Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it time to end Dublin`s stranglehold on the rest of the country?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/200m-for-high-speed-internet-because-poor-broadband-cost-us-jobs-pat-rabbitte-3215353.html

MAJOR jobs investments have been lost because of sub-standard broadband in some parts of the country, Communications Minister Pat Rabbitte said today.

Mr Rabbitte was speaking at the launch of the Government's national broadband plan, which will see investment of around €200m in high speed internet around the country over the next three years.

Mr Rabbitte said it is a crucial aspect of economic recovery, and said he had been told by the IDA of companies who had decided against investing in Ireland because of below par broadband.

"I have been informed by the IDA that it is a factor that has been decisive in certain instances."

He also described the roll out of high speed internet as the "rural electrification of the 21st century."

Relevant to this thread.

I wonder if the investment was lost to the country, or simply lost to infra-structurally barren areas?

Anyone know how these figures would have been deduced?

* I'm purposely ignoring the fact that we seem to have a new national broadband plan every 3 months ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Relevant to this thread.

I wonder if the investment was lost to the country, or simply lost to infra-structurally barren areas?

* I'm purposely ignoring the fact that we seem to have a new national broadband plan every 3 months ;)

The article specifies lost to Ireland, so it's fair to say it's not just Mayo or Donegal that they decided not to invest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Just back from a week in Hungary. I was in Budapest for a weekend once before a number of years ago but never ventured further out. This time I was staying with Hungarians for the most part as my GF has Hungarian relatives and they put us up.

Hungary is demographically and Geographically (surprisingly) similar to Ireland: one capital city near the edge of the country with a population of 2 million or so and no other city with a population coming anywhere close to that (200k I think is the next biggest, Debrecen).

All main roads lead to Budapest and Budapest itself has an incomplete orbital motorway (sound familiar?). The major difference I found in Hungary was that Budapest itself is not starved of required infrastructure, nor does there seem to be any "hatred" of the capital. The Hungarians appear pragmatic: they know Budapest is the engine of their small economy and seem ok with the fact that Budapest constinues to expand its metro and integrate its suburban rail lines (and continues to develop its orbital).

Budapest has 3 metro lines (4th under construction), numerous suburban (DART type) lines, tram lines, trolley buses and ordinary buses, all integrated wrt ticketing anmd fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

murphaph wrote: »
    Just back from a week in Hungary. I was in Budapest for a weekend once before a number of years ago but never ventured further out. This time I was staying with Hungarians for the most part as my GF has Hungarian relatives and they put us up.

Hungary is demographically and Geographically (surprisingly) similar to Ireland: one capital city near the edge of the country with a population of 2 million or so and no other city with a population coming anywhere close to that (200k I think is the next biggest, Debrecen).

All main roads lead to Budapest and Budapest itself has an incomplete orbital motorway (sound familiar?). The major difference I found in Hungary was that Budapest itself is not starved of required infrastructure, nor does there seem to be any "hatred" of the capital. The Hungarians appear pragmatic: they know Budapest is the engine of their small economy and seem ok with the fact that Budapest constinues to expand its metro and integrate its suburban rail lines (and continues to develop its orbital).

Budapest has 3 metro lines (4th under construction), numerous suburban (DART type) lines, tram lines, trolley buses and ordinary buses, all integrated wrt ticketing anmd fares.

Part of the problem is that Hungarian identity has been built around Budapest (just as French identity is largely built around Paris) but in Irish identity Dublin has always been suspect, as alien, Protestant, Jewish, Anglophone, Anglo-Irish, liberal...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Hawkeye123 wrote: »
    The Dublin government love to spin statistical data. A pig called Squealer played a similar role the the Orwellian classic Animal Farm. Truth and spin are two very different things, even if the spin appears to be supported by statistical data. Very often statistics are commissioned and selected for the very purpose of supporting a particular spin doctrine.

It is however true that the Dublin government would love the rest of the country to think that Dublin in some way contributes more than it takes. However, even the Dubs do not believe that, if they did they would demand their own independent republic. That way everything the Dubs generate they keep and everything the rest of the country generates - it would keep. The reason the Dubs will never seek their own autonomy is because they would run out of resources within 24 hours.

The Shannon region have every right to capitalize on their resources. If the Dubs want water from the Shannon let them pay for it. If the Dubs want oil and gas from the Western and Southern seaboards, let them pay the regions in the west and south - and let them do so through taxing their own people not the people of the west and south.

One final point, mass privatization across the entire public sector/civil service would save the 25 counties which are beyond the pale from having to pay billions to those within it.
    Are you suggesting all of oireland declare war on..... the rest of oireland?
    And someone already said your attitude is unusual - but imho you aren't at all unusual. A lot of people who like GAA-FF have the same attitude, a form of hate of every county (and sometimes villages) which is not their own. But it's always good to be remided of the lack of true nationalism and pride Irish people have. We are way to easy to divide and conquer. :(

murphaph wrote: »

Didn't Budapest have the first underground in Europe? Sure some of the people in Ireland wouldn't be happy unless the starving dubs we were wading to work knee deep in sewage while calling out for cappucino's.

No don't have a capital to be proud of, have an absolute sh1thole that can be seen and laughed at from orbit. Now don't get me wrong, I do think th Dublin planners went insane putting all manner of decorations on the sides of roads then digging them up and redoing the decorations over and over again. How many times was O'Connell street totally revamped since '90 ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

I'd expect the sad news is hinted at by your footnote. I'd expect there is no real analysis behind that statement. It's just the kind of thing that a Minister spouts while announcing an aspirational plan.

I'd also suggest that we need to temper this linkage of infrastructure/no infrastructure = jobs/no jobs. As some have pointed out elsewhere, Dublin Airport saw its highest passenger numbers when it had pretty awful facilities. Now that it actually has the physical capacity to take more people, its just about holding its own.

And for all that time, there was plenty of capacity in Shannon Airport; it actually had the infrastructure, and not Dublin. The political structure favoured Shannon - as people are pointing out, the location of Government in Dublin does nothing for Dublin. Our politics are run by people from the regions. The Mid-West region even has a decentralised development agency, so there's really no way that the failure of the Mid-West to produce sustainable development can be laid on the door of Dublin.

I think we have to recall that quite a lot of the property bust had to do with actions aimed at driving investment into regional areas. In particular, the Upper Shannon Rural Renewal Scheme accounts for a quite disproportionate amount of ghost estates. I think there's quite a high level of denial in claims that lack of investment holds back the regions. Very large investments have been made. They just haven't generated any returns.

Also, infrastructure in the regions isn't really so awful anymore. Nor, for that matter, is congestion in Dublin a particular issue. Public transport in the city has improved immensely over the last two decades. Not perfect, maybe. But good enough. I really feel this urban/rural split involve quite a lot of cant. Particularly, as the immediate issue is simply to improve national economic performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

goose2005 wrote: »
    Part of the problem is that Hungarian identity has been built around Budapest (just as French identity is largely built around Paris) but in Irish identity Dublin has always been suspect, as alien, Protestant, Jewish, Anglophone, Anglo-Irish, liberal...
    Good grief, I really think you need to pick up a book or two on Hungarian or French history as what you've just come out with is factually nonsense.

The problem is largely a chicken and egg scenario, in my mind. Population density in Ireland is concentrated in the metropolitan Dublin area (39% of the Republic's population) and, has been pointed out, Ireland has a particularly centralized government system.

It's easy to see why the former is so; I grew up in Dublin, but went to school in Wexford. The latter had bizarre demographics in the 80's, with practically nobody around between the ages of 18 and 40 - the moment you finished school you left and went to Dublin.

After all, there was little work, no industry to speak of, and what businesses that were around tended to be family owned, with few possibility for career progression unless you were a member of that family.

During the boom, I saw people move out to the country and who genuinely preferred living there, but the moment they lost their jobs, they were in trouble; either they were faced with long commutes (one ended commuting from Killarney to Cork every day when he had to get a new job) or return to Dublin.

Certainly there's less infrastructure in such places, but TBH it's difficult to justify infrastructure for such low population density and infrastructure is not going to magically create jobs - at best it may encourage them, but on its own, won't get far. Lot's of cheap broadband is not going to mean people will move to an area populated largely by sheep, or entice a company to move in when it's going to have problems convincing people to move there.

The attempt to diffuse government across Ireland was a noble attempt to partially rebalance things, but ultimately it was badly handled - it should have been a long term plan whereby new state workers, employed from the start outside Dublin, gradually moved the centre of government departments outside Dublin as the older ones retired.

So overall we have a vicious circle where economic conditions cannot support a greater population and the population cannot support better economic conditions. Chicken and egg.

Allowing fiscal autonomy could work, in that each county could set their own taxes and spending so as to attract investment. However, I doubt rural politics has the maturity for such power - we are talking about where the worst excesses of 'parish pump' politics take place in Ireland and where people still re-elect discredited and corrupt politicians on a regular basis. This is one of the problems with low populations; it's easier to have a direct connection to politicians, allowing for greater nod-and-wink corruption.

As things stand, I suspect they would just piss it all away on populist white elephants before coming back to Dublin to be bailed out, just as happened in Spain.

So overall, until this culture is reformed, local autonomy would likely be a failure. But to reform this culture you would need to get past the 'anti-Jackeen' culture that often permeates outside Dublin, as this would likely be seen as an imposition - just as these criticisms are likely to be seen as just Dub arrogance.
    Didn't Budapest have the first underground in Europe?
    Second after London, I think; the oldest line still has a very much Victorian feeling about it - only a few meters underground, claustrophobic with short, small trains.
    No don't have a capital to be proud of, have an absolute sh1thole that can be seen and laughed at from orbit.
    Dublin (like the rest of Ireland) has suffered largely from incompetence, corruption and lack of political will. There's plenty of examples of this; Todd Andrews closing down the urban rail system in the sixties is one.

Dublin Bus is another excellent case in point as it is without a shadow of a doubt (having lived in numerous European countries) the worst urban public transport company I have ever encountered - that integrated ticketing is only now being introduced (30+ years after the rest of Europe) is indicative of this, just as we were the last to introduce driver only buses (in the nineties). The root of this has always been the unions, who have never been seriously challenged by the government to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

just as we were the last to introduce driver only buses (in the nineties). The root of this has always been the unions, who have never been seriously challenged by the government to this day.

What other kind of buses where there? Serious question here!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    What other kind of buses where there? Serious question here!
    There used to be conductors on the buses until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

There used to be conductors on the buses until then.

Ah right I don't remember them, must have been gone by time I started using buses proper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Ah right I don't remember them, must have been gone by time I started using buses proper.
    They were there until around the mid-90s from what I can remember. I've no doubt the people on the Commuting and Transport forum will be more helpful if you're interested in exact dates :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 whiskey_bar

goose2005 wrote: »

dublin is not especially protestant ( wicklow , monaghan , have a much larger percentage ) and the jewish population has always been miniscule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

dublin is not especially protestant ( wicklow , monaghan , have a much larger percentage ) and the jewish population has always been miniscule
    I've a feeling the point is more the view sometimes presented of Dublin. But you are absolutely correct. The bulk of the population of Dublin is descended from people who have moved there since Independence. Protestant Dublin emigrated after independence.

Independence brought with it a vision of a rural Irish-speaking Catholic society. Cities in general, and Dublin in particular, were things to be prevented. There is, sometimes, something of an overhang of that view still.

Advertisement