Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster Ceramics kilns Vs others

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

.........if anyone has any experience dealing with Ulster Ceramics at all I'd be interested. Or know whether there's a best place for buying a kiln here in dublin even cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

Hi, I have bought slip and clay from in the past and found them great to deal with.
    You will need to add VAT onto the price plus delivery and VAT on delivery. Plus it appears controllers are sold separately, although that looks a great price on the surface, it will be near enough another thousand euro on top. If not more.
    Also consider carefully whether you need a kiln of that size, I bought a similar one used from the UK and ended up selling it on as I got fed up waiting to have a load ready to fire or enough glazed with reds etc to warrant the cost. Will you always have the space to house a kiln that big, are you going stay in your current location, just getting it moved will probably need a tail lift van and hiring one ain't cheap.
    I found it much more economical to have 2 smaller kilns. One of which is a cromartie kiln approx 28 years old and still going like a trooper - great for filling to the gills for bisque firing. The other is a hobby ceramicraft studio one kiln, which I am going to upgrade to a studio two next year.
    Good luck in your choice and happy firing.

Hi, thanks for your reply on this. Very helpful. As regards VAT, I was actually just looking for people's general impression of the company as I've been looking at second hand kilns and one of them was by Ulster ceramics.

I think the most useful info you've given there might be your experience of that kiln being too big. Can't quite decide if I'm weighing up bigger options than necessary at the moment, but I'd hate to buy and then be buying again soon after with the hassle of try to sell and move another kiln as well! I have the space, but yes it's probably a question of whether I'll fill it often enough to keep myself firing.
    And what does "enough glazed with reds etc to warrant the cost" mean?

And can you tell me what is it about having two smaller kilns that you find works better for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭callee

You could also have a look locally to see if anyone does kiln rental, that way if you get yourself a smaller kiln and you can still fire larger pieces if you need to. I have a PYOP studio and we do kiln rental, as a guide for costing we charge the cost of electricity and then an extra €25 per firing, I think this is the normal kiln rental costs. Maybe someone local to you with a large kiln is willing to do something similar.

ok thanks for that advice. I won't rule out kiln rental but just really like the idea of having my own for experimenting and also the convenience. Maybe a smaller kiln and then renting for bigger stuff is something to consider. thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Dar.Fee

Hi, I have bought slip and clay from in the past and found them great to deal with.
    You will need to add VAT onto the price plus delivery and VAT on delivery. Plus it appears controllers are sold separately, although that looks a great price on the surface, it will be near enough another thousand euro on top. If not more.
    Also consider carefully whether you need a kiln of that size, I bought a similar one used from the UK and ended up selling it on as I got fed up waiting to have a load ready to fire or enough glazed with reds etc to warrant the cost. Will you always have the space to house a kiln that big, are you going stay in your current location, just getting it moved will probably need a tail lift van and hiring one ain't cheap.
    I found it much more economical to have 2 smaller kilns. One of which is a cromartie kiln approx 28 years old and still going like a trooper - great for filling to the gills for bisque firing. The other is a hobby ceramicraft studio one kiln, which I am going to upgrade to a studio two next year.
    Good luck in your choice and happy firing.

Hi there. I am looking for a kiln and I hear the studio one is the best and I read your post as you use one. Where did you buy yours and are you selling yours on any time soon.

Advertisement