Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Self Publishing - ISBN codes

• 03-09-2013 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi, I'm publishing a graphic novel and I was wondering has anyone any experience with ISBN's. I'm aware of their purpose and their necessity for wider distribution, but has anyone here any experience with self-publishing graphic novels and have you purchased (or not purchased) ISBN's, and if so, through what publishers/companies/websites?

I would only require one so wouldn't be going through the main distributor (Nielsen). If I'm getting one, it would be through an independent publisher or ISBN agent (Like the Independent Publishing Network). I'm not terribly sure of the legal ramifications of that course of action and what it means in regards copyright.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I haven't dealt with this directly myself, so obviously advice from those with practical experience should be given higher priority than this post. Having said that...

One thing I've seen mentioned is the weird sliding scale in cost for ISBN numbers - Gordon McAlpin of Multiplex Comic mentioned in one of his Kickstarter updates that single ISBN number costs something like $125, but a block of 100 costs $575. So it's probably worth giving your longer-term publishing plan some serious thought - for example, if you're planning on serialising it in print or as digital issues, or on releasing it in multiple formats, you'll need multiple codes. If you're looking at print publishing, you'll almost certainly want barcode images of your ISBN as well (available through sites like this).

There's a US-oriented FAQ here that may help you - in particulary, there should be no transfer of rights involved in purchasing an ISBN number.

(As far as Ipubnet goes, I'm automatically a bit wary of any organisation - no matter how well-intentioned they seem - who puts something as monumentally stupid as "Links to this website: You may not create a link to any page of this website without our prior written consent. If you do create a link to a page of this website you do so at your own risk and the exclusions and limitations set out above will apply to your use of this website by linking to it." as part of their terms - which I have now contravened...)

Advertisement