Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Box hedging

• 01-08-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Does anyone know where to get decently priced box hedging in bulk (say about 50 plants) in Ireland? I'm looking for 8 inch to 1 foot tall if possible but would settle for 6 inch tall.

Also, what goes well with box hedging in a line? In some formal gardens I have seen the hedge interspersed with dwarf conifers which looks good but I'm looking for something a little less formal. Eventually I'll probably underplant with some campanulas as I like the purple and green combination.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Try one of the nurseries - depending on where you are, of course! http://www.caraghnurseries.ie/ might have what you want, but there are loads around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Wait until November to buy them bare root and you will pay a fraction of the price you'll pay for potted plants. BR are about 50c each and about 7" in height but are lacking in width. A fuller box plant in a 2L pot could cost you 5 euro.

The best place to buy depends where you are - there are nurseries dotted throughout this Island, so you won't be too far from any.

I can't recommend anything to inter-plant with box: I'm a bit of a puritan who thinks it should be just box...

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Hello m0nsterie

Box Hedging will be back in stock by the end of October. Bare root box is great value and you could create an instant hedge for very little cost

Plant box @ 5 plants per metre. Prepare the soil well and add well rotted manure to give plants a boost and best possible start

Box is a very formal plant. But it look great amoungst informal palnting scheme also.
    Some good plants to plant in rows behind your box would include:

Lavender - if you have a sunny spot
    Asplenium - good contrasting evergreen foliage in a shaded spot
    Sage or Stachys - for white foliage which forms a lovely contrast to box

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

just be careful with the box hedging ,have seen a few friends loose theirs to box blight .even monty on gardeners world on bbc2 lost a lot of his last year and had to pull the whole lot out and burn every bit of it.not sure what can be done to stop limit the blight but I have seen this stuff on scalp wood nursery in kilternan called health mix http://scalpwood.com/sundries-compost-content ... may help keep the box in tip top condition

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

Thanks guys. I'll wait til November so, and will prep the area now so it gets a good start.

• Advertisement
Advertisement