Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people still eat dairy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FluffTheDog

Jesus wept.

Great contribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Protein is a non-issue really. The world health organisation says 5% of calories from protein is enough. So unless you're undereating, there's no way you wouldn't get enough.

A non issue once your most strenuous exercise is tree hugging maybe:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

If Dr John McDougall is your source for information I don't hold out much hope for you OP.
    This is the same Dr John McDougall who reckoned Steve Jobs had pancreatic cancer since his 20s, but kept it quiet and lived for so long with it because of his vegan diet. I'm going to say that is grade A bulls*it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Did ya know that oranges give you cancer?

See, their orange colour tries to warn us. It's a no-brainer that citric acid and fructose is bad for us. Source.

Actually I just made all that BS up and that "source" is garbage. Move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,348 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

ford2600 wrote: »
    A non issue once your most strenuous exercise is tree hugging maybe:D

Wouldn't be squatting 100kg fecking celery sticks that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,118 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Love a big chunk of butter on my spuds.
    Love cold milk.
    Love certain yogurts.
    Love all kinds of cheese.
    Love ice-cream.

Everything in moderation is the key. (except for my steaks which I like big and cooked medium).

Love a big chunk of butter on my spuds.
    Love cold milk.
    Love certain yogurts.
    Love all kinds of cheese.
    Love ice-cream.

Everything in moderation is the key. (except for my steaks which I like big and cooked medium).

I tried to do moderation. Turns out I couldn't stop thinking about food while doing things "in moderation". Moderation is boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I tried to do moderation. Turns out I couldn't stop thinking about food while doing things "in moderation". Moderation is boring.

Righttt.... And going to extremes is much healthier

papu wrote: »
    Righttt.... And going to extremes is much healthier

What extremes? My anaemia, asthma and ibs are things of the past now because of a simple dietary change. Hardly extreme at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

What extremes? My anaemia, asthma and ibs are things of the past now because of a simple dietary change. Hardly extreme at all!

Anemia and asthma disappearing due to reduction in dairy intake?

Just... think about that for a moment.

"All that milk was making my bronchioles super sensitive."

"I have so much iron in my blood now since I don't eat cheese"

Hmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

That's interesting...

http://thorax.bmj.com/content/58/7/567.short
    http://www.nature.com/nri/journal/v10/n12/abs/nri2871.html
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2222.2006.02640.x/full

With regard to the anemia, how much milk did you used to drink? It must have been excessive to cause anemia?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

I must say this has to b the daftest thing I have read all day. what an odd thing to say.. even that women or the female of the species produce milk to feed their young does that not tell you that is it something completely natural and that it is good for you.. Just because you have issues with it does not really make it a wrong thing to eat..

whats wrong with most of it is that there is too much messing around with it..Like you see all these fancy milks like extra vitamins low fat blah blah blah.. Back in the day milk was milk and you drank it, then they started messing with it taking things out of it to make it as they so call it healthier then people got deficiencies from lake of vitamin d and so on, makes you think stop messing with a perfectly natural product..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

This is marvellous. A change in diet resulted in health benefits for the OP but now us weirdos who drink milk from another mammal should really be exiled to Sodom or Gomorrah.

This is marvellous. A change in diet resulted in health benefits for the OP but now us weirdos who drink milk from another mammal should really be exiled to Sodom or Gomorrah.

You're very narrow minded.

Milly33 wrote: »
    I must say this has to b the daftest thing I have read all day. what an odd thing to say.. even that women or the female of the species produce milk to feed their young does that not tell you that is it something completely natural and that it is good for you.. Just because you have issues with it does not really make it a wrong thing to eat..

whats wrong with most of it is that there is too much messing around with it..Like you see all these fancy milks like extra vitamins low fat blah blah blah.. Back in the day milk was milk and you drank it, then they started messing with it taking things out of it to make it as they so call it healthier then people got deficiencies from lake of vitamin d and so on, makes you think stop messing with a perfectly natural product..

"their young" being the key words in that comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Unless you are capable of drinking milk, in which case it can be for you too. The reason it stays to "their young" in other species is because they develop an intolerance. Most humans don't, therefore there is nothing wrong with drinking milk, be it from a cow or goat or where ever else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

And the vegetables grow themselves solely to be eaten by you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Summation of thread so far:
    Argument against: It's another animal's breast milk.

Argument for: Yeah, so what? It tastes unreal and has a decent macronutrient profile.

Argument against: It's another animal's breast milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Really? You don't think it's weird to drink breast milk from another animal? Milk that is obviously made for that animals offspring?

Considering that I'll probably eat it's offspring a few months later, no. No I do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah jaysus come off it read up on it, even when you click into wiki all it says straight off is it is good. It is the most natural thing in the world... People survive on it look at some of the people in third world most survice on just their mothers breast milk because they cant afford food.. sorry now have to say it Your just mad so you are in a nice way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

are you related to DORIS300.......:D
    "Obnoxious conservative opinion. ''I drank it all my life and I'm fine''. If you got anally raped by a someone everyday for your life you'd have the same view on it as dairy. ''Well yeah people have always done so why should we stop now''.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You're very narrow minded.

:D

Despite having no problem with dairy or anyone drinking it?

Being narrow minded has obviously been redefined.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Milk is awesome (if you tolerate it).

It's a really nutrient dense food. I was trying to make a nutritionally complete diet from the fewest possible foods for fun recently (yeah, I have a weird definition of fun) and the easiest way to make that happen was to include milk.

Came down to:

1.5 litres milk
    1.5 litres orange juice
    50g calves liver
    1 cup spinach

Prob a bit low on fiber, vit d and polyphenols etc but couple more veggies and a bit of sun sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Do you eat honey OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Milk is awesome (if you tolerate it).

It's a really nutrient dense food. I was trying to make a nutritionally complete diet from the fewest possible foods for fun recently (yeah, I have a weird definition of fun) and the easiest way to make that happen was to include milk.

Came down to:

1.5 litres milk
    1.5 litres orange juice
    50g calves liver
    1 cup spinach

Prob a bit low on fiber, vit d and polyphenols etc but couple more veggies and a bit of sun sort that out.

Would low fat milk be better?

Find that easier with digestion.

:D

Despite having no problem with dairy or anyone drinking it?

Being narrow minded has obviously been redefined.

I don't have a problem with anyone drinking it. All I'm doing is questioning it. Unlike a lot of people who just drink it because that's what has always been done.

yimrsg wrote: »
    Do you eat honey OP?

No. It has stomach acid in it from the bees because of the regurgitation process, so it's not good for teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Thisname

Human beings originally ate plant food-fruits, veggies, seeds, nuts etc. It's what we were designed to eat and is the healthiest diet. People have cured themselves of diseases like cancer, arthritis etc just by radically changing their diet.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

No. It has stomach acid in it from the bees because of the regurgitation process, so it's not good for teeth.

50eb9db744ec3fbd8ca7f1a449309eb5eac7a2109c27d9ed9fee5cdc7f0c9dff.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Thisname wrote: »
    Human beings originally ate plant food-fruits, veggies, seeds, nuts etc. It's what we were designed to eat and is the healthiest diet. People have cured themselves of diseases like cancer, arthritis etc just by radically changing their diet.

And to think a doctor would recommend chemo for cancer :rolleyes:

Human being are onminvores. We have incisors to rip animal flesh apart. Next please.

Advertisement