Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chain saw

• 06-02-2012 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭

I recently looked at my fathers chain saw its a stihl farmboy. its not been used in about tens or more. Would it be a good idea to start it. Is it a good model.

Also how do you do the fuel mixer.

I was also in the local woods and I noticed loads of tree left around that were cut down when I was younger. Can some one go in and cut them up. They are pretty big logs and loads are been covered by grass thats growing around them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Never heard of a farm boy, possibly a farm boss ms 290. If so they are a good saw. As for going into a local forestry and cutting timber it's not allowed. Unless it's a private wood and you get permission. Hope that helps, oh 40:1 mix for that saw should be ok. Just do usual checks first, as in clean air filter empty old fuel if any in it and maybe a carb clean but see how it runs first.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 peter o reilly

Cena its a farm boss you have and after been lying wont start that easy you will have to have carb cleaned ,new spark plug ect but they are a great saw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Take it for a service, stihl are a good brand and it will be worth the 50 euro to get it checked and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 garbarrage

At that age it's most likely an 029, nearly the same as a MS290. The fuel mixture for all Stihl saws is 50:1, unless you believe what some are saying about additives in the fuel, in which case, its one shot to 4 1/2litres of petrol. I've still been running at 50:1 daily for the last 2 years and had no problems.

The 038 and 039 also carried the name Farm Boss for a while, and I think possibly one of the 04 series. IMO they are all good saws so get it running and you are on to a winner. Couldn't say which one you have without seeing a photo of it. Either way, take it to a shop and they'll have it running for you in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

Ya ye are right is a farm boss. It does not have the safety cut off this where hand does by in the newer chain saw. I got it started one and all I could remember was been in the woods with my dad over 20years ago cutting trees down for the local saw mill.

I do I get the right fuel mix. Where could I go to use it just to have ago with it.

I can put up a photo later if ye want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Did it start easy or did you prime the carb with some petrol?
    Youll get the mix in most hardware stores, woodies even. Two stroke oil for a chainsaw is the stuff your looking for.
    Youll manage with out the chain brake, just be careful, I know you would be anyway.
    Get some steel toe caps and a face guard for the hard hat, dust an chips do blow into eyes.

I put a small bit of petrol in the carb. It started after a few goes.

cena wrote: »
    Ya ye are right is a farm boss. It does not have the safety cut off this where hand does by in the newer chain saw. I got it started one and all I could remember was been in the woods with my dad over 20years ago cutting trees down for the local saw mill.

I do I get the right fuel mix. Where could I go to use it just to have ago with it.

I can put up a photo later if ye want

Love to see a photo of it. You used a chainsaw before? If not I'd give it a miss if it doesn't have a chainbrake. If you ignore this and I feel you probably will, get some proper chainsaw boots and some chainsaw pants. Beg, borrow, or steal them if you have to. Kick-back on those older saws can be particularly brutal.

Consider getting yourself on a chainsaw course. These guys offer FREE chainsaw safety workshops and are well worth taking the time: http://www.treecareireland.com/workshops.asp
    Kev is a top bloke and will show you how to get the most out of it. And how to service it and properly sharpen it.

garbarrage wrote: »
    Love to see a photo of it. You used a chainsaw before? If not I'd give it a miss if it doesn't have a chainbrake. If you ignore this and I feel you probably will, get some proper chainsaw boots and some chainsaw pants. Beg, borrow, or steal them if you have to. Kick-back on those older saws can be particularly brutal.

Consider getting yourself on a chainsaw course. These guys offer FREE chainsaw safety workshops and are well worth taking the time: http://www.treecareireland.com/workshops.asp
    Kev is a top bloke and will show you how to get the most out of it. And how to service it and properly sharpen it.

To be honest I've a cousin that works for thw esb that cuts trees down lives down the road from me. I could ask him to have a look at the saw for me. I live near murrays saw mill in ballygar. So alot of the lads around here at one time would of worked in the woods cutting down the trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

Question .
    1. Wheres the Chain break
    2. The chain cacher .
    3. Has it anti vib .
    No chain break no work , no chain cacher no work .
    Looks a leathal machine to use when you take in the saftey consideration in . Lovely looking saw thou , its fit for the mantle piece .
    T :D

teepee wrote: »
    Question .
    1. Wheres the Chain break
    2. The chain cacher .
    3. Has it anti vib .
    No chain break no work , no chain cacher no work .
    Looks a leathal machine to use when you take in the saftey consideration in . Lovely looking saw thou , its fit for the mantle piece .
    T :D

There's no problem using that saw for personal use. The only problem would be if you provide it to somebody who works for you, as in that situation it's not "fit for purpose". The legislation is purely H&S employment law.

Not really recommended for someone with little or no prior chainsaw experience though as there are newer models available that are a little bit "safer". It's not even the lack of chain-brake I'd be concerned about. It's the lack of inertia Brake. The one that engages the chainbrake in the event of severe kickback.

Lovely looking saw though, been a while since I've seen one of them in action.

Fine saw. Looks like it's older than an 029. Make sure you don;t take too much off them rakers without a chainbrake though;)

There is no chain break on it like the ones you can buy these days it's that old. Can a chain break be fitted.

I have a feeling it's a 041 model from the vids on YouTube. I could be wrong.

Yeah I think you're right on the 041 part Cena. More of a collectors saw nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats an old 041, there was a few different versions.
    Rev to about 7000 rpm!
    They are like using a tractor compared to a modern car.
    I'd put it away as a collectors piece as parts will be hard to get if you break anything.

Yeah I agree with CJ, it's a real slugger compared to the newer saws and that 041 farmboss model had no av mounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

The 041 weren't a bad saw used to shake themselves apart with the vibration tho!
    If I was you I'd forget about using it for more than a twenty minutes at a time or you'll know all about White finger!!

I wasn't going to say anything but it does shake mad when been used, I thought it was just me with not using one before

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

As i said in question number 3 theres no anit Vibarate , you dont what to get WHITE FINGER , as prevoius post said its ok to use with out saftey measures in place , yes it might be as it will cut timber . but whats the price of a hand or a foot when it comes to health and saftey it should never be under stated that your saftey comes first , if a incident happens with a chainsaw you will be the rest of your life paying for it so why not for the sake of a few hunderd euro by a proper chainsaw like a ms390 and the pants , gloves and boots .

• Advertisement

Already paying the price for one hand. Was in accident a few years back and damaged my hand

Advertisement