Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"We can rebuild her!"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

So did you get the new crib sorted?

Yup, put the deposit down this evening and I'm moving in at the bank holiday weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Nice to finally chat with ya for a bit today.

See you for the 10 miler.

remember - Brians gets NO couch.

Get in line mate, foreign guests take preference!!

Get in line mate, foreign guests take preference!!

Fight to the death, that's something people from Limerick should be familiar with :pac:

Last night involved lots of stretching, as flexibility was on my schedule. Tonight was 45 minutes easy - did 7.32km / 4.55 miles @ 9.54/mile average pace. Legs felt alright generally, mind wasn't there at all tonight. Starting to get very frustrated at how much fitness I've lost over the last while (generally about 30s/mile slower for a given effort than I was about 4-6 months ago) and I think that's starting to get to me a little bit. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

You need to move in from the sticks, and live near a huge park in the middle of town so training is less drama :cool:

• Advertisement

You need to move in from the sticks, and live near a huge park in the middle of town so training is less drama :cool:
    Funny you should say that :pac::cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Somewhere like Dublin 8 - all the worlds coolest people hail from Dublin 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Last night involved lots of stretching, as flexibility was on my schedule. Tonight was 45 minutes easy - did 7.32km / 4.55 miles @ 9.54/mile average pace. Legs felt alright generally, mind wasn't there at all tonight. Starting to get very frustrated at how much fitness I've lost over the last while (generally about 30s/mile slower for a given effort than I was about 4-6 months ago) and I think that's starting to get to me a little bit. :mad:

Your easy runs are not for running quick. Would prefer to see it translate in race results and you will once we get some consistent miles into you. Remember 4 months ago you were coming to the end of marathon block training so you obviously were in best shape of your life aerobically. We will get you back there

Need to be getting myself a bike soon too. Gonna x-post this (non-running-related) from the cycling forum in case anyone has words of wisdom:
    Currently looking at:

Giant Avail
    Felt ZW95
    Trek Lexa
    Specialized Dolce (slightly more expensive, but pretty :D )

Anything that stands out there? Also, most of my commuting is going to be city centre-based, and leisure cycling in the Phoenix Park. Apart from a really, really good lock, what will I need gear-wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Need to be getting myself a bike soon too. Gonna x-post this (non-running-related) from the cycling forum in case anyone has words of wisdom:

To cycle a mile and a half to work is it, why? You can have my old bike for free. I only got it brand new a month before i took the London job.

If your using it for training well thats a different story.

• Advertisement

To cycle a mile and a half to work is it, why? You can have my old bike for free. I only got it brand new a month before i took the London job.

If your using it for training well thats a different story.

The plan would be to use it for a bit of cross-training, yeah. If your old bike is going in the meantime though that would be handy.

8am sports massage today - needed to be done just to loosen up a few things.

Specialized bike because they are so pretty and it's the best one there. You can get good entry level bikes for about €500 - cycleways have an amazing looking specialized for around that - or they did a while ago anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

I have the Avail, a nice bike for the money, although that Specialized looks very nice. Got mine through the cycle 2 work scheme and I got a helmet, rain-gear, lights, locks & a pump with it. Got padded shorts later on, made life a lot more comfortable :)

Recovery run this evening - 2.8 miles, no idea of pace/times because I forgot to charge my Garmin and the battery ran out after about 5 minutes. D'oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Recovery run this evening - 2.8 miles, no idea of pace/times because I forgot to charge my Garmin and the battery ran out after about 5 minutes. D'oh!

Did you feel liberated without it?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Did you feel liberated without it?

Not really! Kinda like having my data...

</nerd>

Planned for today: 20 mins easy, 3x 5 min tempo with 2 min recovery, 20 min easy. Did the tempo segments on grass... horribly cold and wet and probably made the session harder than it was meant to be. Also managed to feck up the timing, hit "stop" instead of "lap" at the start of my second tempo interval and missed about the first 3 mins of it! Overall distance covered (when the distance covered that my Garmin missed is factored in) 9.3km / 5.8 miles. Assuming that the 3 missed minutes were at 5 min/km pace (which is consistent with the other intervals), average pace for the session was 9.55/mile (due to second 20 minute easy run being closer to recovery pace because I have bog all energy on Thursday nights :mad: ).

Tonight's run was planned as 45 minutes easy. It ended up being 9 minutes easy. :eek:

Note to self: If one of your good sports bras is on the line, just put it on damp. The old stretched out one at the bottom of your running gear drawer will be the cause of much discomfort. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Ouch :eek: not good. Nothing worse :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

eck02.gif :pac:

Planned for today - 30 mins steady with strides. Ended up throwing on a little bit more than the specified 30 minutes anyway. Total distance covered 6.56km / 4.08 miles, average pace 9.30/mile. I like strides, they always make you feel really good right at the end of the run. :)

Planned 1 hour easy for today. Did 10.02km / 6.23 miles @ 9.47/mile average pace. Felt like a bit more effort than it should have, tbh - this doesn't bode well for next Monday! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Planned 1 hour easy for today. Did 10.02km / 6.23 miles @ 9.47/mile average pace. Felt like a bit more effort than it should have, tbh - this doesn't bode well for next Monday! :eek:

Why? What's happening today?
    Sounds like you are doing great though...

Bay 10k next Monday. Am not in good shape for it at all!

You might surprise yourself. Sometimes races have a funny way of forcing you to pull something out of the bag you never knew was there.

Don't be so negative. :pac:

You might surprise yourself. Sometimes races have a funny way of forcing you to pull something out of the bag you never knew was there.

Don't be so negative. :pac:

Meh, got feck all to lose anyway. The race will tell me a lot in terms of where my fitness is at right now - though I'm not sure if I *really* want to know that! :eek:

Plan for tonight - 30 mins easy + flexibility. Did 5.11km / 3.17 miles @ 9.50/mile average pace, enjoyed that. :) Average HR 163, note to self: dampen the damn HRM strap, spikes skew the average on shorter runs...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

You're so consistent with your training. It will stand to you. Did you get someone to pick up your number for Bay 10k? PM me if you want me to pick it up for you. I just moved house in June. Its hard work!

• Advertisement

dolliemix wrote: »
    You're so consistent with your training. It will stand to you. Did you get someone to pick up your number for Bay 10k? PM me if you want me to pick it up for you. I just moved house in June. Its hard work!

It's sorted, but thanks for the offer, I really do appreciate it :)

Moving on Sunday, then racing on Monday and (hopefully) later a few drinks to celebrate and chill out. Tbh I'm just hoping for a block of nice, boring, consistent training for the next while and then have a really good crack at the Rathfarnham 5k in late September and a few other autumn races.

Advertisement