Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Change of Name on Passport

• 29-08-2014 9:48am

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I'm hoping to draw on other trans people's experience ... do I understand correctly that you must be using your new name for at least two years before you can change it on your passport?

From the passport office website:

What documents should I submit with my passport application to get a passport in my new name?

You will need to apply for a new passport. If you are:
    Renewing your passport

You need to submit:
    • Your previous passport
    • Two documents that show you are using your new name, such as your driver's licence, college identification card, school report, social welfare receipts, pay slip, utility bills, bank statements or official correspondence from a public or private sector organisation.
    These examples must date back at least two years from the date you submit your application form.

It seems clear but I guess I just don't want it to be true :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'd phone them. A name change made by deed poll registered with the courts should be immediately enforceable. I would hope that refers to name changes done through use and not through "official means."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

If you intend to have them change the gender marker on your passport also, you'll need to provide supporting evidence for that too, eg letter from psychologist, doctor, etc to say you are transitioning, have been undergoing HRT and/or surgery you've had. But I'd agree with Lyaiera, get them on the phone, there might be a lot of beaurocracy to deal with, but they'll be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think TENI should be able to advise too

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Thanks folks, was just a bit surprised when I read the site. The lady at the Four Courts seemed to think the deed poll wouldn't guarantee anything and told me to just check the website so I saw that. Will check with TENI.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,045 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The position in Irish law is that your name is what you are actually called. If everybody calls you “Jack” then your name is “Jack”, even though it may say “John” on your birth certificate. Or, more likely, you have two names, being called “Jack” in some circumstances, and “John” in others.

Executing a deed poll does not change your name, as a matter of law. Strictly speaking, it’s evidence that your name has changed. It’s a declaration that, although your parents named you George Smith and that’s what’s on your birth certificate, you now use the name George Flynn, and that’s what people call you and it’s what you want to be called.

If, in fact, people still call you George Smyth and nobody calls you George Flynn, then your name is still George Smith. The deed poll, in itself, does nothing to change this.

So, as far as passport applications go, the Dept of Foreign Affairs is being cautious. They are not going to take your word for it that people call you George Flynn, even if your word has been written down and signed before a Commissioner for Oaths and filed in the Central Office of the High Court. It’s still just your unsupported assertion that you use the name George Flynn. Before they will give you a passport with that name on it, they look for more evidence in support of the claimed change of name; either

(a) a marriage cert, civil partnership cert, divorce decree or the like that provides a context within which a change of name is common; or

(b) evidence that you do in fact use the name that you claim to use, and have been using it with some consistency for a couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

I've just been through this, unfortunately the deed poll alone isn't grounds enough for them to reissue your passport in your new name.

They don't insist on the two years but I had to show as much documentation as possible to show I was using my taken name. Emails, post etc etc. It took many trips to the office, Many calls and a lot of emails and stress. So just be prepared, have all your referrals and documentation especially that you have commenced treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

RiseToMe wrote: »
    I've just been through this, unfortunately the deed poll alone isn't grounds enough for them to reissue your passport in your new name.

They don't insist on the two years but I had to show as much documentation as possible to show I was using my taken name. Emails, post etc etc. It took many trips to the office, Many calls and a lot of emails and stress. So just be prepared, have all your referrals and documentation especially that you have commenced treatment.

Did you give them a letter from your doctor that you had transitioned?

Edit: And I made a little step in building a history with my shortened name which is in a gender neutral form, I asked them to issue my new student card in that name.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Did you give them a letter from your doctor that you had transitioned?

Had letters from both my psychiatrist and Psychologist with my diagnosis and my gp and that I was undergoing treatment for full transition and that my "documents and paperwork should reflect this change in recorded gender" and also my deed poll enrolled etc.

If anybody wants more info on how I got mine sorted in the end please feel free to pm me.

Advertisement