Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Chit Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

lighthouse wrote: »
    Well I guess "horses for courses". Yes it is like a big secondary school but I like the atmosphere of friendliness about the place. I agree the canteen isn't the best but I tend to avail of the student specials in Scott's, what's wrong with prefabs (which incidentally will be demolished when the new extension opens), I presume you have done a survey of toilets in the EU in order to be able to substantiate your claim re. Mary I's toilets, computer facilities could be improved (but most students have laptops). Personally I haven't had any problems with Student Services. At the end of the day it's what you make of it. If I may quote John F. Kennedy "Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country" :D

I'm afraid friendliness is at a premium around Mary I.

Not everyone can afford to go to Scotts, their "student specials" arent the cheapest either, and even if they were cheap a student should not have to go there.

Prefabs are roasting in the summer, and freezing in the winter, I though that would be obvious.

The EU toilet claim, was an exaggerated claim to highlight how bad the toilets are, which I also thought would have been obvious.

Does the queue out the door of every computer room tell you that most students have laptops?

The JFK analogy is bullcrap, it should not be up to the student to improve the place

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

I'm afraid friendliness is at a premium around Mary I.

Not everyone can afford to go to Scotts, their "student specials" arent the cheapest either, and even if they were cheap a student should not have to go there.

Prefabs are roasting in the summer, and freezing in the winter, I though that would be obvious.

The EU toilet claim, was an exaggerated claim to highlight how bad the toilets are, which I also thought would have been obvious.

Does the queue out the door of every computer room tell you that most students have laptops?

The JFK analogy is bullcrap, it should not be up to the student to improve the place

Regarding Scott's I consider their specials at 8 Euro very good value and excellent food. Students don't have to go there, it is simply an alternative.
    I have never encountered the problems that you have mentioned regarding the prefabs. In fact some of the lecture rooms in the main building are like ovens during winter because of excessive heat.
    Glad you clarified the point about the toilets, I was beginning to wonder how you had time for College what with surveying toilets across the EU.
    There will always be queues just before assignment deadlines. I do accept facilities are inadequate but I'm not sure how this arguement backs up your claim of hating the place.
    Finally I have to disagree with you on my JFK analogy. Thank God all the students in Mary I don't have your attitude, otherwise we'd have no students union, students union executive, class reps etc.
    I rest my case.

Regarding Scott's I consider their specials at 8 Euro very good value and excellent food. Students don't have to go there, it is simply an alternative.
    I have never encountered the problems that you have mentioned regarding the prefabs. In fact some of the lecture rooms in the main building are like ovens during winter because of excessive heat.
    Glad you clarified the point about the toilets, I was beginning to wonder how you had time for College what with surveying toilets across the EU.
    There will always be queues just before assignment deadlines. I do accept facilities are inadequate but I'm not sure how this arguement backs up your claim of hating the place.
    Finally I have to disagree with you on my JFK analogy. Thank God all the students in Mary I don't have your attitude, otherwise we'd have no students union, students union executive, class reps etc.
    I rest my case.

*€8 five days a week is €40 at Scotts, hardly within a student budget
    *It's the 21st century, there shoud be no prefabs in secondary schools let alone colleges
    *No problem on clarifying the toilet issue, given that you have trouble spotting sarcasm
    *You accept that facilities are inadequate, and then you don't see how this argument backs up why I hate the place. ?????????
    *The college should look after the student, before the student looks after the college

I rest my case

*€8 five days a week is €40 at Scotts, hardly within a student budget
    *It's the 21st century, there shoud be no prefabs in secondary schools let alone colleges
    *No problem on clarifying the toilet issue, given that you have trouble spotting sarcasm
    *You accept that facilities are inadequate, and then you don't see how this argument backs up why I hate the place. ?????????
    *The college should look after the student, before the student looks after the college

I rest my case

We could go on like this all day. I have made my points. Just one further point, I know of numerous people who work/recreate/pass time etc. in facilities that are inadequate yet they love what they do. Might I suggest your reasons for hating the place might have something to do with yourself rather than the College!

We could go on like this all day. I have made my points. Just one further point, I know of numerous people who work/recreate/pass time etc. in facilities that are inadequate yet they love what they do. Might I suggest your reasons for hating the place might have something to do with yourself rather than the College!

If they are happy with what they do in INADEQUATE facilities, then they probably have never been to another college.

Hating the place is seeing the place for what it is.

• Advertisement

If they are happy with what they do in INADEQUATE facilities, then they probably have never been to another college.

Hating the place is seeing the place for what it is.

I wasn't referring to students in Colleges. Just one example, take for instance the thousands of people who take part in voluntary activities in their local communities in inadequate facilities who love what they do.
    Personally, as a mature student this is my third time in a third level College and I would never cite the facilities as a reason for hating a place.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I continue to gape mouth wide open when I visit UL, such are the differences in facilities. I am saying nothing about the people or the courses, but the place itself, wow...

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I continue to gape mouth wide open when I visit UL, such are the differences in facilities. I am saying nothing about the people or the courses, but the place itself, wow...

Exactly, but hopefully with the extension that will change. But there is still no new library planned (at least I don't think there is).

The present library is tiny.

Lighthouse Said:

I would never cite the facilities as a reason for hating a place.

Well I guess that is where we differ...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

The toilets in the Library building are daycent enough.

But, yeah, we're running low in the facilities department alright. I still like it though. Nice people.

• Advertisement

The people are a bit... TOO nice, if you get my drift. No one ever gets angry or anything. Always super happy! :confused:

The people are a bit... TOO nice, if you get my drift. No one ever gets angry or anything. Always super happy! :confused:
    Nice way to be, wish I was like that.

Really? It'd drive me insane!

and not to mention the mature students who know it all, asking questions they know the answers to. They are a disaster at tutorials.:mad:

and not to mention the mature students who know it all, asking questions they know the answers to. They are a disaster at tutorials.:mad:

2 points : 1. If you can't win your arguement by its own merits is it fair to attack the other person by virtue of their status?
    2. Notwithstanding the previous point, it is of no relevance whatsoever, I suppose mature students are unique to Mary I!

2 points : 1. If you can't win your arguement by its own merits is it fair to attack the other person by virtue of their status?
    2. Notwithstanding the previous point, it is of no relevance whatsoever, I suppose mature students are unique to Mary I!

So asking questions you already know the answer to, is now part of an argument? Well that's a new one...

So asking questions you already know the answer to, is now part of an argument? Well that's a new one...

Not quite sure why you put my reply in quotes when you don't addresse the content of my quotes. Then I suppose it's difficult for you when you know your arguement is already crumbling at the foundations. Keep digging my boy.

Not quite sure why you put my reply in quotes when you don't addresse the content of my quotes. Then I suppose it's difficult for you when you know your arguement is already crumbling at the foundations. Keep digging my boy.

Don't be so childish by claiming victory in your argument already, especially with the use of 2crumbling at the foundations" piece of imagery, bit dramatic don't you think, and the reason why highlighted your post is that I'm not really sure what you were tring to get at...

Peace out...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

if you think MaryI has poor facilities, primary education is going to be an awful shock, when you land in most schools

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Lighthouse, Munsterdevil, stop acting petulant and posting like children.

If you can't bear that in mind and treat the forum as your playground, then I don't have a problem putting you outside the door and pull your access to the forum.

Politeness is so cheap that you can spend all you have and still have more. Take a few pills of calm the frick down please.

• Advertisement

So, eh, any questions about Mary I? :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is anyone else having trouble accessing their student e-mail accounts?

An File wrote: »
    Is anyone else having trouble accessing their student e-mail accounts?

The answer to your question is here my good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

EddyC15 wrote: »
    Hmmm... Dark Onion, eh?

I think I know your true identity. Thanks to An File.

I think I know his too...

And I think I may know yours :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Purplepenguin

Anyone here starting in mary i next week?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

An File is in Mary I, hasn't been too much mention this week.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Both D4rk Onion and I will be starting 3rd Year this semester, so we'll hardly be in the college at all until January.

Hello Purplepenguin, welcome to hell...

We have a thread which got buried extremely fast! Here it is...

Could the mods merge, please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

Hello Purplepenguin, welcome to hell...

Is it that bad?:confused:

• Advertisement

pjtb wrote: »
    Is it that bad?:confused:

Nothing is ever really "that bad" ;)
    It's true that Mary Immaculate College does take some getting used to.
    People like D4rk Onion and I would be quite cynical about the place, for our own reasons. I will say this: if you are not of strong Catholic belief, you will be annoyed from time to time.
    There are many, many bright sides to the college too though :)

Advertisement