Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Junior Club Semi Final

• 22-01-2012 7:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Wasn't at the game but listened to the match on the radio but according to the commentators, the Tyrone teams behaviour was appalling. A Dromid player drove a guy over the line with a shoulder in the first half and it led to a melee, with the Tyrone teams subs jumping over the hoarding from their position in the stand and punching and kicking Dromid players. Mentors also got involved. According to the the Dromid commentators subs stayed in the stand.

Declan Sullivan was the subject of endless intimidation, late belts and verbal abuse. During the first half incident, two of the Tyrone players tried to throw Declan over the hoarding into the stand. He also got a lot of abuse after the game.

Was anyone at the game that could give a better account of what happened?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

I listened to the 2nd half of the game and judging by the commentary of the Radio Kerry commentary team Derrytresk were doing nothing but belting and fighting all over the field yet the Tyrone team winning the game by 7 points and Dromid having 2 players sent off would suggest a different story?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Tyrone club teams seem to be in trouble all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

declan sullivan assaulted and also attacked with a f*cking handbag after the game.

you couldnt make it up. what sort of animals are involved in tyrone club football?

Tyrone club teams seem to be in trouble all the time.
    Yes there's no denying that,there seems to be a lot of trouble with games involving Tyrone club sides. There seems to be a very bitter rivalry after developing between Kerry and Tyrone in the last decade or so in both county and club games. I would like to get an opinion from someone who was at the game rather than judge what was been said on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭shockframe

declan sullivan assaulted and also attacked with a f*cking handbag after the game.

you couldnt make it up. what sort of animals are involved in tyrone club football?

Ah sure it was only handbags stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Was at the game today..Teams were evenly matched throughout prob overall the better team won but the extra man really killed Dromid..Hard game prob what you would expect for a tense close AI semi-final..But...In the first half the invasion of Subs and Spectators on the field was just mind blowing,Whatever about subs running on to get involved with a brawl but fúcking Fans!!! Video evidence should be used to ban these "Fans" from the association..Then as we approach the final few minutes the Derrytresk "Fans" line the pitch for a pitch invasion..Ok they have just qualified for an All Ireland final..The PA announces not to enter the pitch..While about 25 stewards hide in the corner of the field??
    The final whistle goes and i see 3 Dromid players attacked by "Fans"..Not good enough..When players batter each other it's one thing but spectators joining in is down right wrong

I think it's disgusting when certain players (normally intercounty) get singled out.

My mate said they played game up there before and they were locked into the dressing rooms afterwards and were there for 2 hours just getting abuse and it was Under 15 game. Wtf like?

I mean if you saw English soccer fans do that we call them all sorts.

No place for it in any Sport, on or off the field especially GAA, which im afraid is getting worse for things like this today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Sounds like alot of shít hitting the fan alright. In this day and age I can only presume that there is alot of video coverage of the unsavoury incidents.
    It would do the game the world of good to see the club fúcked out of the competition and Dromid reinstated, this cannot go unpunihed. Fans, selectors, subs and players of a club have a responsibility to the club, they failed miserably today. and should be duly punished

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Sounds like alot of shít hitting the fan alright. In this day and age I can only presume that there is alot of video coverage of the unsavoury incidents.
    It would do the game the world of good to see the club fúcked out of the competition and Dromid reinstated, this cannot go unpunihed. Fans, selectors, subs and players of a club have a responsibility to the club, they failed miserably today. and should be duly punished

It happens everywhere to be fair not just in Tyrone. Kerry is no sacred place from this either, I've been to many club games there and the fighting amongst players and spectators is apalling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Dromid call for fight to be investigated

Declan O'Sullivan was struck by a handbag during a mass fight at the Dromid v Derrytresk match

Monday, 23 January 2012 07:23
    There have been calls for an investigation after a mass brawl marred the All-Ireland Junior Football Championship semi-final between Dromid Pearses of Kerry and Derrytresk of Tyrone on Sunday.
    The brawl erupted just before half-time and saw officials and substitutes from both sides enter the field of play. Dromid midfielder Thomas Curran was concussed during the incident and unable to play the second half. It is also claimed that Kerry star Declan O'Sullivan was struck by a handbag.

Derrytresk were ahead by a point at half-time and went to claim a 1-10 to 0-7 victory in Portlaoise, a neutral venue.

Dromid selector and Kerry county board officer Diarmuid O Se complained about a lack of security for players and called on the GAA to investigate using video evidence.
    He said: "While Derrytresk beat us comprehensively on the day, I thought that some of the scenes out there were some of the most disgraceful I have ever witnessed at a football game.
    "I cannot understand how the GAA can allow this to happen. There was no security there today for our players.

"Declan O'Sullivan got struck by a handbag and was struck by a Derrytresk supporter as well. That was seen by a steward and the Garda have it documented but I don't think Declan will be doing anything about it.
    "The GAA have video evidence available and maybe it's time to use it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 devlin159

there seems to be an element within the gaa that think there hardmen just because they play a sport the fact is half these clowns proabably no nothing about gaa they use gaa as a way to try and act hard but and think there better than everyone but when people stand up to them they dont like it. These thugs need to be hunted out of the gaa and banned from playing gaa for life they think gaa is about fighting the fact is its good to be strong and all so you can push opponents off of you put these clowns have no respect for the gaa or the clubs they play against it goes against the whole ethos of the gaa disgraceful scenes and as someone say fans getting involved is a disgrace these people need banned and brought to justice growing men acting llke this a sad day for the gaa imo do the right thing these people must be brought to justice and the worse thing is these players/fans etc will proabably brag about in the bus on the way home they should be ashamed disgraceful behiovior no place for that in a sport thats meant to bring ireland and communties together.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 devlin159

Sorry for any grammar and spelling mistakes there i rushed my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

dartbhoy wrote: »
    I listened to the 2nd half of the game and judging by the commentary of the Radio Kerry commentary team Derrytresk were doing nothing but belting and fighting all over the field yet the Tyrone team winning the game by 7 points and Dromid having 2 players sent off would suggest a different story?

Radio Kerry is probably the most biased commentary that anyone could listen to. if Dromid had won the game there would be little or no focus on the "handbag" issue. it would be laughed off.
    watched Declan O'Sullivan in a club game a while back and he is no angel either.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

washman3 wrote: »

Radio Kerry is probably the most biased commentary that anyone could listen to. if Dromid had won the game there would be little or no focus on the "handbag" issue. it would be laughed off.
    watched Declan O'Sullivan in a club game a while back and he is no angel either.;)
    I listen to radio Kerry frequently and yes they have green and gold tinted spectacles at times however from various reports what went on yesterday was appalling declan o s amongst others was simply targeted from start to finish and did well to hold his head imo .his previous behaviour angelic or not is not relevant , to be hit and assaulted after the game is outragous, something very rotten amongst tyrone fans at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

It's time for the GAA to get tough with Tyrone. It has developed a reputation for brutal violence that far outweighs any other county. And even in the stand at Croker some of the stuff that goes on with Tyrone fans is sickening.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of slagging and banter but at the last Tyrone game I attended, I had to restrain myself from becoming involved with a group of Tyrone 'fans' who were off their heads on something harder than drink, oblivious to the fact that there were young kids around them. Tyrone has a real behaviour problem and the GAA need to act now to sort this problem out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

not just Tyrone, but all these brawls with fans etc joining in should be punished to the limit. Corofin got punished and did nothing but whinge after it and appeal. That club in Antrim got their appeal heard and punishment reduced, so the referee they attacked since retired. Its ridiculous, the GAA need to make a stand, and send a memo to clubs that anysort of behavious like this will see the club thrown out and a hefty fine put in. would see how many palyers or fans would be so quick to jump in and start fights then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Iv seen people that are actually defending what happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Tyrone and thuggery are linked far too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Let me start by saying I was not at the game.

Tyrone have developed this reputation over the last few years, despite producing some of the finest players ever to play Gaelic Football, but the G.A.A. can no longer stand by and pay lip service to people who are doing their best to provide Gaelic Games to the young people in the face of stiff competition from other sports. This is putting people off big time.

The G.A.A. is based on some great rivaleries, Dublin v Meath Cork v Kerry Galway v Mayo not to mention some great club rivaleries and these are often tough encounters but never do they decend into the the thuggery that happened yesterday. Look back on Dublin up in Omagh and the Kerry game last year. Thats not tough its plain dirt and intimidation.

Its shameful to to hear news like this on radio today. This is happening all to often and it has to be stopped. From what I have listend to these thugs should be thrown out of the competition. End of story.

Its worth noting there are some great people involved in G.A.A. activities in Tyrone who want nothing to do with this type of behaviour and we should be careful not to tar them all with the same brush, but get the thugs out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

It's time for the GAA to get tough with Tyrone. It has developed a reputation for brutal violence that far outweighs any other county. And even in the stand at Croker some of the stuff that goes on with Tyrone fans is sickening.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of slagging and banter but at the last Tyrone game I attended, I had to restrain myself from becoming involved with a group of Tyrone 'fans' who were off their heads on something harder than drink, oblivious to the fact that there were young kids around them. Tyrone has a real behaviour problem and the GAA need to act now to sort this problem out.

I'm from Kerry and I absolutely agree with this. The Tyrone team and the lowlife types they attract as supporters have been involved in far too many incidents over the previous few years.

I have been at almost every match between our two sides over the past decade and there are always incidents. There supporters are drunken hooligans of the lowest type. People here like to complain about Dublin supporters and schmozzles between Cork and Kerry lads but nothing compares to the sheer violence and absolute hatred from Tyrone. I would not take a child to any match involving Tyrone as they are no different to soccer hooligans.

It is a county wide issue up there and rather than tackling violence the GAA up there actively promote it to intimidate the other team out of their way. I hope the GAA bans Derrytresk from the competition and gives the Galway team a walkover and award them the championship.

Will there be anything done about? Like hell there will but I can guarantee if it was a Cork, Dublin or Kerry club involved in such violence then the CCCC would be down them like a tonne of bricks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

The game was recorded so that's the only conclusive way to answer exactly what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Stinicker wrote: »
    I'm from Kerry and I absolutely agree with this. The Tyrone team and the lowlife types they attract as supporters have been involved in far too many incidents over the previous few years.

I have been at almost every match between our two sides over the past decade and there are always incidents. There supporters are drunken hooligans of the lowest type. People here like to complain about Dublin supporters and schmozzles between Cork and Kerry lads but nothing compares to the sheer violence and absolute hatred from Tyrone. I would not take a child to any match involving Tyrone as they are no different to soccer hooligans.

It is a county wide issue up there and rather than tackling violence the GAA up there actively promote it to intimidate the other team out of their way. I hope the GAA bans Derrytresk from the competition and gives the Galway team a walkover and award them the championship.

Will there be anything done about? Like hell there will but I can guarantee if it was a Cork, Dublin or Kerry club involved in such violence then the CCCC would be down them like a tonne of bricks.

Glad it's not just me who noticed. I had meant to say that this year will be the first time I'll be bringing my five-year-old son to see the Dubs and it sure as hell won't be against Tyrone.

Have always had major time for Northern teams and still do players and most mangers come across as sound out.

But when I was at the Cork v Tyrone game in 2009 one thing that struck me about Tyrone supporters behind and in front of me if you were blind man you would swear you were at boxing match.

They just kept shouting "hit him" "smack him" "show him who boss" that type of thing rather then telling there playing to make pass or encourage to play football. In a way it was bit scary I have to admit and I have been to so called tough English Football grounds, but this was more frightening cause no protection from them.

Now I will admit I met few after the game and we had great criac with them so don't want to tarnish them all under same brush, I know few Cork fans are no saints, but that day really struck me about how they were willing to win a game at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

The number of people posting about their experiences with certain Tyrone supporters is remarkable. There has been one time in my life when I felt genuinely threatened at a football match, and it was the 2003 semi-final against Tyrone.

I was on Hill 16, with two female friends, and a gang of about 6 Tyrone lads arrived down in front of us. They were all drunk, some more than others, and one of them clearly had something other than alcohol in his system.

My vivid memory of the game is Tyrone scoring a point in the first half, and this guy turning around and bellowing in our faces from about 6 inches away. I told him where to go, and was duly abused by him and his friends, who physically threatened me. I alerted a steward, who did sweet f**k all, and we moved to a different part of the hill. There was another crowd of Tyrone supporters near us who very vocal about about how "f**king ****e" Kerry were, and how the Kerry fans could all f**k off home.

It was the ugliest atmosphere I've experienced, and I've been going to championship matches regularly since 1986. At the 2008 semi-final double header in 2008, there were 5 Tyrone lads behind me in the Cusack Stand, and 2 of them they were so drunk they had to be carried out of the stadium before the Tyrone match even started.

There are plenty of good natured Tyrone supporters I've had the pleasure of meeting, but i've encountered a number of nasty individuals, far more than any other county, and it's seriously unpleasant to experience in person.

I won't comment on the specifics of yesterday's game because I wasn't there, but I'm less than surprised that a Tyrone club is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

this is not a eliable source to be basing anything on tbh-"local radio commentary team complain" shock!!
    Prop Joe wrote: »
    Was at the game today..Teams were evenly matched throughout prob overall the better team won but the extra man really killed Dromid..Hard game prob what you would expect for a tense close AI semi-final..But...In the first half the invasion of Subs and Spectators on the field was just mind blowing,Whatever about subs running on to get involved with a brawl but fúcking Fans!!! Video evidence should be used to ban these "Fans" from the association..Then as we approach the final few minutes the Derrytresk "Fans" line the pitch for a pitch invasion..Ok they have just qualified for an All Ireland final..The PA announces not to enter the pitch..While about 25 stewards hide in the corner of the field??
    The final whistle goes and i see 3 Dromid players attacked by "Fans"..Not good enough..When players batter each other it's one thing but spectators joining in is down right wrong

this makes a nonense of all the Corofin bitching last year and mr cooney's assertion that club championship games being in county grounds
    JFlah wrote: »
    I listen to radio Kerry frequently and yes they have green and gold tinted spectacles at times however from various reports what went on yesterday was appalling declan o s amongst others was simply targeted from start to finish and did well to hold his head imo .his previous behaviour angelic or not is not relevant , to be hit and assaulted after the game is outragous, something very rotten amongst tyrone fans at the moment.

i've no problem with declan O, one of the best players i've seen playing in my lifetime, but kerry teams are well able in general to target players whn it suits them.

there is a bigger picture here IMO and it relates to who s responsible for 'supporters' behaviour. I don't know what the answer is but too often clubs and co bds hide behind excuses ane technicalities to condone bad behaviour from crowds at games

Well after reading Prop Joe's post and the report on the game in today's examiner It's fair to say some of the Derrytresk supporters were way out of order yesterday.

In the examiner report the Dromid management team were gracious enough to admit that Derrytresk were the better team but their biggest complaint was the fact that some of their players were attacked by the Tyrone team's supporters and this is something that's totally out of order and should have never happened. There has been too many incidents of this nature happening far too frequently the past few years and here the GAA authorities must take the rap for not clamping down on it.

The bottom line here is that the GAA need to have a full investigation into yesterday's carry on and need to identify the incidents and troublemakers. They need to investigate where were the stewards when supporters entered the field. Calls for Derrytresk to be thrown out of the All Ireland are OTT IMO. Yes they have fans that caused trouble yesterday but I'm sure the majority of their support behaved themselves and the club shouldn't be thrown out because a few "heroes" took it upon themselves to give the Kerry boys a good hiding in their eyes!

I hope yesterday would set a precedent for the GAA to make sure this type of carry on doesn't happen again and set new rules and regulations in place but sadly I feel we'll be discussing something of this nature again in the not too distant future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Well after reading Prop Joe's post and the report on the game in today's examiner It's fair to say some of the Derrytresk supporters were way out of order yesterday.

In the examiner report the Dromid management team were gracious enough to admit that Derrytresk were the better team but their biggest complaint was the fact that some of their players were attacked by the Tyrone team's supporters and this is something that's totally out of order and should have never happened. There has been too many incidents of this nature happening far too frequently the past few years and here the GAA authorities must take the rap for not clamping down on it.

The bottom line here is that the GAA need to have a full investigation into yesterday's carry on and need to identify the incidents and troublemakers. They need to investigate where were the stewards when supporters entered the field. Calls for Derrytresk to be thrown out of the All Ireland are OTT IMO. Yes they have fans that caused trouble yesterday but I'm sure the majority of their support behaved themselves and the club shouldn't be punished because a few "heroes" took it upon themselves to give the Kerry boys a good hiding in their eyes!

I hope yesterday would set a precedent for the GAA to make sure this type of carry on doesn't happen again and set new rules and regulations in place but sadly I feel we'll be discussing something of this nature again in the not too distant future!
    A full investigation is needed and you cant say that the club shouldnt be punished for the actions of a small few. If they were thrown out of the comp maybe it might mean the actions of those idiots who acted yesterday and who call themselves sportsfans may never happen again.

The majority of fans at the game did behave themselves but if throwing the club out of the all ireland lessens the chances of something like what happened yesterday happening again then that should be the decision. It isnt fair to those players and supporters who behaved themselves. But a punishment is needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Tyrone.

ormond lad wrote: »
    A full investigation is needed and you cant say that the club shouldnt be punished for the actions of a small few. If they were thrown out of the comp maybe it might mean the actions of those idiots who acted yesterday and who call themselves sportsfans may never happen again.

The majority of fans at the game did behave themselves but if throwing the club out of the all ireland lessens the chances of something like what happened yesterday happening again then that should be the decision. It isnt fair to those players and supporters who behaved themselves. But a punishment is needed
    I agree punishment is needed but personally I don't think throwing out Derrytresk is the answer. The club needs to be heavily fined,their supporters who caused the trouble Identified and banned and the club put on probation as regards their future behaviour.

• Advertisement

No one think of checking Youtube?.....

Why these games aren't policed properly is baffling.

The Guards should have been there to arrest anyone who wasn't officially togged for the game who jumped the boardings, they appear to be club members but they don't look like subs to me, more spectators IMO.

Advertisement