Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susi Grant Appeal

• 23-06-2015 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi. My brother and I are both going to college. I'm getting the lower grant and he is getting the higher grant, can someone explain how this works?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sambucus nigra

Hi. My brother and I are both going to college. I'm getting the lower grant and he is getting the higher grant, can someone explain how this works?

You'll have to clarify what you mean by higher/lower grant. Do you mean adjacent/non-adjacent? Or Special Rate v 100% Maintenance v 75% Maintenance v 50% Maintenance v 25% Maintenance v No Maintenance?

http://susi.ie/under-graduate-income-thresholds-and-grant-award-rates/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

If your brother is attending a college that is 45 km or more from his place of residence, then he will get a non adjacent rate of grant.

You question can have many outcomes, as previously mentioned in the last post,did he get a different rate of grant.

Also questions that need answers to further answer your question.
    Do you or your brother have income?
    Do you both live at the same address?
    Are your parents incomes taken into account on both applications?
    How far are the colleges from your place of ordinary residency?
    Is either of you in receipt of a social welfare payment? If yes, what payment?

There a many things that can a grant rate/type different and there for more information is required to answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AppleBanana

Sup08 wrote: »
    If your brother is attending a college that is 45 km or more from his place of residence, then he will get a non adjacent rate of grant.

You question can have many outcomes, as previously mentioned in the last post,did he get a different rate of grant.

Also questions that need answers to further answer your question.
    Do you or your brother have income?
    Do you both live at the same address?
    Are your parents incomes taken into account on both applications?
    How far are the colleges from your place of ordinary residency?
    Is either of you in receipt of a social welfare payment? If yes, what payment?

There a many things that can a grant rate/type different and there for more information is required to answer your question.

Neither of us have an income
    We both live at the same address.
    Both parents income have been taken into account.
    We go to the same college so its the same distance.
    We are pretty much at the 45km mark its touch and go.
    He is in first and i'm in second year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Neither of us have an income
    We both live at the same address.
    Both parents income have been taken into account.
    We go to the same college so its the same distance.
    We are pretty much at the 45km mark its touch and go.
    He is in first and i'm in second year

Ok. Then it sounds like a mix up in the distance to the college in both your applications.
    You can contact SUSI and ask them to review your application.
    You can be successful in obtaining a better grant for yourself this year and last year if you did not get it last year but you also run the risk of your brother getting his grant reduced.
    I would ask for the review, because if your brother is reassessed next year and found to be over paid, SUSI will request back the overpayment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'd be careful before making the appeal. They might find out they overpayed your brother and ask for the money back, just make sure you are entitled to the same sum as him and he's not being overpayed

• Advertisement
Advertisement