church in the same way that a man is married to his wife and has made that decision to treat the people of his parish as his 'children'. As for idolatry, I'm not sure what you mean by this. Catholics don't revere the statue itself (if that's what you mean), but rather use it as a symbol to focus our physical minds on.

Advertisement