Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you help me with my starting to work out questions?

Options
  • 18-02-2014 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Question, I want to start this work out:
    http://www.mensfitness.com/training/lose-weight/the-anti-cardio-workout?page=2

Whats the difference between the dumbell bench press and the Single-arm Floor Press ?

Can i do the Chest-Supported Dumbbell Row without a bench?

Lastly, would protein powder be of any use to me?, just starting?

I tried a bit of the workout today, it was fine except i wasnt sure about these things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

maxitwist wrote: »
    Question, I want to start this work out:
    http://www.mensfitness.com/training/lose-weight/the-anti-cardio-workout?page=2

Whats the difference between the dumbell bench press and the Single-arm Floor Press ?

Can i do the Chest-Supported Dumbbell Row without a bench?

Lastly, would protein powder be of any use to me?, just starting?

I tried a bit of the workout today, it was fine except i wasnt sure about these things.

Bench press is deeper. With floor press the floor stops your arms from going back too far.

You can row without a bench, yes.

Protein powder is just dried milk really. If you can get enough protein from your diet do that, if not use a supplement. Have you worked out what you should be eating yet?

That workout is not great. Consider stronglifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭ninjabox

If you want to gain muscle you need to eat enough protein and calories. Try and get 1 - 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
    Also for calculating you calories this is a good page.

Try and get your protein from natural sources as much as possible, most protein bars and shakes are muck. - The reason I said this is because they have additives like maltodextrin, artificial sweeteners, soy protein (can cause digestive and hormone problems), alcohol sugars, taurine etc.

ninjabox wrote: »
    If you want to gain muscle you need to eat enough protein and calories. Try and get 1 - 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body fat.

Try and get your protein from natural sources as much as possible, most protein bars and shakes are muck.

Shakes aren't muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Try and get your protein from natural sources as much as possible, most protein bars and shakes are muck.

Most protein shakes (as opposed to bulk, gainer, etc) are more bioavailability that most whole food protein sources. There's not a lot in it, but they aren't muck, nutritionally speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

If you want to gain muscle you need to eat enough protein and calories. Try and get 1 - 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body fat.

Some extra advice would be not to listen to anyone who tells you need 1 - 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body FAT or sends you to bodybuilding.com (a supplement site) for information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Protein powder is just dried milk really.

Eh, not really. It's derived from milk, but it's not just dried milk. Milk has about 3.5g of protein per 100g. Dried milk has about 25g. Protein shakes usually have around 80g. So literally more than three times more concentrated than dried milk.

OP: The most important thing right now is to get comfortable doing a workout on a regular basis and having a healthy diet (the latter being far more important if you are trying to lose fat). Protein shakes are a good way to add extra protein to your diet to maximise your muscle gain from working out, but that should really be your last priority starting out.

Some extra advice would be not to listen to anyone who tells you need 1 - 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body FAT or sends you to bodybuilding.com (a supplement site) for information.

That's clearly a typo, and that forum post is fine.
    Zillah wrote: »
    Eh, not really. It's derived from milk, but it's not just dried milk. Milk has about 3.5g of protein per 100g. Dried milk has about 25g. Protein shakes usually have around 80g. So literally more than three times more concentrated than dried milk..

I wasn't referring to the protein content, i was more talking about how protein powder is just food, rather than a drug or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

That's clearly a typo, and that forum post is fine.

I wasn't referring to the protein content, i was more talking about how protein powder is just food, rather than a drug or anything.

Something which is seemingly ingrained in the way the uninformed think. A protein shake is not something you "do" or are "on" like a drug.

A protein shake is a food. Akin to dried milk. A high quality protein source. Which is a good way to get additional protein into your diet with minimal calories if you are unable to eat the required amount through your regular diet.

The perpetuation that shakes are something you do if you're exercising needs to be curbed.

I had a conversation with a friend a while ago. About his weight loss.
    I asked him what his diet was like.
    It is good. But he also takes a protein shake before he goes running for energy (his words).
    Showing a complete lack of understanding about his food consumption. If he just took 5 minutes to change the way he thinks about his food and not take unnecessary supplements then he would get his goals easier.

Something which is seemingly ingrained in the way the uninformed think. A protein shake is not something you "do" or are "on" like a drug.

My mother still occasionally asks me if I'm "still on those shakes", and has previously expressed a number of vague fears about how bad they are for me without being able to express any reason why. It's whey, ma.

My mother still occasionally asks me if I'm "still on those shakes", and has previously expressed a number of vague fears about how bad they are for me without being able to express any reason why. It's whey, ma.

It could cause you to fail a drug test!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Yeah. That's exactly the problem, severe lack of knowledge of what food is and how we use it.

Not sure when exactly it stopped being a common meal but our grandparents certainly would have eaten curds and whey, same thing. If it's good enough for miss muffet then it's good enough for me. She eventually scared the spider away with massive gains.

Pretty sure cottage cheese is one step removed from plain curds and whey.

I'm not 100% on the cheese making process but you get done with harder cheeses. Scoop off the goo that's cottage cheese. If that gets processed one more time you end up with the liquid whey. Dry it and inject it directly into the muscle for massive mass increase. That's why doctors and trainers hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Snort a line of it the next time you go home.

Snort a line of it the next time you go home.

I'll scatter a bunch of half-empty MyProtein bags around the room, smear some around my nose and face, leave a few piles and lines on the coffee table, and then lie 'unconscious' in the middle of it all and wait for her to walk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'll scatter a bunch of half-empty MyProtein bags around the room, smear some around my nose and face, leave a few piles and lines on the coffee table, and then lie 'unconscious' in the middle of it all and wait for her to walk in.

For added effect, get a red resistance band and tie it around your arm, above the elbow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Was having pints with the rest of the team after training. One of the boys mentioned how one of the local lads had gotten a lot bigger lately,then the tallest, skinniest, most hunched over lad you'll ever set eyes said 'He's on that whey stuff....HE'LL NOT BE AS BIG WHEN HIS COCK FALLS OFF!'

No word of a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maxitwist

What kind of equipment do you have access to? Do you go to a gym?

Just dumbells and a kettle bell, and the floor.
    I decided to instead start this workout, as i dont have the bench needed for that
    [link name=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOQLVO9wiFA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOQLVO9wiFA[/link]

It is composed of
    1.Chest Press- 3 Sets X 12 -15 Reps
    2.Dumbbell Rows - 3 sets X 12-15 Reps
    3.Squat,Bicep Curl and Shoulder Press - 3 setsX 12-15 Reps
    4.Alternate Dumbbell Curl - 3 sets X 12 -15 Reps
    5.Lying Tricep Extension - 3 sets X 12 -15 Reps

My concerns;
    Chest press; I did this lying on the bed, it was a bit difficult as i couldnt let my arms drop as far as they should.
    The first set I mixed my technique a bit, trying to find out which was felt best, then i waited 30 seconds
    2nd set laid my arms out wide and brought then up in an arc in front of me, which is not what is shown in the video i realise and i primairly felt it in my tricep.
    3rd set (after watching the vid again) I tried to do it more like he did, just raising straight up, though not being able to pull back as far im not sure how effective this was, it felt a bit off, and primairly (really) effected my forearm, my left one to be exact.

Im new to exercising proeoperly, so this doing 3 sets of 15 reps is not something im used to. I used to do just 1 set till almost failure of pushups/sit ups/bicep curls (the only exercises i used to do) So my question here is, are the second and third sets meant to be harder or are you meant to be fully recovered in the 30seconds between each set? (because im not!!)

Next questions:
    are more bicep curls really neccesary when theyre already included in the previous workout?
    And is the tricep extension thingy neccesary, im guessing it trains the tricep, i feel its easy enough to train tricep with pushups, could i replace it with them?

Lastly;
    for the first two exercises i kept my dumbells as heavy as i could, and for the rows especially, maybe this was too much, they totally killed me doing that 3 times.
    For each of the exercises, how much weight would you reccommend i have on the dumbell, in terms of High-mid-Low
    My guess would be something like
    Chest Press High as possible
    2.Dumbbell Rows Mid-high
    3.Squat,Bicep Curl and Shoulder Press -(low)?-Mid (i have to lift it over my head!)
    4.Alternate Dumbbell Curl - (Mid)?-high
    5.Lying Tricep Extension - low-mid

Then again i know that i can just experiment with what weights are comfortable but challenging in completing the 15reps for 3 sets, but Im curious that i have never seen different weights for different exercises mentioned anywhere but we must surely change weightage for different exercises.

p.s is it okay to have a little lie down in between exercises?

Advertisement