Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sikken oil based Varnish for timber posts for outdoor porch

Options
  • 18-11-2014 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

we had 2 posts/brackets made recently by local joiner to go in an outdoor porch and they will effectively hold up the porch roof. so i needed to varnish them or whatever to seal them against rain etc..
    local paint shop recommended Sikkens oil based varnish. Cetol HLS plus as a base coat - did 2 coats of this in pine stain but we did not like the colour so we decided to use the Ebony/black colour for the top coat (Filter 7 pot). Guy in shop said this would be fine to go for black for the top coat.
    So last Thursday I gave it the first coat of the black topcoat and last night it still wasnt fully dry! its sticky to touch! I have it in the house with heat on but for some reason it isnt drying! decided to give it another coat last night before went to bed - this morning it was still very wet like id just done it! have a fan and heater on it now but still not drying out. Also worried the black is not really coming through - looks like it will need 6/7 coats to get the black finish we expect but the carpenter needs it on Saturday to put it up!
    Anyone ever used this stuff??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Did it come with a hardener? If not, it'll never set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

fussyonion wrote: »
    Did it come with a hardener? If not, it'll never set.

Number. Hardener was never mentioned. I went back to shop and was given sandolin to try instead.just put on first coat so fingers crossed this one will dry in next 24hrs

still not drying. it definately has something to do with the base coat. tried top coat on another piece of timber and it dried no problem! going to have to sand it all back again and start again. would ronseal woodstain do the job any reckon? it is oil based or water based?

You should have been given hardener. It's never going to set without it!

fussyonion wrote: »
    You should have been given hardener. It's never going to set without it!

Really?? I looked up the stuff online and saw no mention of a hardener. I did notice they only recommend 1coat of base and I was told two. And then 2 of the top coat
    Anyways I popped to woodies and got some ronseal woodstain that's water based. Hubbie us currently sanding it all back and we'll try the ronseal tonight

• Advertisement

Make sure he washes the timber down after he's sanded it..wash it with a cloth and white spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

not sure why hardener is being mentioned with these products

i have used cetol hls and filter 7 before

the thing is to give approx 24hrs between quotes

dont use the ronseal....waste of money
    all outdoor wood needs to be treated with oil based

maybe the. cetol hls is out of date?

yea been to a few places now and none of them mentioned a hardener.
    wasnt as lucky im afraid with the Sikkens - had to ditch it in the end. after 2 coats of the cetol HLS and 1 coat of Filter 7 (more than 24hrs in between coats) i left it for 4 days and it just wasnt drying out - even with a fan and heater blowing at it. must check the expiry on the stuff cos it was a complete disaster for me. its like the cetol HLS and filter 7 reacted to each other. i was putting the filter 7 on in black and i reckon i would have needed 7 coats to get the finish we wanted!

Ronseal did the job - I had no choice in the end but to go with it, I needed it ready for carpenter and the oil based stuff just wasn't drying for me! 2 weeks i was at it and night before carpenter need it we had to sand it all back and start again!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

sorry to hear you had issues with the Sikkens products....I used it on my previous deck and also on a log cabin and it dried with no issues

The Ronseal will look ok for the time being but the issue with using water based is that it just sits on the wood. Eventually it will peel and slight cracks will appear in it and the water will get underneath and just start to peel

The HLS is also fine as a woodstain, you dont actually need the HLS.
    HLS from what I can see has a UV protection filter in it like sun screen and gives the finish more of a satin finish than what you would have had with just the HLS on its own

Advertisement